Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Chokers

• Please log in to reply
242 replies to this topic

#201 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

I also thing that the top of the Championship has become more competitive and, just like in Super League, it is very difficult for the League Winners to maintain their form in the play-offs and big cup matches as favourites when the clubs that finish below them find it easier to raise their game. Sheffield lost their first big final in which they were favourites, let's see how they do second time around?

Strangely, most of the nine finals we've played in have been won by the underdog.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#202 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

I would like to see a huge improvement in refereeing next season, the wrestle and slow ptb is spoiling the spectacle, then you have the inconsistency of policing...........

#203 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

we can debate this thing to death but it won't change a thing. what's done is done. next season we have a new coach, with him will come new ideas, some new players and new objectives, and i for one am looking forward to it.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#204 Monkeymagic22

Monkeymagic22
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

I agree, time to move on and forget the past. Exciting to see what signings we make for next season.

#205 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

All golden point defeats we have suffered have featured one missed conversion, all be it difficult ones thats the margin. Had we have won the game 22-20 on Sunday I think we missed a conversion for the first try, no one would have questioned the half backs The draw versus Halifax in the NRC, I can't remember if it was Tommy Saxton or Bostock who scored a try just by the clubhouse. It put us 6 points up with 5 minutes to play, Liam was unsuccesful with the con. Halifax went on to score a converted try. In the Grand final defeat we were 22-4 up with about 30 mins to go. Hardaker had just scored his second try on the far right as we attacked the stand that caught fire. Liam or Kyle I can't remember missed the conversion to make it 24-4, now Liam/Kyle have been a fine kickers and these kicks were difficult and pressurised, however had they gone over, there would have been no talk of decision making or golden point. A major difference on Sunday was that Gareth Moore kicked the goals from difficult angles when needed.

There are alternative ways of settling a tied contest. One of them can be to make the side scoring the most tries the winner, but that wouldn't have worked on Sunday,and Batley would have gone out to Leigh the week before, another would be to make the away team the winners, and then there's always the way Great Britain won the 1972 World Cup, and that is to give the tie to the side with better record in the qualifying rounds, in this case the league. One thing I'd like to see is to deduct all conversions from the score in the event of a tie, because why should a try scored under the sticks often be worth more than one scored in the corner?

#206 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

Easier to defend the centre of the field therefore the posts! Easier to score on the fringe, less defenders.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#207 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

There are alternative ways of settling a tied contest. One of them can be to make the side scoring the most tries the winner, but that wouldn't have worked on Sunday,and Batley would have gone out to Leigh the week before, another would be to make the away team the winners, and then there's always the way Great Britain won the 1972 World Cup, and that is to give the tie to the side with better record in the qualifying rounds, in this case the league. One thing I'd like to see is to deduct all conversions from the score in the event of a tie, because why should a try scored under the sticks often be worth more than one scored in the corner?

Because the idea is to score near the posts.  It's not American Football.

#208 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Have you told them what time they can kick off Griff?

#209 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Have you told them what time they can kick off Griff?

As soon as we're ready, pal.

#210 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:49 AM

Some more evidence....

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8BugGPbce54

Luke robinson on 30 seconds - You forget who wins the league leaders shield

Danny Brough on 6 minutes - The main aim is to get to the Grand final!

Ken Davy on 7 minutes - There is a long way to go yet

Are they all on Sky's pay roll?

The general consensus from the players/coaches/chairmen who speak about the subject matter is that its excellent to win the league but its the grand final they all really want. Are you still debating that I wont find anyone who says they wouldn't rather win the grand final than the league? 

Do you want me to go and find some more videos about it?

Not necessary, but boy do you have too much time on your hands, but that's probably because you are not organising a trip to Leigh on Sunday!!!!!!

Do you honestly think in a post match interview aired on Sky, (who happen to put the most money in to the game) especially whilst the team in question is still in the play-off's, that any player or representative of a club is going to say "...you know what, I think we've done enough for this season, our goal was to win the league, the play off's aren't as important as the league, so I don't think we'll bother to turn up for the next match". 

I can see comments like those going down well with fans and RFL, the attendances for the so called "biggest competition in the game" would be even lower than they have already been this season. I'm sure the governing body would also be overjoyed with a club upsetting the games biggest injector of cash. 

Why don't you do a bit more research and look up Jon Wilkin's and Tony Smith's views on the play off's, at least their comments and interviews were not aired during a post match interview on Sky and might just have a little more semblance of truth about them!!!

#211 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

As soon as we're ready, pal.

If you let me know what time your arriving I will set timer on my Betamax.

#212 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

If you let me know what time your arriving I will set timer on my Betamax.

Ah - I thought you'd have one of those.

#213 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Ah - I thought you'd have one of those.

I know

#214 Wise Man

Wise Man
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

i always thought the best way to settle extra time would be winner after 10 mins and then again another 10 mins if scores still level. then if Still level first one to miss drop goal conversions. maybe mad but i think its fairer

#215 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

i always thought the best way to settle extra time would be winner after 10 mins and then again another 10 mins if scores still level. then if Still level first one to miss drop goal conversions. maybe mad but i think its fairer

The best way to settle it is by a Golden Try. In golden point time all penalties should be differential, and drop goals shouldn't count. The most strenuous aspect of Rugby League is to Score a try, if sudden death has to be used it should be decided by the act of try scoring.
Another fair way off doing it would be that if the scores are level in normal time the team that has had most Coaches / Managers in the season prevails.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 29 September 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#216 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

Why not just have a replay.

#217 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

Another fair way off doing it would be that if the scores are level in normal time the team that has had most Coaches / Managers in the season prevails.

you're a very wise man Andrew

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#218 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 725 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

Why not just have a replay.

Wouldn't have been time , we only had a week to organise tickets / busses as it was , for our troubles of finishing first .

#219 Ackropj

Ackropj
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

All ifs and Buts etc, The fact is the rules are laid down before a ball is even kicked at the begining of the season, Like it or Lump it. Thats the way it is.

#220 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

All ifs and Buts etc, The fact is the rules are laid down before a ball is even kicked at the begining of the season, Like it or Lump it. Thats the way it is.

agreed. No qualms from the ginger faction!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)