Iconic Photos

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Yorkie44

Yorkie44
  • Coach
  • 344 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas really, more international ones as I'm going to change my phone case for World Cup, I was thinking Ryan Halls try at Wembley or maybe Jonathan Davies' at the same stadium, or is it Dave Valentine? Lifting the cup?

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,033 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

Copyright

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

Mike Gregory. Legend.

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,033 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Valentine from 54, Prescott from 58, Myler from 70, Sullivan from 72 These & many others available copyright free all over t'internet

Just because they are all over the internet doesn't make them copyright free.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

Who said that yorkie wasn't going to pay to use the iconic images?

#6 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,033 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Who said that yorkie wasn't going to pay to use the iconic images?

Nobody

#7 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

so what has copyright got to do with anything?

#8 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,033 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

so what has copyright got to do with anything?

Its a cautionary word, if its on the internet it doesn't mean if its yours to use as you wish.

Just because someone hasn't watermarked something as copyright.... doesn't mean it isn't under copyright. Easily removed as I once showed on here much to the chagrin of the photographer, but I did prove my point.

Now my money would be on the OP wasn't intending to approach the original photographer and offer to pay for use of the image which would include, lets say in the case of the Jiffy try, paying not only for the use of the photograph but also paying image rights to Jonathon Davies if the cover had any product name on it.

He may on the other hand have been willing to do just that, but that would be one very expensive phone cover.

Photographers are getting more and more tetchy about their images these days.

#9 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

it didn't come across like that. it came across as someone being a smart... Everything that is an original literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, a sound recording, a film or broadcast, or the typographical arrangement of a published edition has copyright, as well you know. Whether or not that will be enforced is the question.

I'm not sure what image rights have to do with copyright either - if anything, that comes under passing off. 

But I am sure you meant well

#10 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,033 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

it didn't come across like that. it came across as someone being a smart... Everything that is an original literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, a sound recording, a film or broadcast, or the typographical arrangement of a published edition has copyright, as well you know. Whether or not that will be enforced is the question.

I'm not sure what image rights have to do with copyright either - if anything, that comes under passing off. 

But I am sure you meant well

I can take a picture of anyone (in public) and flog it to a paper or magazine under editorial rights, i.e the picture is just used as part of a story, there isn't much that can be done about it (as long as I own the copyright to the image).

If I attach a brand in anyway to that image, then I am using someones image to endorse/promote that product. Then you get into image rights territory. Do that and you can be in for a big bill, even if done unintentionally.

I'm no expert but do know a bit about it, I'm sure one or two of the pro-photographers on here can flesh it up.

You even have to be careful about photographs of buildings etc.

#11 Yorkie44

Yorkie44
  • Coach
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

To be fair I don't think the owner is going to chase me down if I use it?! But to be on the safe side I'll just look at them and think what could have been. Although as zorquif says I could just buy it.

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,033 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

For anyone interested try reading this.

http://meronbareket....-images-demand/

#13 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

image rights, in the uk at any rate come under passing off. not copyright

#14 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,033 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

image rights, in the uk at any rate come under passing off. not copyright

I didn't say that, I said you are in image rights territory. 

#15 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

Copyright

#16 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,033 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

To be fair I don't think the owner is going to chase me down if I use it?! But to be on the safe side I'll just look at them and think what could have been. Although as zorquif says I could just buy it.

Who is going to produce the cover?

A company like Getty images would go for them, and that could implicate you.

These companies are getting very aggressive at chasing their money (read the blog I posted the link to earlier).

The company knocking out phone covers with bespoke pictures should really be checking who owns the photograph.

#17 Yorkie44

Yorkie44
  • Coach
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

So basically if a use a photo off internet it can't be used, unless a pay for it? And if I do I will be fined? I'm sure a few people get caught but there is many millions that don't surely? (Not that I am going to do it) any who I'll just use one of me playing.

I take it England RL badge is copyrighted / image righted?

#18 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Anything that falls above the definition above has copyright. They might give free licences and what not, but it's better off checking.

#19 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,033 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Copyright

I hadn't mentioned image rights then .

I said later you have to pay the photographer and then if you finish up endorsing a product you are liable to owe image rights payments. I didn't say that if you breach copyright you breach image rights.

#20 Yorkie44

Yorkie44
  • Coach
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

I was just going to do it with a well known supermarket but may not bother now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users