Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

26/09/13 - SL Qual SF: Warrington Wolves v Huddersfield Giants KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

2. Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

3. Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

4. Huddersfield Giants by 1 to 6 points (5 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

5. Huddersfield Giants by 7 to 12 points (2 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

6. Huddersfield Giants by 13 points or more (2 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Discuss Warrington Wolves v Huddersfield Giants here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

Giants to break their hoodoo in the best possible way.

#3 7723

• Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

I hope Huddersfield win. Let's just hope it isn't a score like last Thursday.

#4 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

So long as it's in Huddersfields favour I wouldn't mind that ;)

The other way round is just passé

#5 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Really looking forward to this week's games, just not the references to last Thursday, which I fear will surface rather too often.

Think Wire will win this, but not quite in the manner of the cup tie earlier this season. Would prefer Hudds to get through but unless Brough and Robinson dominate then I can't see it happening, hope I'm wrong.

I know I'll probably get panned by Ant, etc., but I don't recall the Giants' halves performing too well when the pressure's on, only when it's a run of the mill game or a training session like last week. 

If they do both stand up to be counted, it could get very interesting.

Still..

Wire 28 Hudds 18.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#6 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

I am trying to think of reasons why this should be different from the other 3 matches, and am struggling a bit.

Maybe it's the Giants' "turn"?

They'll have to be close after half an hour to stand a chance, but Wire for mine all the way.

#7 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

Both these teams desperately want to win SL , as do all teams ,but 1954 and 1962 is a long time between drinks and wire are not getting any younger, that's why I am taking them to beat a nervous angry Huddersfield. Good luck to both teams Wire 22-Giants16

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#8 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

Really looking forward to this week's games, just not the references to last Thursday, which I fear will surface rather too often.

Think Wire will win this, but not quite in the manner of the cup tie earlier this season. Would prefer Hudds to get through but unless Brough and Robinson dominate then I can't see it happening, hope I'm wrong.

I know I'll probably get panned by Ant, etc., but I don't recall the Giants' halves performing too well when the pressure's on, only when it's a run of the mill game or a training session like last week. 

If they do both stand up to be counted, it could get very interesting.

Still..

Wire 28 Hudds 18.

This is a view shared by most fans, And with the Giants record against Wolves it's understandable, The only issue i have is , Brough very rarely goes missing, It's invariably the forwards who have gone missing against Warrington, and i don't care who your stand off is if he's behind a pack going backwards he will struggle to shine, It was evident against Wigan, their forwards got right on top and subsequently the rest of the team.

Wolves will be confident and who can blame them, but sooner or later we are going to beat them again, we have done it a couple of times, who knows, Hope It's a good game, win or lose we have had a good season. 

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#9 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

I suspect that Wire will deliver a knock-out blow to Huddersfield's chances of getting to the SL Grand Final. They'll punch holes all over the place until Huddersfield throw in the towel. They'll celebrate afterwards with a variety of cheap shots.

#10 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

Can't wait for this one. Too close to call. Be nice to see the league leaders actually win the gf

#11 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

I really want to see Huddersfield win this game and go on to win the Grand Final. However, I can't see past a Wigan vs Warrington final.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

My heart says Huddersfield, my head says Warrington.

Much is made of Tomkins last game at Wigan, this is also Mozzas last game at Warrington. Both of course could play one more game but its their last home games.

Robinson and Brough won't find all the space they had to operate in last week down at the HJ this week.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#13 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

Wires squad, Atkins,Bridge,Carvell,Cooper,Briers,Grix,Hill,Hodgson,Higham,Morley,Monaghan,Monaghan,Ratchford,Riley,Waterhouse,Westwood,Wood,

Myler,Harrison.

Full strength squad, some tough decisions to be made.

#14 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

Giants by 10

Hodgson to get bombed to death because no one ever does this and he isn't that good under a high ball under pressure (NRL matches he always ran with a winger) - the giants chase has been a match winner this year

Atkins to go missing, Briers to get shirty again, Myler the Wires best hope with Ratchfords broken play

Brough to shine, the Giants to actually front up in the forwards the first time this year v Wire - Morley run out of the paddock chasing shadows

Giants to pull away in the last 20 - said it before and will say it again, a tight match to the last 20, Giants every time, conditioned to peak now. Wire are just Wire, not progressed, not gone backwards, wont be enough. If they aren't 24 up after 20 minutes their games done.

Same as Wigan really. :ph34r:

#15 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

A lot of wishful thinking going on here, will Hodgson start?. The giants pack will have to be on top or Wire will overrun them again.

With monaghan showing form and higham the form hooker the pace around the ruck as always undoes giants.

Edited by ELBOWSEYE, 24 September 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#16 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Wires squad, Atkins,Bridge,Carvell,Cooper,Briers,Grix,Hill,Hodgson,Higham,Morley,Monaghan,Monaghan,Ratchford,Riley,Waterhouse,Westwood,Wood,

Myler,Harrison.

Full strength squad, some tough decisions to be made.

Hmmm.

FB     ??

LW    Riley

LC     Atkins

RC    ??

RW   Monaghan

SO    Briers

SH    ??

PF    Wood

HK    Higham

PF    Hill

SR    Westwood

SR    Waterhouse

LF    ??

IN    Monaghan

IN    Morley

IN    Carvell

IN    ??

Some tough choices for Smith, mainly surrounding Myler, I'm not sure he's the right choice for this game as he's been out for so long. If he doesn't get selected then Grix stays in the halves, if, however, he does play I'm not sure where Grix goes. I've a sneaky feeling Hodgson will miss out meaning Ratchford at full back, but he could play so does Ratchford play centre? I think Harrison plays LF, but Grix can also cover there. It's Grix's best trait but also his biggest weakness, can cover loads of positions but wouldn't be first choice in any!

#17 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

Whoever wins I would like the victorious side to go on and win the Grand Final. It would be nice to see a new name on the trophy. 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#18 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

I am trying to think of reasons why this should be different from the other 3 matches, and am struggling a bit.

Well, Wigan beat us four times during the regular rounds in 2011.  We then beat them twice, exactly the same score each time, to knock them out of the play offs.  We then went on to lose at the Grand Final, in our usual style against our usual opposition of course but play off games are a totally different beast to the league and anything can happen in a knock out game (plus any other cliche you can think of!).

I don't particularly mind who wins this one as neither team has won the grand final in yonks.  However, I guess if pushed I'd prefer Huddersfield to get through and if they do then I'd very much like them to win the grand final.

Edited by Saintslass, 24 September 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#19 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

I'd go for    1 Ratchford

2 Riley

3 Atkins

4 Bridge

5 Monaghan

6 Briers

7 myler      (if fully fit)

8 Hill

9 Higham

10 Wood

11 Waterhouse

12 Westwood

13 grix

Morley,carvell,monaghan,harrison

#20 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

I fancy the season will end for Huddersfield tomorrow night.  And that will be fine by be, as it's been a hell of a season.

Annoyingly I'm on another jolly in London, like a fortnight back, so won't be watching it.  Thursday night matches just don't work for me.

That's me.  I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users