Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Turning the grand final into the Super Bowl.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

It's not the job of a sponsor, or the reason for sponsorship.  That's down to the game & those within it. What's needed is a few more savvy management agents to pick up the more marketable players.

A perfect opportunity presents itself in the World Cup. Pick all four Burgess brothers, even though they all may not be first 17, they are good enough to be in the squad.

Just imagine the opportunities for PR that would bring.....

Sponsorship should be a mutual benefit relationship, it shouldn't just be about a cash deal for advertising. The deals we do should be coupled with promotion of the game by the sponsor as well as promotion of their product by the game.

We are way behind in terms of mutual benefit sponsorship, we just want a big pay check. We were heading the right way with the Stobart deal, but that was still a poor deal in that it was too much the other way.

As for the Burgess brothers it would be a one day single column wonder.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#42 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:50 AM

Go on.

Bowl games are a college tradition in the US and are contested in the post season between the better teams in the game. They are called "Bowl" games because the 1st ever one was played at the Rose Bowl in Passedena, California (Where the '94 Soccer World Cup final was played) When the AFL and the NFL merged in the '67 they played the championship game between the top team from each league. It was dubbed the "Super Bowl" (as it's the best 2 professional teams contesting the final) by a coach from one of the AFL. This was picked up on by the media and was later officially named this in '70 I think.

As for the Super Bowl itself, the majority of people do not watch just for the commercials and halftime show. Yes, obviously there will be some but come on, it's the showpiece final for one of the biggest sports in the world where the lowest supported team averages just under 50k! Yes, that the lowest average. The highest push 90k and it's only stadium size that stops more turning up. They are artendances any sporting league in the world would die for!

The SB games themselves are normally high quality and rarely do you get blowouts. I couldn't even tell you who performed in the HT show before last year but I could tell you the scores and big moments from the last decades games or at least the last 5 years. Ask any fan worldwide (and there's a hell of a lot of us!!) if they sit through the highs and lows of the regular season and playoffs (if you're lucky enough to reach them) just so they can watch the Super Bowl halftime show and commercials and you'll hear a fair few choice words. It's disrespectful and moronic to belittle such an amazing sport and say people just watch the final for the show.

Oh and the world record for the loudest noise made by fans in sporting game was broke last week by the Seattle Seahawks fans. They epitomize passion and I'd love to go watch my team play there one day, for the experience of seeing my team play as such an amazing stadium with such a great fan base.

Anyway, rant over.

Carry on...

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#43 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 817 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:10 AM

Sure, but the point I was making is Super Bowl has acts like the The Rolling Stones, The Who & Prince playing at Half Time, Super League Final just wouldn't... Super Bowl gives away tens of Dodge SUV's, Super League Final gives one lucky person a year's supply of soup...

Also, people who think this Magic Weekend is a great idea seem deluded to me? It's just forcing loads of fans, who attend games anyway, to travel to an away game in a half full stadium. I doubt many neutrals attend the games. It's an absolutely pointless exercise and should be scrapped. More effort needs to be made on making sure home games are well attended and hyped.

Wouldn't you need a Super Bowl for a year's supply of soup?

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

I know that, but we need them to do what I said, that is raising the profile of the game. The fact that these companies don't is a problem, its a problem the game needs to address.

i agree, but I'm not sure we ever will while we are seen (and act) as a regional game.

#45 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

i agree, but I'm not sure we ever will while we are seen (and act) as a regional game.

But we've got London and Catalans - we are the European Super League!!

#46 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

You're right it was quite a rant. A rather childish one that seems to miss the point of the OP

Thanks for the explanation of how the term Super Bowl comes about. You didn't see the tongue in my cheek? How you equate that to ignorance of the sport is interesting.

The sport is big in the U.S. So what? Worldwide fan base? What did happen to the London Monarchs?

It's the razzamatazz around the sport, particularly who is lined up for the half time show, that is a major part of the promotion for the game. A very clever tactic in gaining publicity for a sport, that, outside of the U.S does not sustain any noticeable professional presence.

You're so wrapped up in it, you'll be suggesting rugby league introduces downs and plays quarters next.

These messages were brought to you by someone who actually does appreciate the athletes & skill involved, but who doesn't swallow the inane hype surrounding the game.

Caught up in the Hype surrounding the game?

I watch the sport for the sport. Not the stuff that comes with it. I have done since i was a kid. I pay £100 a year for Gamepass which enables me to watch my team every week, and any other game I want to watch. This service is available because there is such a demand for it worldwide. To me, if the Rhinos and Bucs ever clashed, I'd pick the Bucs match every time. This has nothing to do with any type of hype. This is to do with the love of my team and what happens on the field.

I didn't miss the op's point at all either. My post had nothing to do with it. There are sports I don't like but I wouldn't come out and talk down about them.

The Monarchs used to get decent crowds too. The German sides atracted 50k a week in NFLE too. At the end of the day though, it was a league full of below average players who weren't good enough (in general) for the main league.

Just look at the international series at Wembley over the last 7 years.

2007: 81,176
2008: 83,226
2009: 84,254
2010: 83,941
2011: 76,981
2012: 84,004
2013: 2 games this year, both sold out in a matter of days of the tickets going on sake. That's 170,000 tickets.

