Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh Season Tickets

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Leigh are doing everything they can to make life easier for all types of supporters, taking into account their needs as best they can...they have certainly listened

http://www.leighcent...ns.com/news/305

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#2 MustardBoy

MustardBoy
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Has a club ever considered a low income/low earners season ticket? Maybe it's one for Marwan, and other clubs to consider.

This mindset, that only kids, under 21s, students and 60+ have a lack of cash is mind boggling to me!I Is it assumed that all adults have plenty of disposable cash, just because they're adults? If anything, they have less due to the vast responsibility they have, not to mention the incredible increase in house prices they're now paying the price for.

I'm a graduate, due to redundancy I only earn minimum wage for 34 hours spread over 6 miserable days, as that's all I can get. Also, I'm not on my own here. This is all on top of saving up for a house, commuting costs, and absolutely zero help from anybody.

Most over 60s I know own their own home and don't have to worry about the cost of looking after kids, etc. However, they get a discount, purely due to the fact they're elderly? That's incredible thinking! This pensioners are poor way of thinking is no longer relevant with the pension credits and benefits available nowadays. Also, 60-65 is pre-pension, a period in your life when you've hopefully got your ###### in order.

I'm rambling, however I know many people in their 20-40s who are really the poor people in this country who'd love a season ticket but they've little cash left. Giving discounts to only 60+ year olds, whom I could work alongside, seems utterly barmy to me!

#3 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

Has a club ever considered a low income/low earners season ticket? Maybe it's one for Marwan, and other clubs to consider.

This mindset, that only kids, under 21s, students and 60+ have a lack of cash is mind boggling to me!I Is it assumed that all adults have plenty of disposable cash, just because they're adults? If anything, they have less due to the vast responsibility they have, not to mention the incredible increase in house prices they're now paying the price for.

I'm a graduate, due to redundancy I only earn minimum wage for 34 hours spread over 6 miserable days, as that's all I can get. Also, I'm not on my own here. This is all on top of saving up for a house, commuting costs, and absolutely zero help from anybody.

Most over 60s I know own their own home and don't have to worry about the cost of looking after kids, etc. However, they get a discount, purely due to the fact they're elderly? That's incredible thinking! This pensioners are poor way of thinking is no longer relevant with the pension credits and benefits available nowadays. Also, 60-65 is pre-pension, a period in your life when you've hopefully got your ###### in order.

I'm rambling, however I know many people in their 20-40s who are really the poor people in this country who'd love a season ticket but they've little cash left. Giving discounts to only 60+ year olds, whom I could work alongside, seems utterly barmy to me!

I'm all for creative thinking, but this is an absolute non-starter. How on earth would clubs 'assess' fans for a 'low income' ticket? Request that fans bring their wage slips with them when they make their purchase? Would they have to declare any income gained via benefits? Stretching it even further, what if a fan had two jobs and only admitted to having one? An absolute minefield.

Edited by TheTerminator, 20 September 2013 - 10:58 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

widnes have had a monthly payment scheme for over 3 years now....
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#5 MustardBoy

MustardBoy
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

I'm all for creative thinking, but this is an absolute non-starter. How on earth would clubs 'assess' fans for a 'low income' ticket? Request that fans bring their wage slips with them when they make their purchase? Would they have to declare any income gained via benefits? Stretching it even further, what if a fan had two jobs and only admitted to having one? An absolute minefield.

I know, but the notion a 28 year old on £10k a year pays full price, but a 60 year old with house paid up, kids grown up on £50k a year gets in for less just for being 60 is completely ludicrous! What's the discount for, why would a 60-64 year old need a discount??

I'm sure it would be abused by a minority, but surely I must have a point somewhere? Anyone on Self Assessment, working full time or unemployed would have proof of their income. That's a large chunk of who I'm talking about.

Surely the potential increase in ticket sales would cover any abuse. I'd have thought anything to make it affordable for everyone would be worth a shot?

#6 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

I know, but the notion a 28 year old on £10k a year pays full price, but a 60 year old with house paid up, kids grown up on £50k a year gets in for less just for being 60 is completely ludicrous! What's the discount for, why would a 60-64 year old need a discount??

I'm sure it would be abused by a minority, but surely I must have a point somewhere? Anyone on Self Assessment, working full time or unemployed would have proof of their income. That's a large chunk of who I'm talking about.

