Golden Point

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

Never understand why they started with this with the present ecenomic climate and clubs going to the wall left right and centre. Surely you should have a replay. Our defeat to Fax in the final had it gone to a replay 7/8k would of been there. likewise our semi with Fax rail cup back at the Shat 3/4 k. Had this been replayed at Batley another big crowd extra income the teams and the game needs. Wakey beat Cas golden point the other year had there been a replay at Cas more money for 2 cash strapped clubs, Even the FA cup now allows for 1 replay only in rugby league

#2 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

Soft lad.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#3 bulldogs17

bulldogs17
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

Wouldn't the problem be that if there was a replay, the winning team would have a major disadvantage as they'd have to play on the Tuesday or Wednesday night and then have the Grand final on the Sunday where as in this instance Sheffield would have had since last Thursday to recover?

#4 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

Always a problem in Rugby League, you can't play two games a week like you can in soccer. A Golden Point situation can also be more exciting to a TV audience, although this game wasn't televised, but on the other hand it can lead to crowd trouble when a game finishes in such a way, and we have Batley fans to thank for not taunting the Fev supporters during their celebrations. It would be possible to have a replay for the final though, and a great money spinner, as the players won't have another game to play. I know that some will be away on holiday now, but if they knew about a possible replay next season they could plan around it.
If the semi's were played on a Thursday or Friday evening, then a replay on the Saturday or Sunday may be a possibility, or even on a Monday evening for a Sunday game at a push?
I noticed that 8 minutes was put on the clock for the start of extra time. Maybe it would be better to play another 8 minutes each way before going to a Golden Point? Not as dramatic, but I feel there would be less likelihood of crowd trouble. I dread to think what would have happened had it been Fev and Fax again!

#5 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

At the risk of opening a debate that should be left well alone....
Batley fans were terrific sunday and conducted themself in exemplary fashion. Gracious in Victory and despite defeating us, everyone I know still put batley right at the top of fans to mingle with.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#6 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

At the risk of opening a debate that should be left well alone....
Batley fans were terrific sunday and conducted themself in exemplary fashion. Gracious in Victory and despite defeating us, everyone I know still put batley right at the top of fans to mingle with.

agreed Robin

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

I remember Leigh and Warrington drawing 1-1 i't'Premiership back i't'eighties.  I believe the replay was Tuesday night.  Not great prep for the next round.

One problem peculiar to the play-offs is that next round is the following week, one of the games might be on Thursday and your opponent depends on last week's results.

If we'd drawn against Dewsbury and had to have a replay, Batley wouldn't have known whether they were at Halifax on Thursday or Fev on Sunday.

Minst you, I'm not reyt happy with golden point.  It can favour the team that receives the kick-off (although, having said that, these last two have gone 7 or 8 minutes so both teams had a fair go).

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#8 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

The problem isn't Golden Point....it's that after 4 years fev still don't have anyone that can drop a goal

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

#9 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

Always a problem in Rugby League, you can't play two games a week like you can in soccer. A Golden Point situation can also be more exciting to a TV audience, although this game wasn't televised, but on the other hand it can lead to crowd trouble when a game finishes in such a way, and we have Batley fans to thank for not taunting the Fev supporters during their celebrations. It would be possible to have a replay for the final though, and a great money spinner, as the players won't have another game to play. I know that some will be away on holiday now, but if they knew about a possible replay next season they could plan around it.
If the semi's were played on a Thursday or Friday evening, then a replay on the Saturday or Sunday may be a possibility, or even on a Monday evening for a Sunday game at a push?
I noticed that 8 minutes was put on the clock for the start of extra time. Maybe it would be better to play another 8 minutes each way before going to a Golden Point? Not as dramatic, but I feel there would be less likelihood of crowd trouble. I dread to think what would have happened had it been Fev and Fax again!

they play 2 games in 3 days at easter

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

they play 2 games in 3 days at easter

Yes, we drifted away from that for a year.  Now it's back.  And we're tagging another four games on to the season in 2015.

Madness.

#11 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

The problem isn't Golden Point....it's that after 4 years fev still don't have anyone that can drop a goal

Have you not seen the Cas match last April?
Or Batley last May?

By the way I was sat at the side on Sunday when Finny attempted a drop goal, the ball was just high enough, did it go wide by much? It actually looked over from the side.

#12 JCrabtree

JCrabtree
  • Coach
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

With a replay soon after, it could also lead to a dramatic finish due to people not wanting a disadvantage. If a team was did have to play again and suffered because of it they would have had the power to prevent it, with an initial win. I'm undecided on the idea but just a thought.

Regarding the lack of the drop goal kicker, I have full faith in Liam Finn. The issue is we don't have three.

Moore,Black,Flanagan or Finn
I know the team I'd like to charge down

#13 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

With a replay soon after, it could also lead to a dramatic finish due to people not wanting a disadvantage. If a team was did have to play again and suffered because of it they would have had the power to prevent it, with an initial win. I'm undecided on the idea but just a thought.

Regarding the lack of the drop goal kicker, I have full faith in Liam Finn. The issue is we don't have three.

Moore,Black,Flanagan or Finn
I know the team I'd like to charge down

If they're going full time next season, maybe it could be compulsory practice for everyone until we know who the best are, then they can work out strategies.

#14 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

Agree owd lad. We should never find ourselves in this position. Only ourselves to blame

#15 JCrabtree

JCrabtree
  • Coach
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

Two ties in play-off games, with a winner on aggregate? Income from two games, less likely to go to golden point and still can be dramatic

#16 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

Agree owd lad. We should never find ourselves in this position. Only ourselves to blame

If anything I think it's been down to what Andrew Vause called the Shankly approach. Over the past 4 years we've heard Daryl say "We won't worry about the opposition, we'll let them worry about us!" That has been fine in the league, but in the big cup matches the underdog raises his game.The underdog will also expect that if they win it will be tight, so they will rehearse things like drop goal strategy more than the outright favourites.

#17 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

Two ties in play-off games, with a winner on aggregate? Income from two games, less likely to go to golden point and still can be dramatic

Jeez - the play-offs will last longer than the league season.

#18 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

They would for batley!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users