RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SO.... picking england players on form

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#61 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

And he's got a pal now

#62 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

I think the most important thing is picking the squad first before the team to give England options. Based on a 24, I'd go for quality/ versatility given the limitations on numbers as follows: FB / Utility backs: S Tomkins, J Lomax, Z Hardaker, S Ratchford. Wingers: R Hall, J Charnley. Centres: K Watkins, L Cudjoe, C Ablett. Stand Off: G Widdop, K Sinfield. Scrum Half: R Myler, R Chase, M Smith Hookers: J Roby, S Lunt Props: E Crabtree, J Graham, G Burgess, C Hill Second row: S Burgess, B Ferres, B Westwood Loose forward: S O'Loughlin I don't see the point of picking extra wingers such as Briscoe for the sake of it, when the likes of Lomax, Ratchford or Hardaker could equally cover that position + others. Ablett provides versatility to play second row as required. S Burgess could cover loose forward or prop. Sinfield could cover hooker or loose forward if required. Options is what we need in a tournament and a squad like that gives us plenty.

Edited by giwildgo, 22 September 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#63 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:19 PM

And he's got a pal now

Not at all you are wrongly denigrating player's simply because they play for Leeds
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#64 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

You think what you want, since you've never paid any attention to my opinions on Leeds players

#65 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

So why is it Leeds player's and no other's that get called monkey's?when their achievements are there to be seen.Brough fair enough is in the latter stages of his career showing what might have been with a little dedication.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#66 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hey up, Sinfields No1 nuthuggers arrived.

Thanks for your insightful post on the subject, shouldn't you be down the pub with Broughy?

#67 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

The best thing about a Warrington v Wigan GF would be a week less of this persistent sniping, handbags and point scoring from certain Leeds and Hudds fans.

#68 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

The best thing about a Warrington v Wigan GF would be a week less of this persistent sniping, handbags and point scoring from certain Leeds and Hudds fans.

Nah that'll just carry on through the WC, there will be multiple Brough would have been better posts all throughout the comp.

#69 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Nah that'll just carry on through the WC, there will be multiple Brough would have been better posts all throughout the comp.

It's time we move on from the Brough stuff. Regrettable that he isn't available, but he isn't.

As an aside you'll notice my recommended squad included both Sinfield and Ablett, despite my previous criticisms of their inclusion in the team. I've been proven wrong by Ablett's form and his versatility helps, whereas I still think Sinfield shouldn't be a starter but provides value as cover.

#70 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

I think the most important thing is picking the squad first before the team to give England options. Based on a 24, I'd go for quality/ versatility given the limitations on numbers as follows: FB / Utility backs: S Tomkins, J Lomax, Z Hardaker, S Ratchford. Wingers: R Hall, J Charnley. Centres: K Watkins, L Cudjoe, C Ablett. Stand Off: G Widdop, K Sinfield. Scrum Half: R Myler, R Chase, M Smith Hookers: J Roby, S Lunt Props: E Crabtree, J Graham, G Burgess, C Hill Second row: S Burgess, B Ferres, B Westwood Loose forward: S O'Loughlin I don't see the point of picking extra wingers such as Briscoe for the sake of it, when the likes of Lomax, Ratchford or Hardaker could equally cover that position + others. Ablett provides versatility to play second row as required. S Burgess could cover loose forward or prop. Sinfield could cover hooker or loose forward if required. Options is what we need in a tournament and a squad like that gives us plenty.

I doubt Lomax would feature even if called upon as he has a hamstring problem that is causing him difficulties at club level.  I'm not sure he would last a match against the Aussies or Kiwis.

#71 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

Well as long as Sinfield and those other Leeds players who are no good keep picking up rings that'll do for me and allow those super players to be beyond criticism for England

Picking up rings shouldn't have anything to do with being chosen for the national side.  Billy Slater has had years when he hasn't picked up a ring and then others when he has but he gets chosen regardless.  That's because Billy Slater is a talent whether he is playing for a winning team or not.  The key is to spot the talent IMO and employ it well as part of a team.

#72 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

Brough does needs his forwards, but he is the one who wins the game for Huddersfield.

Brough goes missing against Warrington because Huddersfields forwards get absolutely dominated. He has literally had nothing to work off.

Disagree with Biffasboys last line though. Brough had enough to work off against Wigan, he was just poor.

#73 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:38 AM

Picking up rings shouldn't have anything to do with being chosen for the national side.  Billy Slater has had years when he hasn't picked up a ring and then others when he has but he gets chosen regardless.  That's because Billy Slater is a talent whether he is playing for a winning team or not.  The key is to spot the talent IMO and employ it well as part of a team.

I agree just because they pick up rings shouldn't be the criteria for being picked for England.

The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#74 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

I think you're talking up Brough a little too much, and by doing so downplaying the role his team mates have played in presenting him with the time & space to do what he has.

He's set records for Huddersfield, for which he should be congratulated, but not for the game or competition.

He hasn't humiliated any player.

There is more to his decision to opt for Scotland than meets the eye.  To blame McNamara is, frankly, wrong.

Personally I don't think Brough has the maturity, temperament, composure or team ethic required to be part of the England set up.

Bravo.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#75 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

I doubt Lomax would feature even if called upon as he has a hamstring problem that is causing him difficulties at club level.  I'm not sure he would last a match against the Aussies or Kiwis.

In that case, what about Macguire? He can play either halfback position and is a proven try scorer. I get that he has been injured but his constant ommission from these lists seems to be a mistake. i would have him a a very definite halfback option.

#76 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

McGuire isn't quick enough anymore.

#77 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

McGuire isn't quick enough anymore.

As opposed to that other halfback, Sinfield, you must be kidding.

#78 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

As opposed to that other halfback, Sinfield, you must be kidding.

Pace is the one of the few reasons I say Sinfield shouldn't be in the side. If you don't have pace you can't be an international half back.

#79 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Pace is the one of the few reasons I say Sinfield shouldn't be in the side. If you don't have pace you can't be an international half back.

Says who?

#80 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

I agree with that although I think Sinfiled should operate at loose forward and hooker for England, not halfback, and is deadly goal kicking is another arrow in his quiver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users