Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Turning the grand final into the Super Bowl.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Would it be a good idea taking the grand final on the road every year by having host cities bid for this showpiece, Just like in the US with the super bowl? You could have the grand final played in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Cardiff, London and maybe at potential new stadiums in Sheffield and Birmingham. It could create good publicity for our game by having host cities bid for the final and taking our showpiece event to new areas of the country.

#2 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

Would it be a good idea taking the grand final on the road every year by having host cities bid for this showpiece, Just like in the US with the super bowl? You could have the grand final played in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Cardiff, London and maybe at potential new stadiums in Sheffield and Birmingham. It could create good publicity for our game by having host cities bid for the final and taking our showpiece event to new areas of the country.

Just like the magic weekend?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#3 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

Or you could continue to play it at one of the most famous stadiums in the world and build up some tradition, prestige and anticipation.

#4 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

Old Trafford is fine at this time of year ,handy for our fans and Man utd seem to have a good relationship with RL.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#5 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

Just like the magic weekend?

But with more fans.

#6 fatboystu

fatboystu
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

if it ain't broke etc etc ;)

#7 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,924 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

The difference is that the Super Bowl has loads of potential host cities that have huge populations and huge stadiums all with a huge interest in the game.

We have Manchester. That's about it. Only Cardiff, Wembley and Twickenham could hold a crowd the size of a Grand Final.
Posted Image

#8 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

It also works well being at old Trafford because the two finalists are only known the week before.

#9 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

if it ain't broke etc etc ;)

Fair point but other than your diehard RL fans nobody really knows this game is taking place, maybe a different host city every year would just create a little outside interest with non rugby league fans and the media.

#10 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

The difference is that the Super Bowl has loads of potential host cities that have huge populations and huge stadiums all with a huge interest in the game.
We have Manchester. That's about it. Only Cardiff, Wembley and Twickenham could hold a crowd the size of a Grand Final.

Celtic park, Hampden, murrayfield, arsenal's ground and the Liverpool FC potential stadium or a revamped villa park.

#11 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

But with more fans.

Hold your horses,because a lot of people will be holding their breath if Huddersfield get to Old Trafford this year

The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#12 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hold your horses,because a lot of people will be holding their breath if Huddersfield get to Old Trafford this year

If they did I can see maybe 5,000 hardcore giants fans going and maybe another 5,000 bandwagon(Huddersfield town fans) fans. The grand final is just like the challenge cup final with the majority of the crowd being made up of neutrals.

#13 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

If they did I can see maybe 5,000 hardcore giants fans going and maybe another 5,000 bandwagon(Huddersfield town fans) fans. The grand final is just like the challenge cup final with the majority of the crowd being made up of neutrals.

No it isn't. Have you been to GFs? If you go on the ticket site half the stadium isn't even on sale yet until the finalists are confirmed.

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

Celtic park, Hampden, murrayfield, arsenal's ground and the Liverpool FC potential stadium or a revamped villa park.

none of them hold 70k

#15 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

No it isn't. Have you been to GFs? If you go on the ticket site half the stadium isn't even on sale yet until the finalists are confirmed.

I thought the RFL/ SL usually hold back ten thousand tickets for each finalist?

rldfsignature.jpg

#16 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 930 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

No problem with the venue, however I'd love to see the build up and media coverage to match that of the Superbowl. Any ideas on how we do that and the financials of TGG would be hugely improved.

#17 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

No problem with the venue, however I'd love to see the build up and media coverage to match that of the Superbowl. Any ideas on how we do that and the financials of TGG would be hugely improved.

Super league grand final halftime show, complete with adverts for the tv.

#18 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 930 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

I've never seen a Superbowl but I know the adverts are a big tradition each year. It would be great to have a similar situation for Rugby League, something like this idea of exclusive adverts to attract new supporters. I'm simply not sure if the sport and occasion would fit the bill for potential companies looking to advertise.

#19 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

I thought the RFL/ SL usually hold back ten thousand tickets for each finalist?

https://www.eticketi...inalPricing.png

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#20 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

I've never seen a Superbowl but I know the adverts are a big tradition each year. It would be great to have a similar situation for Rugby League, something like this idea of exclusive adverts to attract new supporters. I'm simply not sure if the sport and occasion would fit the bill for potential companies looking to advertise.

Real world calling.

Fat chance.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.