The Tallest Set of Forwards Ever?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

I was watching the Melbourne/Newcastle game yesterday thinking about how many 'giants' the Storm have in their side. I know that they have used last night's 17 before but here are the official heights of some of their forwards (including interchange players) from yesterday:

McLean 196 cm
Harris 195 cm
Bromwich (J) 194 cm
Ryles 194 cm
Norrie 192 cm
Hoffman 192 cm
Proctor 189 cm

For reference, 6' 4" is basically 193cm

They also used Smith (185cm), Kenny Bromwich (183 cm) and Hinchcliffe (182cm) but the ten of them still have an average height over 190 cm.

Unless one of the shorter guys has ever been replaced, perhaps by Tim Glasby, it's hard to think of this not being the tallest set of forwards that have played the professional game.

#2 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

They should have signed Wayne McDonald when they had the chance.

rldfsignature.jpg

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

yeah yeah they are all massive.........but they still lost

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for that 'spud. I haven't watched that game yet.

rldfsignature.jpg

#5 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

how much did they weigh?

#6 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

how much did they weigh?

All over 17st

#7 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

you can be the biggest lump of lard ever and have no rugby brain, and I've seen plenty huge players not use their weight, or just trundle a few feet and either lose the ball or give away a penalty 

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#8 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for that 'spud. I haven't watched that game yet.

haha

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#9 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

I think it's certainly the tallest I've seen in my time following the game (which isn't that long compared to some). One of Newcastle's tall forwards, a certain Willie Mason, hasn't been doing too badly lately. Whoever would have thought that he could rejuvenate his career and bounce back to playing at such a level after he looked so washed up? Full credit to him, he's done himself proud.

Edited by MrFussy, 22 September 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#10 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

I think it's certainly the tallest I've seen in my time following the game (which isn't that long compared to some). One of Newcastle's tall forwards, a certain Willie Mason, hasn't been doing too badly lately. Whoever would have thought that he could rejuvenate his career and bounce back to playing at such a level after he looked so washed up? Full credit to him, he's done himself proud.

it's strange isn't it when these Aussie supermen come here and are a load of ######, then when they go back to nrl they seem to become world beaters again. is it because super league is harder? or is it that both leagues are hard but just different? e.g played in a different way to each other, so sl might be a bit more physical, while nrl is a bit faster.

#11 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,464 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

it's strange isn't it when these Aussie supermen come here and are a load of ######, then when they go back to nrl they seem to become world beaters again. is it because super league is harder? or is it that both leagues are hard but just different? e.g played in a different way to each other, so sl might be a bit more physical, while nrl is a bit faster.

In Mason's case, surely it was all to do with his mindset and attitude?

A Fev Blog

#12 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

Didn't saints have a set of Giraffes a few years back - so much that they did a gimmick promo that if you were taller than their tallest prop you got in free?

#13 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

Didn't saints have a set of Giraffes a few years back - so much that they did a gimmick promo that if you were taller than their tallest prop you got in free?

I remember 6ft7 prop/second rower for saints called John Harrison, who I think headed the ball over the try line at the play the ball and a try was scored and it was legal.

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

I think Saints are due to have a few tall forwards next season.  Alex Walmsley is 6ft 5, Masoe is around the same (and about as wide) and I think the guy we've got from HKR is not far short of it. LMS is a mere 6ft 1. I don't know how tall Amor is though so that could spoil things!

#15 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

Leeds had quite a tall pack ...................................then they played Rob Burrow at hooker and their average dropped to just a tad over 3'6".

#16 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

I didn't think Mason was too bad at Hull KR when he was on the pitch. He just wasn't on the pitch very often.

rldfsignature.jpg

#17 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

I remember 6ft7 prop/second rower for saints called John Harrison, who I think headed the ball over the try line at the play the ball and a try was scored and it was legal.

I remember that try, it was certainly legal at the time but I think they change the rules afterwards to stop ti happening again.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#18 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

I remember that try, it was certainly legal at the time but I think they change the rules afterwards to stop ti happening again.

Remember seeing it on a question of sport's "what happens next" round, LOL with David Coleman before I was a league fan.

#19 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Just watched the game and I was waiting for the inevitable Melbourne winner. You rascal 'spud.

rldfsignature.jpg

#20 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

The average height and weight of the props and second rowers at barrow this season was 6 ft 3 103kg. Still didn't stop us getting dominated up the middle by other sides.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users