Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SO.... picking england players on form

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#21 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

Danny Brough has chosen Scotland.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#22 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

Doesn't mean he wouldn't play for England.

#23 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Doesn't mean he wouldn't play for England.

Didn't he make it clear that he wanted to be first choice selection for England and when the coach said no,he chose Scotland.

#24 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

Although great prospects there's no way Crooks or Lineham are ready for international RL. I cringe when some of these names get bandied about after a few good games. The same with Walmsley at Saints he's had a great season and is coming on a storm but he is not good enough to be facing the Aussies or Kiwis yet. These lads need to learn their trade first.

#25 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

Although great prospects there's no way Crooks or Lineham are ready for international RL. I cringe when some of these names get bandied about after a few good games. The same with Walmsley at Saints he's had a great season and is coming on a storm but he is not good enough to be facing the Aussies or Kiwis yet. These lads need to learn their trade first.

This.

#26 raceman

raceman
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

Didn't he make it clear that he wanted to be first choice selection for England and when the coach said no,he chose Scotland.

What's he supposed to do? If Mcnamara says he's not going to pick him for England is he supposed to just sit back and wait and see if he changes his mind?

I was a good runner back in the 80's but was never going to be good enough to go to the Olympics because I was up against Steve Ovett, Seb Coe, Steve Cram and Peter Elliot. But my Grandfather was Italian, and if somebody had said to me back then that I could go to the Olympics to run for Italy I would have bitten their hand off. All sports people want to compete at the top level of their chosen Sport. You can't blame Danny Brough for choosing to play for Scotland in the World Cup when he had been rejected by the England coach.

#27 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

What's he supposed to do? If Mcnamara says he's not going to pick him for England is he supposed to just sit back and wait and see if he changes his mind?

I was a good runner back in the 80's but was never going to be good enough to go to the Olympics because I was up against Steve Ovett, Seb Coe, Steve Cram and Peter Elliot. But my Grandfather was Italian, and if somebody had said to me back then that I could go to the Olympics to run for Italy I would have bitten their hand off. All sports people want to compete at the top level of their chosen Sport. You can't blame Danny Brough for choosing to play for Scotland in the World Cup when he had been rejected by the England coach.

The demanding to be first pick is the type of attitude that isn't needed. I don't think Mcnamara said he wouldn't select him, ,just that he had to earn his place like everyone else.If Brough wants to stomp off and have a tantrum,does he really want to play for England,or just play in the world cup?

Anyway,he's made his choice (again).

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 21 September 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#28 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

Hardaker deserves to be in the squad at least although he is no where near the class of Tomkins. JJB should be no where near the squad, he works hard but never seems to make any yards.

#29 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

Is this thread about who should be in the England squad or just the Leeds players who should be in the England squad?

Edited by deluded pom?, 21 September 2013 - 06:52 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#30 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

I think it's more a case of Brough wanting to be first choice if his form deserved him that status and Macnamara publicly set about humiliating him by such things as not naming him in a 40 train on squad. This was the same Brough that had humiliated Sinfield, McGuire et al and was tearing up SL. The same Brough who's won the Albert Goldthorpe medal, is a front runner for Man of Steel, has steered Huddersfield to the LLS, is 80 minutes from a Grand Fial and has just re written the history books by scoring more goals in a game and more points in a season than any other past Huddersfield player.
All this yet McNamara in his wisdom thought Brough wasn't worthy of a place in the top 40 Engand eligible players in SuperLeague.

The blokes delusional

#31 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

^

This.

#32 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

Carl Ablett is a fantastic player, bit niggly but always performs

He's rubbish.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#33 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

I was a good runner back in the 80's but was never going to be good enough to go to the Olympics because I was up against Steve Ovett, Seb Coe, Steve Cram and Peter Elliot. But my Grandfather was Italian, and if somebody had said to me back then that I could go to the Olympics to run for Italy I would have bitten their hand off. All sports people want to compete at the top level of their chosen Sport. You can't blame Danny Brough for choosing to play for Scotland in the World Cup when he had been rejected by the England coach.

Spot on fella. The incident sums up the coach's mentality and inability to manage a player. It is petty & embarrassing.

Wrong coach at the wrong time.....

#34 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

I think it's more a case of Brough wanting to be first choice if his form deserved him that status and Macnamara publicly set about humiliating him by such things as not naming him in a 40 train on squad. This was the same Brough that had humiliated Sinfield, McGuire et al and was tearing up SL. The same Brough who's won the Albert Goldthorpe medal, is a front runner for Man of Steel, has steered Huddersfield to the LLS, is 80 minutes from a Grand Fial and has just re written the history books by scoring more goals in a game and more points in a season than any other past Huddersfield player.
All this yet McNamara in his wisdom thought Brough wasn't worthy of a place in the top 40 Engand eligible players in SuperLeague.

The blokes delusional

His of depth out.

What was the question if this is the answer? Harrison, Powell, Kear, McDermott, Agar, Anderson or Cummings

#35 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,088 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

He's rubbish.

Not just me then.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#36 morleyrhino

morleyrhino
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

We need Peacock back for a swansong

Good 4 England :D. Bad 4 Leeds :(.  

#37 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:27 AM

why not?

Been in the Plough Again Spud?

#38 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

Is this the new forum accusation of disagreement. "I don't concur so you must be inebriated".

rldfsignature.jpg

#39 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

Is this the new forum accusation of disagreement. "I don't concur so you must be inebriated".

That's a gem of a post that made me chuckle.

"You Sir, being so indifferent to my theory and unable to comprehend that mine is the only standpoint available to all, must be suffering from the effects of cheap mead and the smile of a buxom serving wench. Go sleep it off and return to my gate in the morning when we can discuss the error of your ways..."

#40 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

That's a gem of a post that made me chuckle.
"You Sir, being so indifferent to my theory and unable to comprehend that mine is the only standpoint available to all, must be suffering from the effects of cheap mead and the smile of a buxom serving wench. Go sleep it off and return to my gate in the morning when we can discuss the error of your ways..."

I could always counter with "and you Sir are ugly but I will be sober in the morning". Thanks Winnie. ;)

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users