Surely the potential increase in ticket sales would cover any abuse. I'd have thought anything to make it affordable for everyone would be worth a shot?

I like the idea, to an extent it agrees with my personal ideals. However, a system that would be SO blatantly open to abuse would be unfeasible. There's also the issue of common anomalies, for instance where someone who earns £30'000 a year might have five children - and as a result face far heftier outgoings as opposed to someone on £15'000 who has no kids. How would this be accounted for? In terms of the 60+ lower price, I'd say that the vast majority of fans of that age will have watched their club for at least 25-40 years. Think of it as a bit of a loyalty bonus. Those people will have contributed a small fortune to their respective clubs over the years and deserve some small reward for that.

Edited by TheTerminator, 20 September 2013 - 11:40 PM.

Posted Image

#7 MustardBoy

MustardBoy
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:50 PM

I like the idea, to an extent it agrees with my personal ideals. However, a system that would be SO blatantly open to abuse would be unfeasible. There's also the issue of common anomalies, for instance where someone who earns £30'000 a year might have five children - and as a result face far heftier outgoings as opposed to someone on £15'000 who has no kids. How would this be accounted for? In terms of the 60+ lower price, I'd say that the vast majority of fans of that age will have watched their club for at least 25-40 years. Think of it as a bit of a loyalty bonus. Those people will have contributed a small fortune to their respective clubs over the years and deserve some small reward for that.

It wouldn't be that easy to abuse!! Surely there could be some kind of compromise... People would say what's the cut off, what about other commitments etc... But surely, offering some kind incentive to people who earn a pittance would be a winner? 

The person who's on £30k a year wouldn't get a discount, but somebody on £12k would. The example you gave isn't as straightforward, as the person on £30k with 5 kids would also be eligible for all kinds of benefits, etc.

Also, we don't know if somebody aged 60 has supported them for 25-40 years, they may be newbie's, which is all good because adding to crowds is surely the point. However, I'm sure a hardcore 60 year old fan certainly doesn't suddenly need a discount or extra incentive.

#8 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

It wouldn't be that easy to abuse!! Surely there could be some kind of compromise... People would say what's the cut off, what about other commitments etc... But surely, offering some kind incentive to people who earn a pittance would be a winner?

The person who's on £30k a year wouldn't get a discount, but somebody on £12k would. The example you gave isn't as straightforward, as the person on £30k with 5 kids would also be eligible for all kinds of benefits, etc.

Also, we don't know if somebody aged 60 has supported them for 25-40 years, they may be newbie's, which is all good because adding to crowds is surely the point. However, I'm sure a hardcore 60 year old fan certainly doesn't suddenly need a discount or extra incentive.

I dont agree with lower entrance fees for lower salaries personally, but do agree that pensioners should not pay less.

#9 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:12 AM

There are simply too many loopholes and disparities for this to work. Another one to throw into the arena would be in regard to families where both parents work for a low income wage, yet only parent attends matches. How would this be comparable to families where only one attending parent works and earns the equivalent to the one with two working guardians? Nice idea, but utterly unfeasible. In terms of the 60+ newbies concept, its obvious that the vast majority of supporters in that bracket will have been attending for the vast proportion of their lives. There's surely some scope for rewarding long service. After all we're quick to support player testimonials, and those guys actually get paid a relative fortune for turning out for a 'mere' ten years.

Edited by TheTerminator, 21 September 2013 - 12:17 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:15 AM

There are simply too many loopholes and disparities for this to work. Another one to throw into the arena would be in regard to families where both parents work for a low income wage, yet only parent attends matches. How would this be comparable to families where only one attending parent works and earns the equivalent to the one with two working guardians? Nice idea, but utterly unfeasible. In terms of the 60+ newbies concept, its obvious that the vast majority of supporters in that bracket will have been attending for the vast proportion of their lives.

Agreed. However I do agree that pensioners shouldnt get a discount nowadays

#11 MustardBoy

MustardBoy
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

My point really was in relation to over 60s getting discounts, they're not even OAPs. The theory about them being long serving fans isn't the real thinking behind elderly discounts. It because they're poor, but that's no longer the case.

I could well be out of touch, but I'm sure something could be done to lower ticket prices/attract more fans, even if Sky offset some costs to make the spectacle more interesting, and more attractive to sponsors, etc. Ticket prices, as they stand, are just too expensive for a low earner.

