Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Turning the grand final into the Super Bowl.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 fatboystu

fatboystu
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

super bowl half time = 30 minutes.

rugby league half time = 10 minutes

chance of advertisers falling over themselves + janet jacksons boob making an appearance = slim

#22 MustardBoy

MustardBoy
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:48 PM

Super league grand final halftime show, complete with adverts for the tv.

I said you buy one, you get one free, I said you buy one, you get one free... Go Compare, Go Compare... Should have gone to Specsavers... Do you need a high cost short term loan...

Now please give a warm round of applause for our half time act, 'Dappy'!

The money's just not there... Yet! 

Old Trafford is an amazing stadium that seems to hit the sweet spot in terms of capacity for the GF, and it's in the perfect location for Super League sides. Quite fortunate really!

#23 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

Real world calling.

Fat chance.

Never said this would happen at the grand final but that's what is needed to make it the huge spectacle and media hyped event like the super bowl. Unfortunately as good as the action and product on the field is it isn't attracting the media hype it deserves and we(RL) need to figure out how to attract all the show biz and celebrity aspect to the event like a super bowl or a big boxing fight.

#24 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,172 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

I said you buy one, you get one free, I said you buy one, you get one free... Go Compare, Go Compare... Should have gone to Specsavers... Do you need a high cost short term loan...

Now please give a warm round of applause for our half time act, 'Dappy'!

The money's just not there... Yet!

Old Trafford is an amazing stadium that seems to hit the sweet spot in terms of capacity for the GF, and it's in the perfect location for Super League sides. Quite fortunate really!

due to good viewing figures, the ads during RL are generally high end companies.

#25 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

Celtic park, Hampden, murrayfield, arsenal's ground and the Liverpool FC potential stadium or a revamped villa park.

Who is revamping Villa Park?

If they did I can see maybe 5,000 hardcore giants fans going and maybe another 5,000 bandwagon(Huddersfield town fans) fans. The grand final is just like the challenge cup final with the majority of the crowd being made up of neutrals.

Town took 35,000 to a Play Off final at Old Trafford (where I would like to add that the team were outplayed and the fans outshouted by the mighty Posh). That was three times their average gate - surely some of those will make the 45 minute trip to Manchester?
People called Romans they go the house

#26 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

Who is revamping Villa Park?

Need a revamped Aston Villa before we start on Villa Park
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#27 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

The idea is a good one but not for the Grand Final but for the Magic Weekend.    Make the Magic Weekend a celebration of RL with various games during the week leading to the weekend. Various games being schools, amateur, championship, even play one of the SL games during the week, too - maybe try and co-incide some schools finals or amateur finals for that week  Have regions or cities bid for holding the event. Of course would need to have the week during half term or summer term with the city or region providing various accommodations for participants  all of whom with family get tickets to magic weekend.

That is use it as a means to promote the game in those area's we may want to expand into or re-establish interest in the game....

#28 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Like the Super Bowl? No thank you. Turgid affairs where the viewers & spectators are often glad of a break from the 'action'.
Let's have the pre-match vejazzle & something at half time to keep the crowd entertained for the 10 minutes. Other than that you can beggar off.
The Super Bowl isn't about the action on the field, it' all about what's going on off it.
No one ever remembers Super Bowls for magical pieces of play or controversial incidents do they?
Let's not sacrifice the game too much at the altars of television, it's gone far enough as it is.
And why is it called Super Bowl? Not a lane, ball or pin in sight!!

I was thinking more of the different venue every year aspect of the super bowl rather than all the razzmatazz, but a little hype wouldn't go amiss.

#29 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

Like the Super Bowl? No thank you. Turgid affairs where the viewers & spectators are often glad of a break from the 'action'.

Let's have the pre-match vejazzle & something at half time to keep the crowd entertained for the 10 minutes. Other than that you can beggar off.

The Super Bowl isn't about the action on the field, it' all about what's going on off it.

No one ever remembers Super Bowls for magical pieces of play or controversial incidents do they?

Let's not sacrifice the game too much at the altars of television, it's gone far enough as it is.

I think we may have slightly different pre game rituals! :ph34r:

#30 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

Other than Wembley or the Millennium, there's nowhere befitting the occasion.

Why move the game away from the best stadium situated in one of the most densely populated, well connected areas of the UK?

From a magic weekend (as distinct from GF which should be at old trafford)..

I like it being at Eithad personally just because of ease of travel for me.   But what exactly does the magic weekend achieve.   It seems to me that the overall attendance isn't much different than if the games where separate,  lots of fans only watch their own team and so the stadium is empty during games, etc.  

What is the objective of the magic weekend.  I'm OK if its meant to be a means of promoting the game into an expansion area, which I guess Manchester is.  But equally would be good to do it in France too.

Edited by redjonn, 23 September 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#31 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

Other than Wembley or the Millennium, there's nowhere befitting the occasion.
Why move the game away from the best stadium situated in one of the most densely populated, well connected areas of the UK?

