Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

playoff crowds

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#141 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,180 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

What is interesting is the buzz that seems to be created about the 2 play-off games this week (Wire v Hudds and Wigan v Leeds). This gives a sense that the play-offs themselves have appeal but it really needs to have that edge of importance. I predict 16-18k at Wigan and 12k at Wire which will be good going.

i hope you're right Scubby, but I'm not sure why that Wigan v Leeds crowd would grow by 100% in a year.

#142 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

Hull's regular season home attendances do in 2013 were only 1.7% down on last year. Only Leeds and Widnes generated an increase.

Interesting, but this thread is about playoff crowds! Finding the extra cash for games at a time when season pass renewal is imminent (see Hull thread for a thorough explanation of why this is a problem) has been a problem for many.

Season pass sales were down by about 20% to just under 8000, so gates being only 1.7% down on last season is good in that context.

Edited by Mistress_Marlowe, 23 September 2013 - 07:54 AM.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#143 Pete M

Pete M
  • Coach
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Interesting, but this thread is about playoff crowds!

Correct, the thread is about playoff crowds! However, you specifically responded to my quote about the overall 10.4% reduction in regular season SL attendances with reasons why you thought Hull's had suffered such a significant dip - hence why I responded with the fact they were only 1.4% down.

Finding the extra cash for games at a time when season pass renewal is imminent (see Hull thread for a thorough explanation of why this is a problem) has been a problem for many. 
Indeed, the financial desperation of SL clubs to cash in on next years season ticket sales as early as possible - to the detriment of play-off attendances this season - is an issue which needs to be looked at. It's not a good image for the game when the more important business-end-of-the-season fixtures are defined by half-empty and quarter-empty stadia. What kind of image does that portray about the sport? 

Season pass sales were down by about 20% to just under 8000, so gates being only 1.7% down on last season is good in that context.
Perhaps the financial gains of a higher percentage of spectators paying at the turnstiles was cancelled out by the sundry cheap ticket deals that Hull (and other SL clubs) had on sale?  

Edited by Pete M, 23 September 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#144 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

Those figures are shocking, taking to 2009 to get cumulative attendances back to pre Sky numbers despite the hype and cash to the elite. It shows how SL's gain has been at the expense of the rest.

#145 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,935 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

Oh for gods sake
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#146 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

The impact of the World Cup on play-off crowds can't be underestimated. There will be 100s of fans who are planning to spend £100-£200 on additional tickets over the next two months. For many, there has to be  a compromise somewhere and fans are picking games for sure.

#147 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

The whole league and playoff formatt I believe is a main reason why crowds are down hopefully with the change happening hopefully we'll see a rise again because its vital we improve, also I see Wigan haven't done there usual big one game this year any reasons?, I'd love to see everyteam do this and show some ambition even the possibility of taking games on the road double headers thoughts?

#148 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, but I don't see why clubs don't give you the option when you buy your season tickets to buy play off tickets as part of the deal, with the money only be paid if your team has a game and you don't subsequently opt it? I subscribe to Wigan TV and the quarterly payments work on a renew unless you say no approach. Be a combination of cheese and peas to do that.

#149 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

Oh for gods sake

Its not his fault

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#150 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

The games I saw or watched on sky it was mainly home fans who failed to turn out in normal numbers, both leeds and Giants had good numbers and an increase on league games. The pattern seamed to be happening at other games (not Dragons of course)

It was not just prices because all juniors were only  £5. wires failure to promote games this year has contributed to the decrease in league games when economic factors are hitting home so results alone will not drag fans in.