The only time it didn't sell out was in 2011 and that was lockout year where the players went on strike. The game wasn't confirmed until a month before because no one knew if there would be a season.

The NFL are also strongly considering introducing a London franchise too.

And of the 251 games played throughout an NFL season, only 1 has all the "razzmatazz" that surrounds it. When I've been to Ray Jay to watch the Bucs you get a flyover by the Air Force or coast guard (which has now been cut in Tampa), a local artist singing the national anthem and maybe a marching band at half time. It's very similar to half time at any other sport in the world. The Super Bowl hasn't always been like that either. The 1st few were played in front of poor crowds and slowly built their way up to what it is today. At the end of the day though, in the biggest sport in the States, in front of the largest TV audience of the year where companies pay millions just for a 30 second commercial, why not put on a show?

This sport has millions of fans world wide. It is growing too. The leagues in the UK are getting stronger each year. There were three British players signed to the nfl this year too. Tom Wort from Sussex who was signed by Tennessee but later waived due to a hamstring injury, Menelik Watson from Manchester who was drafted 43rd overall by the Oakland Raiders and Lawrence Okoye who was signed by the 49ers.

You may be thinking "3! Wow, that's not many" but this is in 1 year, in a country where of all the school kids playing, only 3 percent will make a college team. Of that 3%, only 1% will make it to the pros. You have to be great to even get to that level, then to stay there for more than a couple of years you have to be exceptional.

Anyway, the point I've been making is don't be disrespectful towards something you don't understand. Saying the majority of people just watch the sport for the added entertainment does a great disservice to the millions of us around the world who love the sport and to the athletes who bust their asses every week just to stay at the top. There is no better sport in the world for entertainment and excitement, speed, skill and aggression and that has nothing to do with 1 game a year that has a half time show.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#47 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

He who pays the piper calls the tune.  Have you got any examples of these type of sponsorship deals in other sports?  The mutual benefit is already there. One side gets money, the other gets sales.

Really? So the BBC, the broadcast partner for the 2013 RLWC wouldn't bother with it?  None of the trade press would? Andi Peters et al wouldn't look twice at such an opportunity? Four enormous, photogenic talented sportsmen who have already pulled off a once in 100 year thing in Aus & be a first for any British sports team ever?

You're right, it's a nothing story.

In the NFL there are two top level quarterbacks who are brothers and both have won super bowls. Peyton and Eli Manning. Their father, Archie manning was also a first class NFL quarterback. They have done several adverts on national TV both individually and collectively using their NFL celebrity to sell products. The Companies involved seem eager to avail themselves of these opportunities. The Burgess brothers, if selected for England as a group, should be able to do a similar job and could already masrket their fame in the Australian market.

#48 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

You're right it was quite a rant. A rather childish one that seems to miss the point of the OP

Thanks for the explanation of how the term Super Bowl comes about. You didn't see the tongue in my cheek?  How you equate that to ignorance of the sport is interesting.

The sport is big in the U.S. So what? Worldwide fan base?  What did happen to the London Monarchs?

It's the razzamatazz around the sport, particularly who is lined up for the half time show, that is a major part of the promotion for the game.  A very clever tactic in gaining publicity for a sport, that, outside of the U.S does not sustain any noticeable professional presence.

You're so wrapped up in it, you'll be suggesting rugby league introduces downs and plays quarters next.

These messages were brought to you by someone who actually does appreciate the athletes & skill involved, but who doesn't swallow the inane hype surrounding the game.

The six tackles is almost a dead ringer for the 4 downs in the NFL. The reason for both is to limit boring monoploising of possession without any noticeable advance. 

#49 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

Would it be a good idea taking the grand final on the road every year by having host cities bid for this showpiece, Just like in the US with the super bowl? You could have the grand final played in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Cardiff, London and maybe at potential new stadiums in Sheffield and Birmingham. It could create good publicity for our game by having host cities bid for the final and taking our showpiece event to new areas of the country.

The Super Bowl is not the massive event it is because it is staged at different venues across the US. It is because it is the climax to the season of one of America's biggest sports; one of the biggest sports as a result of its management having a vision of where it wanted to be and the ability to bring its vision about.

Had the NFL allowed itself to be restricted to a few post-industrial towns, from relatively poor region of the country - and be seen to be turning its back on, strategically, its most important market - then you could have bet your bottom dollar that its showpiece event would not be the success it is today.

The Grand Final is probably the most successful event in British rugby league and doesn't need messing around with in an attempt to compensate for the game's failure to grow its market appeal in other areas.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#50 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

It's not the job of a sponsor, or the reason for sponsorship.  That's down to the game & those within it. What's needed is a few more savvy management agents to pick up the more marketable players.

A perfect opportunity presents itself in the World Cup. Pick all four Burgess brothers, even though they all may not be first 17, they are good enough to be in the squad.

Just imagine the opportunities for PR that would bring.....

Well that depends upon the media... and the media, that is the newspaper end, like controversy and negativity fits in with that. Thus I could just as easy imagine huge negative publicity if the Burgess bothers where picked for any other reason than performance and being the best players for the positions as well as complementing the whole squad given the limited squad allowed.

Thus rugby league so desperate they turn to gimmicks by picking x4 brothers ...etc and so on....

So unless got a really strong case then it would be negative rather than positive....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users