Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh Season Tickets

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

If they're women, they are.

No they're not, pension age is being harmonised, one of my employees can't get her pension until she's 62 1/2 next year.  In three years time it will be the same as men.

#22 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

This might be controversial, but I don't buy the OAP poverty lie.

I work in a place that pays pensions out to OAPs, they get plenty.

#23 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

No they're not, pension age is being harmonised, one of my employees can't get her pension until she's 62 1/2 next year.  In three years time it will be the same as men.

So, over 60's aren't pensioners? Yet you state someone who'll be 62 next year will be a pensioner

#24 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

i take it you're not a pensioner

No but I'm trying to save up for it as everyone else should be doing

#25 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

Agreed. However I do agree that pensioners shouldnt get a discount nowadays

i.e. not until Lobby retires.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#26 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

Yes, it's only the over 60's who have a culture of entitlement.

Can't find where I said they were.

#27 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 943 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

Whichever way I look at it season tickets are remarkable good value when I compare costs to other entertainments I occasionally go to over a year... 

So yep given the demographics of us typical rugby league fans it can be a struggle making ends meet.   But reality unless we think the game should be loss making the clubs do a good job in keeping season tickets low cost.

#28 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

Jeez what a pile of buzzcox with Lobby leading the way

Free under 16 with every adult and concession - well done, it gets the family doing something together be it dad/mum or grandad/ma with the kid/s. This is the biggest area non SL clubs must address as their supporter base ages, hope it works. Spreading the cost helps the low income families to take advantage of the discounts - well done, cost of parent and child a little over £6 each per game - FANTASTIC value in a state of arte stadium

Great things are happening at Leigh since the takeover, the Twinning has been dropped, great foundation/community developments and the recruitment is first class - we might even get Lobby chipping a few quid in to keep his username. Also been told there is record sponsorship on the shirt and extra salary cap has been applied for in 2014 - all on a much improved financial result

Well done my club

#29 MustardBoy

MustardBoy
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

Sorry, but I wasn't saying I feel the low earners should get a discount out of sympathy or entitlement, it was in relation to the over 60s discounts, and how clubs could encourage more people to attend.

I'm more interested in seeing crowds grow, and I want the sport become more involved. Students/youth/elderly are all allowed discounts, as they're perceived as less affluent, so the clubs still want their patronage. It seems a logical idea to me to extend that help, to find a way of encouraging the lower paid workers/unemployed, whom incidentally are likely to have higher outgoings than the other groups, access to games.

A full time worker on minimum wage earns approx. £5.50 per hour after deductions, and that's not taking into account commuting or any other costs. Therefore to attend a game would cost approx. 4 hours pay. That's not a good comeback.

Maybe not relevant? But in Germany, you can attend many Bundesliga matches for around £12 a game standing, and that includes free local transport. A different country/sport, but my points is something somewhere is wrong.

#30 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

Good on Leigh for showing some initiative, the only thing I would consider wrong is to drop your headline season ticket price, offer discounts around it for bringing in more people but don't just cut your headline price.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#31 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

The driver seems to be the three free games for those who know they will miss a few, recently the club has tried not to sell STs but three games between pay days forces many to pick games
If mustard tells me where he lives I will get him a warehouse job paying a lot more than he is on.

#32 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

Jeez what a pile of buzzcox with Lobby leading the way
Free under 16 with every adult and concession - well done, it gets the family doing something together be it dad/mum or grandad/ma with the kid/s. This is the biggest area non SL clubs must address as their supporter base ages, hope it works. Spreading the cost helps the low income families to take advantage of the discounts - well done, cost of parent and child a little over £6 each per game - FANTASTIC value in a state of arte stadium
Great things are happening at Leigh since the takeover, the Twinning has been dropped, great foundation/community developments and the recruitment is first class - we might even get Lobby chipping a few quid in to keep his username. Also been told there is record sponsorship on the shirt and extra salary cap has been applied for in 2014 - all on a much improved financial result
Well done my club

Which bit of what I said on this thread do you not agree with Sweaty?

#33 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

If mustard tells me where he lives I will get him a warehouse job paying a lot more than he is on.

You can get people well paid warehouse jobs no matter where in the country they live?

rldfsignature.jpg

#34 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 943 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Sorry, but I wasn't saying I feel the low earners should get a discount out of sympathy or entitlement, it was in relation to the over 60s discounts, and how clubs could encourage more people to attend.

I'm more interested in seeing crowds grow, and I want the sport become more involved. Students/youth/elderly are all allowed discounts, as they're perceived as less affluent, so the clubs still want their patronage. It seems a logical idea to me to extend that help, to find a way of encouraging the lower paid workers/unemployed, whom incidentally are likely to have higher outgoings than the other groups, access to games.

A full time worker on minimum wage earns approx. £5.50 per hour after deductions, and that's not taking into account commuting or any other costs. Therefore to attend a game would cost approx. 4 hours pay. That's not a good comeback.

