Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

playoff crowds

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#41 koli

koli
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

That's what I meant.for the majority of our history we had 1 division with the Champion decided by a playoff system .
Top 4 for most that time.

#42 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

That's what I meant.for the majority of our history we had 1 division with the Champion decided by a playoff system .
Top 4 for most that time.

Apologies, misread.

#43 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 962 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

Compared to various times... , if we did a graph we are not at a high point in respect of total numbers but nor at a low point, indeed for SOME clubs the SL era has been a fantastic success but not for the MAJORITY of clubs in terms of numbers watching live or on tv.....it is another debate as to which is best for the game ..to have say a minimum average crowd in ALL professional clubs of 1000, but a high of 12,000 and more competitions and  games and more spectators overall or many low averages numbered in the low hundreds but a few high averages for the top clubs with just two competitions and less games and less overall paying spectators..

If you are correct and the clubs now have a far superior take per head then can you tell me what is better??? 3.3 million spectators paying that take per head or 1.7 million spectators????

It is widely acknowledge the SL clubs get just shy of £1mill per season from the £90 mill contract, at an average of £20.00 per head (admittance only) this works out at 50,000 spectators they are been paid for...or 700,000 over the fourteen clubs...

How much is lost to the game overall?

Perhaps nothing in the "summer" era..

Would indeed the modern summer era passholder turn up for extra cup games or tour matches anymore..??? Probably not...

Whilst the average crowds of Leeds, Wigan, Warrington and Saints are to be applauded and ARE good for the game it does gloss over and take attention away from what lies beneath and wether it is admitted or not the game would not last much beyond a generation without the bottom 70% of the pyramid..

You could be right but when looking at the attendances we should compare with RU. I would say we compare favourably with the club game in RU.   In England the top 3 or 4 teams achieve high attendance of 16-18,000 but below that the average is around the 9-9500.  Not too different.  Compared to RU in Wales we are doing really well, their the average for top clubs is around and often below 5000 mark. They have the central funds from the international game to help their sustainability.  

Of course in England club RU attendances are rising and hence the more positive outlook.   They have the huge international game that provides the funds and exposure that brings in sponsors to the club game.  The central funds that the international game provides is the major factor that enables the RFU to support strategic decisions.

So we should not look too negatively at the SL attendances. Although play-off's is and should be a real concern.   For me it should be just the top 4 immediately playing a semi-final with the higher clubs getting home advantage. Plus enough time to promote and sell tickets between end of normal season and the play off.

The reason the game will always be struggling is the lack of a real international and representative game.  Until we have one RL will be forever fighting from one crisis to another.

Edited by redjonn, 21 September 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#44 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

TOTAL fans attending across the game is down.

Can you give us the actual figures to back that up?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#45 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Looks like I have to dig this one out again. Oh well. 

AggregateAttendances.jpg

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#46 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,607 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

AggregateAttendances.jpg

That could be a graph for anything. There's no reference to rugby league at all.

rldfsignature.jpg

#47 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

That could be a graph for anything. There's no reference to rugby league at all.

Its a graph of aggregate attendances for division 1, 2, 3 and the the total aggregates for the whole pro competition from 76/77.

WTF do you think it could otherwise have been.

#48 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,607 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

Its a graph of aggregate attendances for division 1, 2, 3 and the the total aggregates for the whole pro competition from 76/77.

WTF do you think it could otherwise have been.

If people post "evidence" to support their argument I at least expect to see rugby league referenced on it somewhere or at least a link of some sort. I'm sure you understand my reasoning.

rldfsignature.jpg

#49 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

If people post "evidence" to support their argument I at least expect to see rugby league referenced on it somewhere or at least a link of some sort. I'm sure you understand my reasoning.

I cannot post a link to my own PC.

The graph is factually correct and verifiable by checking any year against your copy of Rothman's or Gillette year books. If you can find a year that isn't correct then please let me know and I will amend my data and produce a new graph just for you.

If you don't believe the data, go away, research and prove me wrong.

• nec likes this

#50 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,607 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

I cannot post a link to my own PC.

The graph is factually correct and verifiable by checking any year against your copy of Rothman's or Gillette year books. If you can find a year that isn't correct then please let me know and I will amend my data and produce a new graph just for you.

If you don't believe the data, go away, research and prove me wrong.

So because you post a graph with nothing to say what it is I have to prove otherwise!!!!!

rldfsignature.jpg

#51 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

So because you post a graph with nothing to say what it is I have to prove otherwise!!!!!

A statement was made that crowds were down, the evidence shows otherwise. The poster who claimed the crowds were down posted nothing to back it up.

I posted a chart of all the aggregates since 76/77, anyone can go and check those aggregates.

You are dismissing my figures but producing nothing to show them to be wrong, conclusion, you cannot prove them wrong.

If you can I will concede, I'll bet you can't.

Edited by Padge, 21 September 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#52 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,607 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

You have still posted a graph of crowd figures. They could be the crowd figures that pass through a particular London Underground station for all I know. You just can't post unidentified statistics and then challenge others to disprove them.

rldfsignature.jpg

#53 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

AggregateAttendances.jpg

That kind of proves my point, we've shrunk the well and we go to it more often

#54 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

You have still posted a graph of crowd figures. They could be the crowd figures that pass through a particular London Underground station for all I know. You just can't post unidentified statistics and then challenge others to disprove them.

London underground has 3 divisions does it.

You know very well what the graph is, but it doesn't suit your argument.

Have you got the figures to show those aggregates are wrong or not. If you haven't then I suggest you drop it until you have, because you are just becoming to look a little bit silly now.

#55 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

That kind of proves my point, we've shrunk the well and we go to it more often

How do you figure that, the overall number of people attending is up, the number of clubs has hardly changed. If you check the chart, the one thing that always has a big bearing on the aggregate figure is whether we have 2 or 3 divisions. The trend however of numbers through the gates is increasing.

#56 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

I know a few Headingley season ticket holders who also watch Leeds United, but don't have season tickets for Elland Road because they're so expensive. As it was all-pay for the Rhinos don't you think that some dual-code fans will have chosen to watch Leeds V Burnley today and couldn't afford to go to both?

#57 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,607 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

London underground has 3 divisions does it.

You know very well what the graph is, but it doesn't suit your argument.

Have you got the figures to show those aggregates are wrong or not. If you haven't then I suggest you drop it until you have, because you are just becoming to look a little bit silly now.

Your graph just says 1,2,3. Nowhere does it say they are divisions. It could mean the people passing through a particular London underground station at 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock and 3 o'clock for all I know.Vague doesn't begin to describe your "evidence".

rldfsignature.jpg

#58 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Your graph just says 1,2,3. Nowhere does it say they are divisions. It could mean the people passing through a particular London underground station at 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock and 3 o'clock for all I know.Vague doesn't begin to describe your "evidence".

It seems OMEGA gets it, you are just being deliberately obtuse, you know exactly what the figures are. They have been posted on here many times.

When you have figures to contradict them get back to me, or when you've sobered up will do.

#59 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,607 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

It seems OMEGA gets it, you are just being deliberately obtuse, you know exactly what the figures are. They have been posted on here many times.

When you have figures to contradict them get back to me, or when you've sobered up will do.

Now, now let's not get personal just because I've seen a flaw in your "argument".

rldfsignature.jpg

#60 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

Now, now let's not get personal just because I've seen a flaw in your "argument".

There is no flaw in the argument, you know what the chart is, you know what it shows. You are either being deliberately obtuse or you are drunk and not thinking straight.

You got any figures yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users