TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

London ....again

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

Reading one or two rumours tonight on twitter implying that something is happening with the broncos. I get the impression it isn't good. ...anyone know anything or is it just more speculation?

#2 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

What's being said?

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

Something about the owners sacking it. Could be BS just wondering if it is.

#4 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

Something happening? That rumour must've come from somebody within the club with that kind of detail.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#5 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

I could come on here and post that I had spoke to "Tabasco" my source at the Club , I could even share with you that the new set up would be announced next week with friend of the Rea family, Martine McCutcheon announced as Finance Director. With Martine's finacial acumen that might be somewhat troubling but this is Rugby League...

Unfortunately never let facts get in the way of a good tweet...

Here what is in the public domain and a few educated guesses:

• Development activity at London Broncos has ceased with the staff cut back to five. So there has been a bit of an esoteric debate on here about development in London .
  • Unless there is an annoucement by 30th September the club website and facebook page will go down as the PR Man is one of those whose contract will not be renewed. Of course Gus Mackay may have used his spare time taking up web design but I doubt it.
  • Still no word on any money received for the departures of the in-contract, Tommy Lee, Scott Wheeldon and Tony Clubb. Now although a local Wigan paper reports a fee being agreed for Clubb, Ian Lenagan is a shrewd operator and no announcement might be IFL waiting to see if Mr Clubb still has a Club next week, in which case Ian can save a bob or two. 
  • If Mr Kleanthous becomes chairman it will be on the basis of putting no money into the club. His prioritry is getting Barnet FC back into the league. Given that David Hughes is reducing his involvement financially. He could , yet again, find himself putting the money in but not being the majority shareholder as when IFL went to Wigan. That will not go down well.
  • It would appear though Broncos are / have been talking about a lease deal rather than a permanent home.
  • Stepping back a bit, apart from a few die hards who is going to travel to Barnet to watch a development side being thrashed each week.
  • The Other Super League clubs WILL NOT support Broncos getting a Federation trained exemption. And let's not forget Robertson, Kaufusi and Rodney all high wage earners, still have to be offlloaded before anyone can be brought in.

If there was a masterplan in operation things would have been wrapped up before now, as it is, there has been a Micawberish air about London Broncos future for some time now. I suspect we will all get an answer next week but as there will be a few high profile sporting announcement's it will be on a good day to bury bad news so to speak. 

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#6 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

I think that's harsh on Wigan and IFL. The delay in any Wigan announcement will linked to the timing of Sam's announcement. He would not shaft the Broncos.

#7 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

It may be harsh but I bet it's true

Also it might be that Wigan simply want to wait till their season is done before announcing signings and departures (which is what the Giants do, we've just usually finished by now lol)

#8 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

Forcing the Broncos to adhere to the same quota rules as everyone else is one of many problems here.

I've no problem with them being required to field the same number of club trained players but all the quota rule does is force them to offer excessive contracts to sub-standard players from up north.

They'd get far better value for money overseas.

#9 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

Do they?

Aside from Soward, which antipodean player gave "value for money" this year?

I daresay that Gower played okay but he certainly didn't come cheap.

Edited by Northern Sol, 22 September 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#10 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

So what exactly is broncos up too, in this crisis? Are they going to be saved or not?

#11 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:33 AM

Do they?

Aside from Soward, which antipodean player gave "value for money" this year?

I daresay that Gower played okay but he certainly didn't come cheap.

I was thinking more of the likes of Gill, Rea, Rosolen, Moran, Tyran Smith etc. I think the Broncos would get more out of teaming their juniors up with seasoned campaigners like this, rather than some bloke who couldn't cut it at Cas, Wakey or wherever and now wants top dollar to move south.

London used to recruit some outstanding but often previously unheralded overseas talent.

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,454 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

I was thinking more of the likes of Gill, Rea, Rosolen, Moran, Tyran Smith etc. I think the Broncos would get more out of teaming their juniors up with seasoned campaigners like this, rather than some bloke who couldn't cut it at Cas, Wakey or wherever and now wants top dollar to move south.

London used to recruit some outstanding but often previously unheralded overseas talent.

To be fair there were a lot of errors too but the absence of quota meant that wasn't such an issue.

I feel uncomfortable arguing that any future London team should be exempt from the cap.  For mine it's not that we can't succeed under the same rules as the rest of the comp but that having got into a position where we could do that we've suffered a collective brainache from the club's backers and leaders that's lasted from around 2007 until now.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

The thing being that in the meantime, the NRL have dramatically increased their TV deal and the Aussie dollar has become much stronger. The top British players are going to Oz; the top Aussie players are no longer interested in coming here.

And of course, the UKBA has made it more difficult for the not-quite-NRL-standard players to get visas.

I don't think it was ever a good option to sign loads of Aussies but I don't really think it exists any more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users