Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Goal line drop outs

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

I was under the impression that in RL on the line = over the line. But recently I've been seeing gldo's given for the ball being ON the try line. So surely by the earlier logic if it was on the try line that would mean it would be in the field of play? Why the exception?

It's time to park the camels.

#2 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 651 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

On the line is in the goal area. So if attacking team outs it on line try, defending team means gldo

#3 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

I was under the impression that in RL on the line = over the line. But recently I've been seeing gldo's given for the ball being ON the try line. So surely by the earlier logic if it was on the try line that would mean it would be in the field of play? Why the exception?

You contradict yourself.

The line is in goal.

#4 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

Eh, just read that back to yourself, it makes no sense

#5 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

Don't see how I contradict myself, if the attacking team grounds the ball on the try line, it is over the line and therefore is a try. So why if the defending team grounds the ball on the try line is it not 'over the line' and play on?

#6 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

Don't see how I contradict myself, if the attacking team grounds the ball on the try line, it is over the line and therefore is a try. So why if the defending team grounds the ball on the try line is it not 'over the line' and play on?

Because on the line is in goal, not 'over the line'

#7 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

The try line is in goal, which you acknowledge.

Hence, if the defending side have the ball on the line, they are tackled in goal I.e a drop out.

#8 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,670 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

I can see where the OP is coming from, but all the "if it's on the line it's over the line" rules are regarding the ball going out of the field of play.

So it's either in touch, over the try line or over the dead ball line.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#9 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

I can see where the OP is coming from, but all the "if it's on the line it's over the line" rules are regarding the ball going out of the field of play.

So it's either in touch, over the try line or over the dead ball line.

Eh?

#10 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

.....And in goal

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

You contradict yourself.

The line is in goal.

No he doesn't really.  I see his point.  The line is defined in the laws as in-goal.  It could just as easily be defined as being in the field of play. When you're making the rules up  you have to choose one or the other but the choice itself is 50/50.

The effect of these line rules is that one edge of the line is the marker.  In rugby, the inside edge of the line is the touch line, whereas in soccer it's the outside edge.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

No he doesn't really. I see his point. The line is defined in the laws as in-goal. It could just as easily be defined as being in the field of play. When you're making the rules up you have to choose one or the other but the choice itself is 50/50.

The effect of these line rules is that one edge of the line is the marker. In rugby, the inside edge of the line is the touch line, whereas in soccer it's the outside edge.

He doesn't contradict himself he's just wrong. As far as I can tell he's under the impression that the in goal line means 'over the line' if touched, it doesn't.

#13 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

Of course it's a contradiction.

He wants the try line to be in goal for the attackers and in the field of play for defenders.

The line is in goal for both teams. No grey area. No confusion.

#14 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

My head hurts.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#15 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,950 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

If you applied the OP's logic to touchlines then, if a ball was kicked over the touchline but before it lands a player jumps from the field of and thumps it back towards in field and it lands on the line it wouldn't be in touch.

Lines are not no-mans land.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

Lines are not no-mans land.

Tis if you have a flag.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

Of course it's a contradiction.

He wants the try line to be in goal for the attackers and in the field of play for defenders.

The line is in goal for both teams. No grey area. No confusion.

He didn't say he wanted the try line to be in goal for the attackers.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#18 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

(It is tempting to write a lengthy post but...)

As others have highlighted, the goal-line/try-line forms part of the in-goal area. This does not change simply because a team is defending.

#19 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Some of you seem to have lost your heads at a simple post.

I wasn't disputing the fact that that is clearly the rule, I was asking why it is different, but as some calm people have cleared the matter up, lock this before someone has a heart attack, jeez!

#20 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

It's not different!!!

Regardless of possession, the line is in goal.

The rule does not change...it stays the same...the line is in goal!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users