TRL Helpdesk - laptop upgrade advise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

As I’ve started to spend more time trying to teach myself how to use the digital darkroom, I’ve come to realise that the 3 year old laptop that I currently use for editing my photos is now starting to struggle with the size of the RAW files, as it is becoming increasingly slow and intermittently falls over. Due to this (and my wife complaining that I hog the only computer we own), I’m looking for a replacement that can cope with running Lightroom 5 and CS2, but that will potentially cope with any upgrades over the next few years. Photo editing is however the only thing that remotely tests the capabilities of my current machine, as web browsing and the odd excel spreadsheet is about all it is used for beyond that.

Obviously, the minimum tech requirements for these is what I need, however what should I “ideally” have processor/RAM wise? I was hoping to get something that would suffice for my requirements for no more than £500, less would be better, however if I need to spend more than that I will, it will just be further down the line. Due to space and portability requirements I’m looking for another laptop, but will also be looking to add a screen to it at some point in the future when funds allow.

Anyone with more current knowledge than mine care to offer me some guidance? The minimum requirements for lightroom are:

Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor*

DirectX 10–capable or later graphics card

Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1 or Windows 8

2GB of RAM (4GB recommended)

2GB of available hard-disk space

1024x768 display

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,156 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

It's memory that's the killer for most apps like that these days.  You realistically need 4GB or more if you're using Windows 7/8 or Mac OSX to do meaty things.  If you've got under 4GB then your system will treat your nice slow hard drive as extra memory and slow your system down to a snail's pace.

Processor technology has not had a major jump for probably three years now so if you didn't get a cheapo machine three years ago then it probably only needs a memory upgrade if you've only got 2GB in your system.  You'll get almost as much benefit from upgrading memory as you would buying a new machine.

I upgraded my Mac from 4GB to 8GB as soon as I got it as even 4GB was nowhere near enough.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Shop around, there were plenty of sub £500 laptops with 6gb or more when I last upgraded just over a year ago. I ended up with a HP Pavilion running MS Windows 7 with 8gb of memory for under £400. It's a bit 'platicy' and not as robust as my work HP ProBook, but perfectly fine for home use. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#4 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

It's memory that's the killer for most apps like that these days.  You realistically need 4GB or more if you're using Windows 7/8 or Mac OSX to do meaty things.  If you've got under 4GB then your system will treat your nice slow hard drive as extra memory and slow your system down to a snail's pace.

Processor technology has not had a major jump for probably three years now so if you didn't get a cheapo machine three years ago then it probably only needs a memory upgrade if you've only got 2GB in your system.  You'll get almost as much benefit from upgrading memory as you would buying a new machine.

I upgraded my Mac from 4GB to 8GB as soon as I got it as even 4GB was nowhere near enough.

I did this quite recently as my Toshiba laptop was ticking along fine but a bit slow. I am not a computer person but took it to one of those computer fixer blokes who upgraded the memory, did a bit of a tidy up (for some reason the hard drive was divided into two). It cost about £100 but is running much quicker now. The main problem is the battery life is rubbish but we just use it plugged in. Much cheaper than buying a new one.

#5 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

Mac.

Next question.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#6 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

Get one with a spell checker as well.  :tongue:

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users