Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Making the top 8 work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

I have just finished watching an exhilarating prelim AFL final where the winner progressed to the big day.

I am a supporter of finals footy but I understand for many of us in England that this is not the cultural way to find the national champions of a club league.

What I have learned is that in AFL they use the same top 8 system as us (minus the club call). There are two main reasons why a system of 8 finalists work so well in this sport and the NRL have been trying to copy the system to reasonably good effect and we have been copying them to reasonably ill effect considering the crowd in Huddersfield.

The beauty is that the AFL is not a full home and away season where everyone plays each other once home and away like the SL (don't start talking about Magic Weekend people).

There is something like 24 rounds which means that you only play just under half the entire competition twice and the rest just once.

This gives huge credibility to a top 8 system as a particular club may have drawn many top opponents twice and faired 50:50 against those clubs while another club may have faired just as well against weaker opponents.

An Aussie theorised that finals footy does produce the best club over a season compared to an EPL system because you play the season learning both yours and your opponents strengths and weaknesses before the ultimate knock out series begins. You then play the best team you have with tactics against the opposition which you have learned.

Again I agree with this ideology.

Unfortunately, the SL falls short because we play not only a full H&A season (plus Magic) and even worse, more than half of the comp makes the finals. Worse still with club call, there is a theoretical chance that two particular clubs could play each other four times (inc CC) before the finals start and then a further two before they reach the big game. That's six fixtures against the same team in one season.

With the magic of the Cup clearly diminishing, I would much rather see the reduction of a full H&A season to less and have the CC extended into a pool format at its later stages.

IMO this could help to justify a top 8 of 14 (although I would rather see a six) and would also add a little more spice to CC fixtures as well.

Interested to hear what you think.

#2 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

How many teams are in the AFL?

It's time to park the camels.

#3 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Aren't we going to a top four play off anyway when the changes come in

#4 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Top 8 doesn't work very well in SL simply because there is too much difference in quality between 1st & 8th in SL. Top 4 from 2015 will be much better.

#5 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

It seems you're main argument for why ESL playoffs is not a success is crowds, am I right? I don't think the poor crowds has much to do with the playoff system, there are other factors (which are commonly discussed on other threads) such as ticket prices, live tv coverage, ongoing recession which accounts to these crowds.

Also you mention that the ESL playoffs aren't successful because teams get too accustomed to their competition. I actually think that this could be a reason for closer/harder fought games as teams can better prepare for their opponents.

For me this is turning into a cracking playoff season, minus the hudds v hull FC game.

#6 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

I bet the AFL match wasn't as good as this ESL playoff game. Unreal.

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Aren't we going to a top four play off anyway when the changes come in

Yep - waste of time discussing this as there's only one more season to go.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#8 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

Easies way to improve the top 8 tenfold: remove three teams. Voila!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users