Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SO.... picking england players on form

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#41 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Brough is a non starter so people should stop wasting time and effort, more importantly is Ellis's lack of form and
if Mac goes for unfit players we could waste a golden opportunity. Fit and in form should be the criteria not past reputation.

#42 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

Brough is a non starter so people should stop wasting time and effort, more importantly is Ellis's lack of form and
if Mac goes for unfit players we could waste a golden opportunity. Fit and in form should be the criteria not past reputation.

What's your view on Peacock then?

#43 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Peacock still has a big engine and the physical presence to take on the Kangaroos,linked to Graham and the Burgess Brothers. At least this time he will not have to carry the burden on his own.

I consider him a great personality and a great servant of the game. He should be Sir Jamie.

#44 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

On form Peacock would be a must BUT after watching the way Wire pack stopped him from rampaging forward to expect him to have a top world cup against the best may be a bit too much too ask. There are plenty of front row options from form props both here and in aus (4 Burgess to pick from,Graham,Crabtree,Hill,Mossop) So as good as JP has been it would be another error from Mac to pick him.

#45 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'd pick Jamie peacock over the likes of Chris hill, lee mossop, Luke burgess and Tom burgess everyday of the week but he's part of the BBC's world cup team, isn't he?

#46 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Is this thread about who should be in the England squad or just the Leeds players who should be in the England squad?

its about players who are hitting form in the period leading up to squad selection

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#47 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

In form over what period, the season or last few games....  as we know players don't hit top performance every game.  Also whilst considering form and injury should we not also consider which players complement each other best too.. Even if the one not chosen has shown a little more form but doesn't complement as much... given the restricted period and hence limited time to ensure cohesion.

Edited by redjonn, 22 September 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#48 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

I think it's more a case of Brough wanting to be first choice if his form deserved him that status and Macnamara publicly set about humiliating him by such things as not naming him in a 40 train on squad. This was the same Brough that had humiliated Sinfield, McGuire et al and was tearing up SL. The same Brough who's won the Albert Goldthorpe medal, is a front runner for Man of Steel, has steered Huddersfield to the LLS, is 80 minutes from a Grand Fial and has just re written the history books by scoring more goals in a game and more points in a season than any other past Huddersfield player.
All this yet McNamara in his wisdom thought Brough wasn't worthy of a place in the top 40 Engand eligible players in SuperLeague.
The blokes delusional

well said!

#49 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

I think it's more a case of Brough wanting to be first choice if his form deserved him that status and Macnamara publicly set about humiliating him by such things as not naming him in a 40 train on squad. This was the same Brough that had humiliated Sinfield, McGuire et al and was tearing up SL. The same Brough who's won the Albert Goldthorpe medal, is a front runner for Man of Steel, has steered Huddersfield to the LLS, is 80 minutes from a Grand Fial and has just re written the history books by scoring more goals in a game and more points in a season than any other past Huddersfield player.
All this yet McNamara in his wisdom thought Brough wasn't worthy of a place in the top 40 Engand eligible players in SuperLeague.

The blokes delusional

You're delusional, when was the 40 man training squad announced?

#50 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

well said!

It's not well said, it's a load of tosh, all the things that Broughys best mate mentioned hadn't happened when the 40 man squad was announced and also happened after Brough had spat his dummy out.

Edited by christopher, 22 September 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#51 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

Though he has made Sinfield, McGuire and Burrow look like monkeys ever time he's been against them this season.

#52 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Though he has made Sinfield, McGuire and Burrow look like monkeys ever time he's been against them this season.

On his own?

I'm sure those three can take comfort looking at their multiple GF and WCC winners medals.

#53 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Yes

Single handedly.

#54 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Yes

Single handedly.

Course he did. How's he got on against Warrington?

#55 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Brilliantly.

#56 Jason86

Jason86
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

I’d like to see this line up start against the Aussies

1.Sam Tomkins

2.Josh Charnley

3.Darrell Goulding

4.Callum Watkins

5. Ryan Hall

6.Gareth Widdop

7.Matty Smith

8.James Graham

9.Mick McIllorum

10.Sam Burgess

11. Ben Westwood

12.Liam Farrell

13.Sean O’loughlin

14.Shaun Lunt

15.George Burgess

16.Eorl Crabtree

17.Lee Mossop

The rest of the squad

Zack Hardacker

Rob Burrows OR Kevin Sinfield

Tom Briscoe

Stefan Ratchford or Ragi Chase

Gareth Hock

Chris Hill

Brett Ferris

Danny Kirkmond

Leroy Cudjoe

That is 26 players, forgive me I’m unsure how many are allowed in squad (more than likely not 26).

I’d be happy with Houghton and/or Roby in the squad I just feel the other 2 hookers have been great this season and Micky Higham should be mentioned to. Peacock has been fantastic but has retired from international football. Not a fan of JJB or Abblett but both have plenty of medals and experience, just not for me. I went for Goulding because he never lets Wigan down and has a good defensive game and links with Charnley so well. Matty Smith will raise eyebrows in my squad but I like him. No Sinfield in starting line-up for me and Gareth Ellis hasn’t been great this season so I think Kirkmond and Ferris deserve a chance. Gareth Hock will be disagreed with but on form he can be unplayable and probably Lee Mossop is a little lucky, good player but so are some I've missed out

#57 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

Well as long as Sinfield and those other Leeds players who are no good keep picking up rings that'll do for me and allow those super players to be beyond criticism for England
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#58 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

Well as long as Sinfield and those other Leeds players who are no good keep picking up rings that'll do for me and allow those super players to be beyond criticism for England
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#59 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

And he hasn't hasn't won much and he seems to have been passed around from different clubs.Which suggests he is lacking something.He hasn't. Made these guys look monkeys as you insultingley called them for 10 years or even 2
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#60 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

On his own?
I'm sure those three can take comfort looking at their multiple GF and WCC winners medals.

Hey up, Sinfields No1 nuthuggers arrived.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users