Maybe not relevant? But in Germany, you can attend many Bundesliga matches for around £12 a game standing, and that includes free local transport. A different country/sport, but my points is something somewhere is wrong.

At Leeds an early bird season ticket for standing (south stand) works at just over £15 a game.  That seems good value to me but I accept it is hard times for a lot of us.

In Germany they have larger standing area's and hence higher volume of sales to cover cost and make a reasonable profit plus a huge commercial and sponsorship aspect to the game which allows a higher degree of subsidy to "normal" ticket pricing.  You could argue that the low cost of attendance is what brings the higher volume and hence attracts commercial and sponsorship revenues.  But that is so simplistic as to not be worth arguing given the huge presence and exposure football gets and aided by European and the International profile/game.

Lets take a simple example:

If say dropped South Stand season ticket to £10 per game that means you have to be confident of attracting an addition 50% crowd to bring in the same revenue. Ignoring whether it could hold the additional people that is a big ask.  I don't know the capacity of South Stand but lets assume 8000 and they all have season tickets that is approx £15 game = £120000.  To achieve same revenue at £10  you need to bring in extra 4000 people, namely 12000*£10=£120000. However your operating costs go up to cover the extra crowd so actually your making less. So need to attract over 50% more people.

Considering it would take time to build up the extra 4000 people assuming you where confident it was possible,  that is significant lost revenue during the period until achieve 12000 in South Stand example.   There is a point at which it is just not sound financial sense.

I think Leeds currently provides good value season ticket pricing structure.  I assume other clubs do similar.

Edited by redjonn, 22 September 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#35 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

I love the way this topic went from Leigh's season ticket prices to an "I hate pensioners" rant.

I presume someone gave Lobby a good slapping when he was young and he's never forgotten it!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#36 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Back on topic - I think that it is great that kids get in free with an Adult season ticket.

#37 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

Back on topic - I think that it is great that kids get in free with an Adult season ticket.

So can adults.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#38 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

Yes, it's only the over 60's who have a culture of entitlement.

Surely you're thinking of school leavers.

Been in the jobs market place ten minutes and they expect £20k, a company car, driving lessons and to be let off their student loans.

Edited by Griff, 24 September 2013 - 09:48 AM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#39 MustardBoy

MustardBoy
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

We're assuming that everybody in the South Stand is paying £20 a ticket? How many of those will be discounted as OAP, etc?

As a sample for a club, with an average of 8,000 attendance:

20% OAP, 15% Child/Free, 5% Student, that's only 60% who'll be paying full price.

Therefore, 4,800 tickets are sold for £20. If you dropped the price from £20 to £15, you'd need an extra 1,600 fans to cover the loss. Meaning a total of 6,400 adults paying £15, instead of 4,800 paying £20. However, that's not equal to the sum of its parts, as more than likely, there'll be extra kids taken along, more drinks/snacks and programs purchased and the club will look slightly more attractive to sponsors with an attendance of close to 10,000.

Or at clubs like Widnes, maybe a greater discrepancy in ticket pricing. Instead of £20 wherever you sit, why not £22 in the best areas, and £14 for the poorer seats?

Or, if anybody earning less than £12,000 pa/unemployed was allowed in for £10, again surely the capacity would increase even further?

However, it's all a gamble, but surely something could be done?

#40 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

We're assuming that everybody in the South Stand is paying £20 a ticket? How many of those will be discounted as OAP, etc?

As a sample for a club, with an average of 8,000 attendance:

20% OAP, 15% Child/Free, 5% Student, that's only 60% who'll be paying full price.

Therefore, 4,800 tickets are sold for £20. If you dropped the price from £20 to £15, you'd need an extra 1,600 fans to cover the loss. Meaning a total of 6,400 adults paying £15, instead of 4,800 paying £20. However, that's not equal to the sum of its parts, as more than likely, there'll be extra kids taken along, more drinks/snacks and programs purchased and the club will look slightly more attractive to sponsors with an attendance of close to 10,000.

Or at clubs like Widnes, maybe a greater discrepancy in ticket pricing. Instead of £20 wherever you sit, why not £22 in the best areas, and £14 for the poorer seats?

Or, if anybody earning less than £12,000 pa/unemployed was allowed in for £10, again surely the capacity would increase even further?

However, it's all a gamble, but surely something could be done?

In my example I was using a per game price of £15... based upon season ticket which are the majority of south standers.  So my example is still relevant and its purpose was to show how difficult it is to come up with a discounted price that still brings in the revenue needed to be a professional club.

Key of course is knowing your fan base demographics and the economic situation for your fan base whilst still trying to make a profit.  I'm assuming the clubs have long experience of this and certainly know it far better than myself.

Discount too much and don't bring in the additional fans to counter the lost revenue and you go the way of Bradford not that long ago...

Edited by redjonn, 23 September 2013 - 10:23 AM.