Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Tallest Set of Forwards Ever?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 844 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

Raiders used to have a prop rotation of Tom Learoyd Lahrs (194m), David Shillington (194cm), Dane Tilse (200cm) and Brett White (189cm). TLL is always injured and Paul Vaughn (189cm) plays in his place now.

They're only props, not a whole pack. 3 of them used to be Test players, so I guess they did make use of their size.

Our two best forwards are Shaun Fensom and Josh Papalli, both 182cm. The aforementioned Vaughn was our best prop.

#22 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:00 AM

it's strange isn't it when these Aussie supermen come here and are a load of ######, then when they go back to nrl they seem to become world beaters again. is it because super league is harder? or is it that both leagues are hard but just different? e.g played in a different way to each other, so sl might be a bit more physical, while nrl is a bit faster.

Buderus was there as well.

#23 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

And now they've signed George Rose - the fattest forward ever

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#24 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

Wakefields Grand Final winning pack was pretty big.
I remember Paul Cullen on TV standing at the end of the tunnel as the teams came out and saying "if there's a bigger set of forwards running around in the game than Wakefields then I haven't seen them"

#25 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

I also remember the Kangaroos touring side of 1990 being very tall and big, they included

Mark Carroll, Paul Sironen, Mark Geyer, Ian Roberts and Paul Harrogan who all stand around 6'4" or 6'5"

#26 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

Karl Pryce
Eorl Crabtree

Both very tall but hardly world beaters!

#27 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

Ian Kirke, Chris Feather and Wayne McDonald are all examples of big players with no real attributes to have played at Leeds in the last decade.

As for Mason, he came over here thinking it would be easy and he would be having a paid holiday. He was wrong. He knew to get a gig back in the NRL though he's have to raise his game again otherwise he wouldn't last.

Brett Mullins was shocking at Leeds but the year after at the Roosters he was leading try scorer and looked a different class. It's all to do with their mindset.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#28 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Ian Kirke, Chris Feather and Wayne McDonald are all examples of big players with no real attributes to have played at Leeds in the last decade.
As for Mason, he came over here thinking it would be easy and he would be having a paid holiday. He was wrong. He knew to get a gig back in the NRL though he's have to raise his game again otherwise he wouldn't last.
Brett Mullins was shocking at Leeds but the year after at the Roosters he was leading try scorer and looked a different class. It's all to do with their mindset.

did bradley Clyde play over here also, seem to remember him doing so?

#29 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

And now they've signed George Rose - the fattest forward ever

George is definitely an old style forward. I'm surprised he gets a gig in the NRL. Having said that I quite like watching him play. He's not afraid to take the ball up and gets some good balls away at times.

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users