Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gentle tipped to leave Hull

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

I liked Peter Gentle.. shame to see him go. Think next season Hull would have been a much better side. He clearly went in with the attitude of fix the defence first, and the then focus in attack, which i think was the right approach. This season was all about tightening that Hull defence, which he certainly did. 

Lee Radford sorted the defence! If he is the new coach he will do well.

#62 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

For every person happy with this decision there are 20 who are not happy, if twitter and comments on the official FC Facebook page are anything to go by. Pearson really isn't doing himself any favours on the PR front.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#63 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

Lee Radford sorted the defence! If he is the new coach he will do well.

Radford is unproven. There is a huge difference between being head coach at East Hull and being head coach at Hull FC. He should go and ply his trade at Championship level first and gain experience.

He is also part of the institutionalisation that has happened at Hull FC. The culture of the club needs breaking if it is to move forward. Bringing in an ex player who is mates with the boys is not the way to bring about positive change.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#64 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

i think i may be one of the very few who actually saw peter gentle play, he played for nottingham against highfield at hoghton road sthelens.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#65 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

Do not go gentle into that good night...

#66 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,641 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Sorry, I keep forgetting about the extension.

Hull FC are a club with many strange business practices, but their habit of extending the contracts of coaches before they've even decided whether they like the coach or not is particularly mystifying.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#67 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

Radford is unproven. There is a huge difference between being head coach at East Hull and being head coach at Hull FC. He should go and ply his trade at Championship level first and gain experience.
He is also part of the institutionalisation that has happened at Hull FC. The culture of the club needs breaking if it is to move forward. Bringing in an ex player who is mates with the boys is not the way to bring about positive change.

which championship club did gentle coach before he got the hull job?

#68 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

I am informed there is a top level coach residing in the North East who has suddenly become available and he is definitely not Gentle. ;)

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#69 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

which championship club did gentle coach before he got the hull job?

He had more experience than Radford.

#70 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Knee jerk reaction and a bad move imo

The lack of consistency has probably been the final nail, but I put that down to the players/captain etc more than the coach.

1st Mistake was taking the captaincy off Lynch and giving it to Ellis (probably an integral part of the Ellis deal).

Ellis was missing at the start of the season and took long enough to get into the swing when he did return, without worrying about the responsibility of captaincy.

The abject failure of Westerman (or Revolving Door as I liked to call him) for 90% of the season (although I believe played out of position to make best use of his talents).

Holdsworth's headaches and injury to O'Meeley at a crucial time also didn't help.

O'Meeley was having his best season for us since he arrived and certainly put the oomph into Hull's attack.

So Gentle can feel hard done by and the new proposed coaching set up doesn't inspire me with any confidence at all  :fie:

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#71 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

Knee jerk reaction and a bad move imo

The lack of consistency has probably been the final nail, but I put that down to the players/captain etc more than the coach.

1st Mistake was taking the captaincy off Lynch and giving it to Ellis (probably an integral part of the Ellis deal).

Ellis was missing at the start of the season and took long enough to get into the swing when he did return, without worrying about the responsibility of captaincy.

The abject failure of Westerman (or Revolving Door as I liked to call him) for 90% of the season (although I believe played out of position to make best use of his talents).

Holdsworth's headaches and injury to O'Meeley at a crucial time also didn't help.

O'Meeley was having his best season for us since he arrived and certainly put the oomph into Hull's attack.

So Gentle can feel hard done by and the new proposed coaching set up doesn't inspire me with any confidence at all  :fie:

This post echoes my thoughts exactly.....

#72 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

I wonder if the conditioners are going? been told the y are a big problem at the club

#73 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

This post echoes my thoughts exactly.....

Me too

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#74 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

i think i may be one of the very few who actually saw peter gentle play, he played for nottingham against highfield at hoghton road sthelens.

I have a strange feeling I was also there.  Don't remember the game much, but I recall a stray dog turning its nose up at the "soup" I'd just refused to drink. Think I may have had a lucky escape there.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#75 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

But on a more serious note I do despair with my club at times.  Loads of hype. This is our year. #be13eve. etc etc. And then when things get tricky, or we don't perform as we "should" on paper its like a re-enactment of the night of the long knives.  John Kear - won the challenge cup for us in 2005. Sacked in 2006. Peter Sharp - 9 game winning streak & grand final place in 2007. Sacked in 2008. Peter Gentle - twice into second round of play-offs & wembley final this year. Sacked this year. Dear god the only coach that got given any "time to prove himself" was Agar. And what a happy, success-filled, attack-minded, steel-defenced four years that turned out to be. Oh and I could add, Sigsworth, Cleal & Simmons to that list.

We look like a carbon copy of Warrington in the pre-Moran / Smith years. Constantly look good. Constantly come up short.  I can only hope that this is just another one of those "hiccups" before we genuinely hit the big time again.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#76 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Once the WC is over a certain Brian Smith will be looking for a job.

rldfsignature.jpg

#77 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Once the WC is over a certain Brian Smith will be looking for a job.

That would be great as far as I'm concerned.

The guy is the biggest loser in RL!

All the great teams he has had and coached and the amount of trophies won is ......................... None! The guy could be 50 nil up at half time in a cup final with the oppostion down to 11 men, and I would still back him to find a way to lose.

#78 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

If like it has been stated in an earlier post that Paul Cooke is to have some position at Hull FC, will he still be head coach at Doncaster and do both jobs or will it mean he can only do one or the other?.

#79 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

Just met with Radford at the KC on the Walk Against Cancer for the Steve Prescott Foundation. He's in good spirits.

#80 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,730 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

Radford and Last it is then...

http://iota.ecommzon...f4ee/story1.htm

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users