Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Newcastle v Melbourne - spoilers likely

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

There'll be a few moans about this being on here, but I think it's relevant for the World Cup.

Real tough game early doors, Newcastle leading 6-4 at the moment. The thing England need to be aware of is the dirty tricks that players like Smith, Slater and Cronk get away with. We've already seen Slater staying down to win a penalty, and all three players ranting and raving at the referee. Time for McNamara to start thinking about how to intimidate the officials, as Australia will already have their plan written. Throw in the unpleasant Thurston and we'll be fighting against 14 men again, like in 2011.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#2 Jarv

Jarv
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Havent seen any of the game yet all I can see is seagulls

#3 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Cracking game so far. Come on Storm!

#4 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

There'll be a few moans about this being on here, but I think it's relevant for the World Cup.

Real tough game early doors, Newcastle leading 6-4 at the moment. The thing England need to be aware of is the dirty tricks that players like Smith, Slater and Cronk get away with. We've already seen Slater staying down to win a penalty, and all three players ranting and raving at the referee. Time for McNamara to start thinking about how to intimidate the officials, as Australia will already have their plan written. Throw in the unpleasant Thurston and we'll be fighting against 14 men again, like in 2011.

Give it up Mate.

I guess no English players whine at the Ref?

I could name a few that never stop whining.

Newcastle came out of the blocks fast and deserve to be ahead, this should go down to the wire.

Edited by AndyCapp, 21 September 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#5 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

It's like they're pre-programmed.

#6 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

Good to see Danny Buderus running the show, 35, ex Leeds. Looked up to Sinfield, the best player in the world.

#7 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Good to see Danny Buderus running the show, 35, ex Leeds. Looked up to Sinfield, the best player in the world.

Thats it.

King Kev is what added the finishing touch to Buderus game,  ;)

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

Commentators not impressed with the penalty against Slater.

#9 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

This Slater lad's no good under the high ball.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

Great Melbourne try.
Slater looking a bit iffy with his knee

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

Melbourne just making too many errors, very unlike them.

#12 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

This Slater lad's no good under the high ball.

Shush he's in the NRL he catches everything

#13 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Storm have been rubbish in the last few weeks....very much out of form. Even if they somehow win this I think they'll get smashed next week. And I'm a storm fan!

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

2 points in it now......

#15 Jarv

Jarv
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

From an England point of view another week for Melbourne meens another week for Gareth Widdop to show some form

#16 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

Slater has been past his best for 2 or 3 years, still good but has lost his edge and acceleration that made him so dangerous in broken play.

I wish him well but I am not worried if  he is not the Kangaroo Fullback.

Edited by AndyCapp, 21 September 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#17 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Slater has been past his best for 2 or 3 years, still good but has lost his edge and acceleration that made him so dangerous in broken play.
I wish him well but I am not worried if he is not the Kangaroo Fullback.

With Cronk and Slater though the fact he times his run perfectly gives him that half a second edge over the defence which is vital.

With Cronk and Smith playing I'd go for Slater, Cherry Evans playing instead of Cronk I'd maybe look elsewhere.

#18 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Feel like I've spent three hours watching Melbourne players on the floor. They should sign Steve Matai; he'd fit in well.

#19 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

They should give Slater a radio mic direct to the refs, save him running over after every decision

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

Great game this