playoff crowds

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 Roughyhead true

Roughyhead true
  • Facebook
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:03 PM

Poor, very poor. Less than 12500 tonight for Leeds v saints. Does not bode well for WC.

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

nothing to do with the world cup.....world cup tickets are selling very,very well...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:34 PM

12,000 at Leeds is par for the course really... similar to last few years.

#4 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:13 AM

Sorry but 12500 is garbage for Leeds in a playoff. Definite need for reform

#5 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:23 AM

Nothing to do with away support either. The Saints end was absolutely packed. Bad job when the current Champions and arguably SL's biggest club can't attract more home fans to a crucial match. Surely Leeds supporters aren't getting bored by success?

Edited by TheTerminator, 21 September 2013 - 12:25 AM.

Posted Image

#6 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:15 AM

This is disastrous. Too many games a season in my opinion has fans bored. Still, I would have expected in the region of 20 for such a big game at Leeds

#7 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

Something mentally wrong with the mindset. In no other sport would people attend all year, surely in the hope of winning something, then not turn up when they have a chance of the prize. Baffling. Never understand it and don't buy the cost argument either

#8 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

Something mentally wrong with the mindset. In no other sport would people attend all year, surely in the hope of winning something, then not turn up when they have a chance of the prize. Baffling. Never understand it and don't buy the cost argument either

I agree. It's not as if it's just a small number who take this stance or genuinely can't afford the extra games either. The percentage drop compared to regular season games is quite substantial and not just at Headingley either.

rldfsignature.jpg

#9 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,506 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:54 AM

Nobody's bored, and there's nothing wrong with people's minds.

A number of enthusiastic season ticket regulars didn't take up their seats around us in the Carnegie, there's no disaster and customers of the game aren't garbage IMHO.

RL fans in general have a tendency to pay to watch RL at the ground via season tickets then watch on Pay to view TV when cup and play off games come up.

TV pays the clubs handsomely to televise the games (£90,000,000) so despite seats being empty the SL clubs are still getting their money and the fans are still paying and watching the games, just in two different ways.

This is the deal with a made for TV sport.

#10 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Knowing Leeds it was well promoted. A lot of Rugby League fans are fickle, and it doesn't take some long to find an excuse not to attend a game.Washing the car, taking the Dog/Cat to the vets,painting the mother in laws front room. Its funny to me that they can only do these things on match days.

#11 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

Nobody's bored, and there's nothing wrong with people's minds.

A number of enthusiastic season ticket regulars didn't take up their seats around us in the Carnegie, there's no disaster and customers of the game aren't garbage IMHO.

RL fans in general have a tendency to pay to watch RL at the ground via season tickets then watch on Pay to view TV when cup and play off games come up.

TV pays the clubs handsomely to televise the games (£90,000,000) so despite seats being empty the SL clubs are still getting their money and the fans are still paying and watching the games, just in two different ways.

This is the deal with a made for TV sport.

I still can't see that logic Parky. If you're right then why wouldn't those same people just sit at home and watch all of Leeds' games on telly with none of the inconvenience and extra expense incurred with actually attending the match? Unless of course they actually enjoy attending games so the question again is why do fans stay at home when the big games come around? The big games are usually the more enjoyable ones to attend.

rldfsignature.jpg

#12 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

I still can't see that logic Parky. If you're right then why wouldn't those same people just sit at home and watch all of Leeds' games on telly with none of the inconvenience and extra expense incurred with actually attending the match? Unless of course they actually enjoy attending games so the question again is why do fans stay at home when the big games come around? The big games are usually the more enjoyable ones to attend.

The same reason they don't attend the early stages of the CC. It's not included in the season ticket I don't understand the mindset but that's obviously why. As money from the play offs is split between the clubs I'd like to see £5 or £10 put on the price of all season tickets that then goes into a pot to cover the playoffs. Then if your team makes them your season ticket covers it.

#13 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

Like it or not money is extremely tight in a lot of families, seasOn tickets are saved up for, bought on early bird discounts and given as christmas presents. Day to day cash is not there to find 2 or more extra matches plus world cup plus grand final.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#14 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

What is the problem the crowd looked good on tv and isn't it the biggest gate of the play offs so far?

#15 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,506 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

What we are missing is a survey of all the people who we sit next to week in week out but when the cup quarter final game, or the play off games come around don't turn up.

I only assume that they will say they didn't attend because of the extra cost, or the extra cost and it was on telly anyway.I also assume that these people who we sit near to and talk to season on season do not have anything wrong with their minds, and I can assure you they aren't bored as they are very enthusiastic through the regular season.

Yes I think as you say there are a lot of fans who follow their clubs just on telly, because they can't even afford the season tickets so it takes all sorts and it seems wrong to me to expect all people to think and act like you and me.

The fact is that Leeds seem to get 17,000 in for the little games paying discount prices via season tickets, and 12,000 for the big all pay games in the later rounds of the cup and play off. To me it's cost, and consistent with cost driving sales.

DAZ - no problem... massive game, massive atmosphere, best of the season......

Edited by The Parksider, 21 September 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#16 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

Whilst I don't understand the logic in not attending games like this either, there are worse examples than this game to pick on.

I did quite a bit of searching on twitter last night (yes, I do have nothing better to do) and there was a very big reaction to the game amongst non RL fans or even people who had absolutely no idea about the sport. ..from Cornwall, Peterborough. ..Edinburgh. ...all saying how much they enjoyed it. As did Michael Carrick....Who I thought was actually a cricketer lol, but none of them mentioned the crowd so how bad could it be?

I'm guilty of criticising attendances myself but last nights was not one to flap about.

#17 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

In 2007 Leeds played Saints in the play-offs at Headingley, attendance 12,064., so last nights was around 150 up on that.

Edited by Padge, 21 September 2013 - 08:28 AM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#18 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,844 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

, I would have expected in the region of 20 for such a big game at Leeds

Sorry, are you thinking of Huddersfield?  :ph34r:

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#19 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 763 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

Maybe this top eight playoff after Hudds clearly won the league doesnt float everyones boat perhaps?

#20 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

Headingley looked pretty full. It was very full last year when Wakey played there in front of less than 10k.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users