Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

playoff crowds

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#81 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,227 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

I was looking at a tube map earlier.

I keep expecting Phill Clarke to produce something like that, showing all the lines run by different players.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#82 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

I haven't watched enough YouTube videos yet. 

Before we had distractions like You Tube, nobody ever missed a game. I'm sure there is a direct correlation between the emergence of the internet and the demise of the Regal Trophy.

#83 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

Why are the Leeds attendances getting it in the neck?like Padge said it was about right
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#84 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,227 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

Why are the Leeds attendances getting it in the neck?like Padge said it was about right

Its the usual doom-mongers not looking at the reality.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#85 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

It is, I'm enjoying myself.

But missing the gist....do one for ALL games and see how its looks with regards total numbers..

A press snippet from 68...3.3 million plus, all but 2 of the 30 professional clubs well into 4 figures ..

Attached File  att 67.jpg   78.62KB   1 downloads

Edited by Marty Funkhouser, 21 September 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#86 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,227 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

But missing the gist....do one for ALL games and see how its looks with regards total numbers..

A press snippet from 68...3.3 million plus, all but 2 of the 30 professional clubs well into 4 figures ..

If you go back to the mid-fifties you'll find the figure is even higher.

how far do you want to go back, crowds are a lot higher now than in 1895.

#87 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

If you go back to the mid-fifties you'll find the figure is even higher.

how far do you want to go back, crowds are a lot higher now than in 1895.

So we are in agreement then , TOTAL attendees at live RL matches are not at a high point...

And could you do the graph for all matches for balance...

Edited by Marty Funkhouser, 21 September 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#88 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,227 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

So we are in agreement then , TOTAL attendees at live RL matches are not at a high point...

And could you do the graph for all matches for balance...

I'll tell you what, you do the graph as you are making a claim without backing it up with evidence.

When you post the figures I'll check them.

Could you also define the time period you want to compare, 1895 until now, or some arbitrary year in between that suits your argument.  OMEGA chose to compare figures for the last twenty years. I posted figures for 35 years, would you care to post all the full figures from 1895 until now.

#89 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

So what we're seeing is that the last 3 years have seen the highest aggregate crowds in the past 35 years?

What we might have is the average number of people passing through Barkingside underground station between the hours of 1 and 3 PM on any given day.

rldfsignature.jpg

#90 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,227 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

What we might have is the average number of people passing through Barkingside underground station between the hours of 1 and 3 PM on any given day.

The first part of your name is correct.  ;)

#91 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

The first part of your name is correct.  ;)

Jim?

rldfsignature.jpg

#92 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'll tell you what, you do the graph as you are making a claim without backing it up with evidence.

See the press cutting above for starters, over 3.3 million total spectators in an unexceptional, very average year...

If you can show me 3.3 million spectators attending all matches during a SL era season i would be most interested...

#93 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,227 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

See the press cutting above for starters, over 3.3 million total spectators in an unexceptional, very average year...

If you can show me 3.3 million spectators attending all matches during a SL era season i would be most interested...

Why have you chosen that year, you have just found a random figure from some time in the past and you only want to compare it to SL.

That smacks of an agenda, figures after that time until the early eighties plummeted massively, that decline had nothing to do with SL.

What has SL got to do with a decline when it didn't exist. 

Attendance figures are increasing. from a low in the seventies. 

Would you care to post the figures for lets say 1968 until 1978?

Whilst your at it can you give me breakdown of that figure, does it include any cup finals or internationals?

#94 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,227 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

Jim?

Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

:biggrin:

#95 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

Are you sure? I thought that the traditional way for 1 division was by play-off and grand final - until the mid-1970s when 2 divisions came in.

There was also an "experiment"with 2 divisions first past the post championship for a couple of seasons from 1963
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#96 koli

koli
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:26 AM

Interesting looking at those 1968 numbers was the much higher number of games.most teams getting around 20 home matches n some as high as 25 -more competitions county cups,floodlight,john player,challenge cup and a 30 game regular league season.
Perhaps we can all agree
1.Overall attendances are at their highest in at least 40 years
2. The average attendances at the top clubs are at their highest since the early 60s.
3.The spread of average attendances has widened significantly with more going to the top clubs and fewer to the lower clubs.
4. Challenge cup attendances are much lower since the advent of Super League.
5.Championship play off attendances,while below regular round averages,are higher than in the premiership era and (without Rothmans to hand) the top 8 and top 16 eras.
6. The Championship final has been restored to the type of attendances seen in the post war boom and far above anything from the top 16/8/premiership times.
Definitely more reasons to be positive than negative I think.

#97 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.[/size]

You mean they don't call you smug mug?

rldfsignature.jpg

#98 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

That could be a graph for anything. There's no reference to rugby league at all.

It could be a graph showing the size of Padge's ego over the years. Mods may class this as abusive but may I first point out that Padge accused someone of being drunk.

Crowds are supposed to be booming yet quite a few clubs are or have been in serious financial trouble, things just don't add up.

Edited by Ian (Pencil) Elliott, 22 September 2013 - 06:32 AM.

"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#99 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,241 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

Crowds are supposed to be booming yet quite a few clubs are or have been in serious financial trouble, things just don't add up.

We've always had clubs in severe financial trouble though - regardless of aggregate attendance.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#100 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

We've always had clubs in severe financial trouble though - regardless of aggregate attendance.

Correct, although the so called elite clubs have never had as much money thrown at them and crowds supposedly have never been as good. Something is not quite right.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users