I agree that old Trafford is a fantastic venue and ideally situated for the fans, the only reason I would advocate for a super bowl style different venue every year scenario would be only for the media attention and promotional aspect of first the bidding process from the various cities and stadia and then the run up to the final being in a new city/venue. The grand final is to great of a spectical to be kept a secret from people outside of the rugby league family, not only does it deserve national TV, radio and print media attention but I would go as far as saying it needs and deserves to be international.

#32 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

I agree that old Trafford is a fantastic venue and ideally situated for the fans, the only reason I would advocate for a super bowl style different venue every year scenario would be only for the media attention and promotional aspect of first the bidding process from the various cities and stadia and then the run up to the final being in a new city/venue. The grand final is to great of a spectical to be kept a secret from people outside of the rugby league family, not only does it deserve national TV, radio and print media attention but I would go as far as saying it needs and deserves to be international.

You are proposing something totally impractical, and damaging.

Impractical because, there aren't the stadia with the capacity and the finalists are only known the week before, making hotels and transport an issue for a lot of people.

Damaging because to do it, you would have to lose 20,000 people who would be attending at Old Trafford if you did take it to a lot of venues.

Have you actually thought this one through?

Edited by Padge, 23 September 2013 - 12:22 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#33 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

Didn't Man utd reject a request from RU to play a game at Old Trafford? whereas RFL seem to have a good relationship with Man Utd.Why bite the hand that feeds us?

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#34 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

You are proposing something totally impractical, and damaging.

Impractical because, there aren't the stadia with the capacity and the finalists are only known the week before, making hotels and transport an issue for a lot of people.

Damaging because to do it, you would have to lose 20,000 people who would be attending at Old Trafford if you did take it to a lot of venues.

Have you actually thought this one through?

Dont worry I dont work for the RFL or anything, It was just a suggestion and idea of trying to make this great event even greater and have it more exposed to the outside world of non rugby league sporting fans. The overwhelming consensus seems to be leaving it in Manchester and I'm happy with that, the question remains how do we sell this event to a wider viewing and commercial audience?

#35 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Didn't Man utd reject a request from RU to play a game at Old Trafford? whereas RFL seem to have a good relationship with Man Utd.Why bite the hand that feeds us?

That was for the 2014 rugby union world cup I think. Also man utd have a long tradition of hosting rugby league matches, world cup finals, semi-finals, test matches and challenge cup semi-finals, plus some of their superstars are genuine league fans like rio Ferdinand, Ryan giggs, Wayne Rooney etc who help in promoting the game with tv and newspaper interviews and tweets.

#36 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Your ignorance to the sport knows no bounds.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#37 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

Dont worry I dont work for the RFL or anything, It was just a suggestion and idea of trying to make this great event even greater and have it more exposed to the outside world of non rugby league sporting fans. The overwhelming consensus seems to be leaving it in Manchester and I'm happy with that, the question remains how do we sell this event to a wider viewing and commercial audience?

Now that is a question, I think we need a sponsor of a well recognised brand who indulges in a lot of TV advertising.  We need them to then be willing to use the game as a delivery vehicle for their message. Heinz have done a bit with Big Soup but they have only done it on-line. We need some-one like that using the game on TV.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,172 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

Now that is a question, I think we need a sponsor of a well recognised brand who indulges in a lot of TV advertising.  We need them to then be willing to use the game as a delivery vehicle for their message. Heinz have done a bit with Big Soup but they have only done it on-line. We need some-one like that using the game on TV.

I think ultimately even big companies who are doing tv advertising are not interested in using our brand on TV. I don't think our brand would strengthen Heinz, Irn Bru, Foxy, Tetleys, Gillette - who have all been involved in TV ads. They all seem prepared to engage in local tactical advertising and promotions, plus targeted online stuff, but not mainstream, but then when the RFL only advertise their sport on TV in Granada and Yorkshire Regions, can you blame them?

#39 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

I think ultimately even big companies who are doing tv advertising are not interested in using our brand on TV. I don't think our brand would strengthen Heinz, Irn Bru, Foxy, Tetleys, Gillette - who have all been involved in TV ads. They all seem prepared to engage in local tactical advertising and promotions, plus targeted online stuff, but not mainstream, but then when the RFL only advertise their sport on TV in Granada and Yorkshire Regions, can you blame them?

I know that, but we need them to do what I said, that is raising the profile of the game. The fact that these companies don't is a problem, its a problem the game needs to address.

#40 MustardBoy

MustardBoy
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

due to good viewing figures, the ads during RL are generally high end companies.

Sure, but the point I was making is Super Bowl has acts like the The Rolling Stones, The Who & Prince playing at Half Time, Super League Final just wouldn't... Super Bowl gives away tens of Dodge SUV's, Super League Final gives one lucky person a year's supply of soup...

Also, people who think this Magic Weekend is a great idea seem deluded to me? It's just forcing loads of fans, who attend games anyway, to travel to an away game in a half full stadium. I doubt many neutrals attend the games. It's an absolutely pointless exercise and should be scrapped. More effort needs to be made on making sure home games are well attended and hyped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users