League Express Digital-Only Easter Edition Out Now!

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SO.... picking england players on form

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#141 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

Just like the world cup in 2008 when he played all the matches and they only won 1.

I know but you can't blame Peacock, I mean you wouldn't be daft enough to blame the whole England's team failure on one player would you?

#142 7723

• Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

Peacock? I thought we were talking about Sinfield.

#143 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

Peacock? I thought we were talking about Sinfield.

Oh sorry I thought we were talking about England captains and their success rates? Oh but of course you're right the failure of the England team in the WC and the fact that the whole team played like a sack of spuds is solely down to Sinfields inclusion in the team ;-)

Edited by christopher, 25 September 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#144 7723

• Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

Oh sorry I thought we were talking about England captains and their success rates? Oh but of course you're right the failure of the England team in the WC and the fact that the whole team played like a sack of spuds is solely down to Sinfields inclusion in the team ;-)

Exactly, I think you are starting to get it!! :tongue:

For the record, I don't mind Sinfield, I think he is a very good clubman, but not international class. My opinion only though.

Edited by 7723, 25 September 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#145 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

No one has Chris Heighington in their team :ph34r:  B)

Edited by Scubby, 25 September 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#146 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,027 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

Very interesting insight into how England backroom team monitor their players and the opposition to know who is in form can be found here.
http://iota.ecommzon...4ca9/story1.htm

Nice to see they are using such in depth analysis, but I suppose we'll never know how much McNamara makes of it in selecting his teams. I can't imagine that the 13 players selected are always the stat toppers in that position.

#147 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:27 PM

I know but you can't blame Peacock, I mean you wouldn't be daft enough to blame the whole England's team failure on one player would you?

No we'd be clever enough to make an assessment of each player based on the evidence in front of our eyes.

#148 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

No we'd be clever enough to make an assessment of each player based on the evidence in front of our eyes.

Clever and assessment aren't two words I'd apportion to you Omega ;-)

#149 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 544 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

How many times Versus S/Hemi sides, especially OZ?

I do agree that KS is a very excellent player in Super League and vying for the title of probably, 'as good a clubman that has ever been in the RFL'. Yet and this can also be relayed to many other former players, who also gave many seasons of outstanding service to their clubs, sometimes more than one club also, Mickey Higham would easily come to mind and gain praise for the latter.

But the gripe that many have is the insistance that KS is as good at rep standard when the evidence is plain to see and absolutely contradicts that assertion. Sinfield has played in numerous games at this level and yet I can only recall three games myself that I thought he fully justified his selection, after the final whistle.

That he has repeatedly gained selection despite so many mediocre performances is probably the reason that ever so many R/L fans do argue that he is not anywhere near to being the player he is domestically, when up against the best that the S/Hemi can put against him.

PS; those games V the Kiwi's are not really very good ones to use when crediting MOM to someone when considering the shenannigans going on in the Kiwi squads then, I would lay odds and confidently, that this WC squad will pose a very different proposition from those sides back then.

Petero has only gone. & completely nailed it with that there post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users