These long serving fans will be in shorter supply in future years, as the elderly fans die off, and many fans who can't afford to go aren't in the habit of attending. I'm sure something could/should be done.

#12 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:55 AM

My point really was in relation to over 60s getting discounts, they're not even OAPs. The theory about them being long serving fans isn't the real thinking behind elderly discounts. It because they're poor, but that's no longer the case.

I could well be out of touch, but I'm sure something could be done to lower ticket prices/attract more fans, even if Sky offset some costs to make the spectacle more interesting, and more attractive to sponsors, etc. Ticket prices, as they stand, are just too expensive for a low earner.

These long serving fans will be in shorter supply in future years, as the elderly fans die off, and many fans who can't afford to go aren't in the habit of attending. I'm sure something could/should be done.

The real issue crowd-wise is at the lower end of the food chain - in the Championships. Its almost the same price to watch my club, Batley, as it is to support the SL champions 7 miles up the road. Sadly, most of our income is spent on player wages and the prices are necessary simply to meet those demands. I'd actually say that the vast majority of part-time players earn the the crust they're entitled to in today's market, so a decrease -which, in turn, might lead to a decrease in admission prices, would be grossly unfair on them. Whichever way you look, I'm afraid there's a stumbling block and if the status quo (as precarious as it is) can't be maintained there'll be a whole load of clubs at our level who will to the wall within the next 5-10 years. In a world where a board of directors have to do a sponsored bike ride to fund stadium electrical and concreting work, there's simply no way they can afford to lower admission prices.

Edited by TheTerminator, 21 September 2013 - 01:03 AM.

Posted Image

#13 MustardBoy

MustardBoy
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:09 AM

Edited by MustardBoy, 21 September 2013 - 04:53 AM.

#14 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

I could well be out of touch, but I'm sure something could be done to lower ticket prices/attract more fans, even if Sky offset some costs to make the spectacle more interesting, and more attractive to sponsors, etc. Ticket prices, as they stand, are just too expensive for a low earner.

These long serving fans will be in shorter supply in future years, as the elderly fans die off, and many fans who can't afford to go aren't in the habit of attending. I'm sure something could/should be done.

You need to understand and accept that life isn't fair unfortunately. You only have to look at how the over 60s have been comparatively untouched by austerity measures and avoid means testing of most of their benefits to see that. Over 60s are generally more wealthy now than in the past, for the reasons you stated and others. However a culture of entitlement remains for many of this age group, that the system owes them for their loyalty and 'paying into the system' over a long time. Things like cheaper RL tickets are a spin off of that and a legacy of the past that will never change irrespective of whether it is right or wrong.

#15 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

Well, I wasn't expecting to read a thread about how Leigh might means-test their supporters.

Those prices at Leigh seem reasonable and seem to have been thought through.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#16 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

You need to understand and accept that life isn't fair unfortunately. You only have to look at how the over 60s have been comparatively untouched by austerity measures and avoid means testing of most of their benefits to see that. Over 60s are generally more wealthy now than in the past, for the reasons you stated and others. However a culture of entitlement remains for many of this age group, that the system owes them for their loyalty and 'paying into the system' over a long time. Things like cheaper RL tickets are a spin off of that and a legacy of the past that will never change irrespective of whether it is right or wrong.

Yes, it's only the over 60's who have a culture of entitlement.

#17 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

My point really was in relation to over 60s getting discounts, they're not even OAPs.

If they're women, they are.

#18 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

I could well be out of touch, but I'm sure something could be done to lower ticket prices/attract more fans, even if Sky offset some costs to make the spectacle more interesting, and more attractive to sponsors, etc. Ticket prices, as they stand, are just too expensive for a low earner.

On 4th Oct 2006 a Warrington season ticket cost £277 in the North Stand (non early bird) and £193 in the South Stand (non early bird). Our 2014 ticket prices for the same areas are £343 and £244. So, they've risen 25%, has the salary cap risen 25%? Have the salaries of non playing staff risen 25%?

On your last point, a season ticket for a sport club isn't a human right!

#19 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

Agreed. However I do agree that pensioners shouldnt get a discount nowadays

i take it you're not a pensioner

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,486 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

Proposed flat rate pension coming up in a few years is £144 a week or £7488.  That's over 25% less than Mustardboy's £10000 salary.

Not all pensioners are on £50k.  Don't know where that idea came from, yet it seems to be accepted as fact on this thread.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users