Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Germany Calling!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

"...a disaster for the junior coalition partner, leaving it with no national representation in parliament for the first time..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-24197994

#2 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

A warning to the Lib-Dems?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#3 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

A warning to the Lib-Dems?

The lib dems are toast for giving the nasty party political cover and acting as a fig leaf for the Tories.

#4 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

I saw last week's Lib Dem conference as probably the last chance for them to start building momentum towards the next election.  Instead that nice Mr Clegg made it quite clear that they're the junior partner to the Tories and wanted to reflect in the glory of the Coalition successes.  He didn't mention though that to many their yellow logo now seems to have a blue border around it.

The Lib Dems won't be wiped out in the same way as the original post but I think they're right in the running for losing about half their MPs.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

Not really bothered about the Lib Dems. You have to give it to Merkel, she's one hell of a politician.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#6 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

It's 2013 and they've got a Christian party in power.  Incomprehensible.

#7 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

It's 2013 and they've got a Christian party in power.  Incomprehensible.

It is Christian in its general outlook but the CDU is hardly a theocratic party. And if it can continue to keep conservative elements in Germany wedded to democratic politics then that's fine by me! ;)

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

in terms of policy?

#9 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

http://berlinwahlkar....morgenpost.de/

Interesting map of election results in Berlin.

You can trace the wall by looking at the split between the SPD and Linke.

You can also see how the CDU, similar to the Tories here, loses the inner city but wins the suburbs.

That's me.  I'm done.

#10 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

Merkel has essentially taken a country that's had no post-WW2 majority government and just failed to achieve it for her party.  For a 3rd term leader, that's astonishingly good.  Especially given that she's had some pretty major internal criticism about her EU stances and the bailouts across Europe.

I may not like her policy stances in some areas but she's an outstanding politician.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#11 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Merkel has essentially taken a country that's had no post-WW2 majority government and just failed to achieve it for her party. For a 3rd term leader, that's astonishingly good. Especially given that she's had some pretty major internal criticism about her EU stances and the bailouts across Europe.

I may not like her policy stances in some areas but she's an outstanding politician.

Quite - 230 out of 290-odd seats. If they had our electoral system, there would hardly be any opposition whatsoever.

She's a remarkable politician for her election results and ability to unify at national level and with her peers at international level. I don't agree with all of her policies, but the narrative according to which she is is somehow colonising the rest of Europe (complete with jackboots and swastikas of course) is plain embarrassing. Germany's economic success speaks for itself, although she hasn't rocked the boat much following the reforms Schroeder put in place.
  • ckn likes this

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users