TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Gentle tipped to leave Hull

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

Was Gentle ever the Kangaroos assistant coach?

No and he was never Tim Sheens' assistant at Wests Tigers, he was their stats man.

Sheens' assistants were Royce Simmons and then Steve Georgallis. 

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#22 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Will I ever see a proven coach in charge of my club?

If Radford replaces him it will be a huge mistake. Success with East Hull is one thing, working as an assistant another, but he should go and cut his teeth elsewhere in the Championship before taking on a club like FC.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#23 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,862 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

EDIT - no longer relevant due to merged threads. Ta.

Edited by Just Browny, 21 September 2013 - 10:48 AM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#24 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 682 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

If Hull want to replicate Huddersfield relative success they need to stop shopping in Castleford and venture just a few miles West along the M62.

#25 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Spot on Pottsy. The progression at Hudds came gradually from work done by Tony Smith, Jon Sharp, Nathan Brown and their assistants and no doubt other club staff. At times it seemed to be three steps forward and one step back. Getting to CC semi-finals and finals and getting into the playoffs regularly were some of the signs of the club moving forward. There were still games along the way where Hudds got battered of course. I suppose that progress doesn't have to happen in a straight line upward trajectory...

Hull have some decent young players; that is one of the building blocks in place. Have Peter Gentle, his assistants and A Pearson got the other building blocks in place? Hull fans should know.

Ha Ha

Wait for it

It's coming lol

#26 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

The difference is, despite Brown's tinkering and dithering preventing them from pushing on, many of the building blocks of success had been implemented prior to Anderson's elevation.
Can the same be said of Hull?

Won't be long now!

#27 Jarv

Jarv
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

Our new blue print sounds like a carbon copy of the KR statement when Sandercock arrived to me. So instead of fighting for and spending over the odds for has been Australians we will do it in the city limits instead.

On a more sober note just shows how hard sport is when the coach sounds like he got sacked on the same day the players who lost by a record score where celebrating the season on the lash.

#28 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hull is supposedly a League city but FC are full of players from other clubs and overseas. The only way to be right at the top consistently in the SL salary cap era is to build most of your side around great local talent ID and development. It amazes me that Hull after so much time in SL are still mediocre in this respect and should look closely at Wigan and Leeds in particular if they want to see how to become successful.

Hull's recruitment has also been pretty haphazard too, and from the opening round they looked like they were still a few players off the very top clubs. McRae and Gentle going sounds about right though as a shift in emphasis and patience is required. There is no reason why given time Hull can't be the top club in the game - as much as this Lancastrian would prefer otherwise!

Edited by Mushy, 21 September 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#29 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hull is supposedly a League city but FC are full of players from other clubs and overseas. The only way to be right at the top consistently in the SL salary cap era is to build most of your side around great local talent ID and development. It amazes me that Hull after so much time in SL are still mediocre in this respect and should look closely at Wigan and Leeds in particular if they want to see how to become successful.

Hull's recruitment has also been pretty haphazard too, and from the opening round they looked like they were still a few players off the very top clubs. McRae and Gentle going sounds about right though as a shift in emphasis and patience is required. There is no reason why given time Hull can't be the top club in the game - as much as this Lancastrian would prefer otherwise!

This is due to the woeful youth structures that were in place before Pearson took over (we'd not brought anyone through since Tom Briscoe in 2008). In two years, we've brought through Crooks, Lineham, Shaul, Green, Kent, Bowden and others are also getting some time.

In the mean time, we've had to pad out with young English "squad players" to give us depth and offer a bit of potential.

But we NEED size and strength, and this is where Gentle got it massively wrong. He went for a mobile pack, but then didn't give them the attacking structures to use it! Manu replaced with Ellis (not the same kind of player), Moa with Paea (a year later), O'Meley with Paleasina. Lynch with (rumoured) Con Mika. Tickle with ?. The starting recruitment has been horrendous. With Briscoe going, and possibly Yeaman, we're going to be weak on the left side as well.
Posted Image

#30 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,986 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

No and he was never Tim Sheens' assistant at Wests Tigers, he was their stats man.
Sheens' assistants were Royce Simmons and then Steve Georgallis.

Cheers EK. I didn't think he had.

rldfsignature.jpg

#31 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,986 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

Success with East Hull is one thing

Have East Hull had any success under Radford? I'm sure ehbandit can tell us.

rldfsignature.jpg

#32 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

Have East Hull had any success under Radford? I'm sure ehbandit can tell us.

I think they won the premier NCL within 2 seasons of promotion, beat Swinton in challenge cup, also won the ncl grand final and national cup in same season, and the a team won the Yorkshire cup! so I think he was fairly successful! but obviously this is a different level, however, he is good.

Edited by ehbandit, 21 September 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#33 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

I think they won the premier NCL within 2 seasons of promotion, beat Swinton in challenge cup, also won the ncl grand final and national cup in same season, and the a team won the Yorkshire cup! so I think he was fairly successful! but obviously this is a different level, however, he is good.

I also think he coached hull RUFC to promotion in his first year coaching them, I'm not sure tho.

#34 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,986 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

I stand corrected. Thanks ehb.
  • tag likes this

rldfsignature.jpg

#35 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

may as well give ellis a coaching role if hull want to get anything back from their "investment" like a pumpkin sale on 1st of nov!

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#36 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

Not sure about Radford and Last taking over long term.

Sure, Radford's not the sort of bloke you'd look forward to an after match discussion with as a player after a performance like Thursday's, so that might help but he's not experienced enough imo.

This would be seen as another cheap option and would probably end in more tears as usual.

Perhaps Pearson will give them next season to prove themselves which I'd be happy with. My club always seem to give long contracts or contract extensions to coaches who simply don't produce consistency.

One thing's for sure, you won't have any player who thinks he's bigger than the club while Radford's in charge. 

Spoken like a man who still bears the scars from Len Casey's time as Hull coach.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#37 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

I stand corrected. Thanks ehb.

Believe it or not I do know a thing or two about the game and wouldn't have said it had it not been the truth. I could have also told you myself had I not been in an archive looking at Hull KR's annual reports from 1897-1976.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#38 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,986 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Believe it or not I do know a thing or two about the game and wouldn't have said it had it not been the truth. I could have also told you myself had I not been in an archive looking at Hull KR's annual reports from 1897-1976.

I'm sure you could. Sorry for any offence that may have been taken.

rldfsignature.jpg

#39 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

This is due to the woeful youth structures that were in place before Pearson took over (we'd not brought anyone through since Tom Briscoe in 2008). In two years, we've brought through Crooks, Lineham, Shaul, Green, Kent, Bowden and others are also getting some time.
In the mean time, we've had to pad out with young English "squad players" to give us depth and offer a bit of potential.
But we NEED size and strength, and this is where Gentle got it massively wrong. He went for a mobile pack, but then didn't give them the attacking structures to use it! Manu replaced with Ellis (not the same kind of player), Moa with Paea (a year later), O'Meley with Paleasina. Lynch with (rumoured) Con Mika. Tickle with ?. The starting recruitment has been horrendous. With Briscoe going, and possibly Yeaman, we're going to be weak on the left side as well.

Go on say it, you know you want to .

#40 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

Go on say it, you know you want to .

I genuinely have no idea what you're on about?
And by the lack of response, neither does anyone else.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users