Photo
- - - - -

29/09/13 - Championship Grand Final: Sheffield Eagles v Batley Bulldogs KO 4.30pm (Premier Sports)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Sheffield Eagles by 13 points or more (3 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

2. Sheffield Eagles by 7 to 12 points (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Sheffield Eagles by 1 to 6 points (1 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

4. Batley Bulldogs by 1 to 6 points (12 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

5. Batley Bulldogs by 7 to 12 points (4 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

6. Batley Bulldogs by 13 points or more (1 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

Discuss Sheffield Eagles v Batley Bulldogs here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,068 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

This could go either way with Eagles being slight favourites. Kear's record in finals though is very good. he seems to have he knack of motivating teams for a one off performance and raising their game to a level above their usual standard.

#3 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

the gallant youth by 2............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#4 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

It's got to be Batley by the GP, probably after being 20 - 0 down.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#5 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

Slightly nervous about this one. We seem to have got our mojo back and our record against Batley is excellent. Put together, this means we will lose. Hope I'm wrong, mind. Either way, it should be a cracking game!
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#6 thehullram

thehullram
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

Great to see these 2 in the final. Heard Batley have filled 11 coaches already. Hope the town gets behind them.

#7 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

I hope Sheffield win this one.  They have done so well in getting to the Northern Rail final, into the far flung reaches of the Challenge Cup (relative to other Championship teams), stayed at the top of the table for most of the season and now in the Grand Final.  They deserve at least one piece of silverware, having fallen just short in two attempts already.

I'm hoping to attend LSV to watch this and the Championship 1 match.

#8 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

Head says Eagles Heart says Bulldogs!

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#9 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:15 AM

Tough one to call.

I am a big admirer of both coaches - who, coincidentally, are both Cas lads. Good luck to both of them.

Gut feel says Batley to edge a game that will be more entertaining than the SL Grand Final.......

#10 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

got to be batleys turn to win,sheffield always seem to pull something out the bag and nick games in the last 10 over past games,

BUT the batley side this season seem a lot fitter and stronger in the last 15. maybe they save a bit am not sure but if were in close enough with 15 to go its ours.  COME ON THE DOGS.  24-20. would be great to win this but so long as its all left out on the field i aint too fussed.

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

Tough one to call.

I am a big admirer of both coaches - who, coincidentally, are both Cas lads.

Hey - maybe it's not a coincidence. ;)

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 StixRooster

StixRooster
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

We've had two great games after a dip. We looked very strong v Fax last week in the last quarter and Tubby has got them well fired up when I was talking int he office on Monday. We've also had three more days prep. That makes us favourites...

Chuck in the Kear factor though, nervous but excited about this one, didn't give us a prayer against Fev last year but we came up with the goods. More of the same please boys.

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

#13 League Express

League Express
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

Batley Bulldogs ready for Grand Final charge

By Liam Williams

Batley prop Byron Smith says the Bulldogs are happy to play the underdog role ahead of Sunday’s Kingstone Press Championship Grand Final against Sheffield Eagles at Leigh Sports Village (4.30pm).
The Bulldogs booked their place after a dramatic golden point win over Featherstone Rovers last week, but Smith says that doesn’t takes any pressure away from the team.
“I know we’re underdogs for the Grand Final but we’re there to win so there’s still pressure on us,” said Smith.
“I know a lot of people will be expecting Sheffield to come out on top but our expectations differ. If we don’t win we’ll come away massively disappointed.
“I’ve been here before as part of the squad that won the Grand Final with Castleford, but I think this will be bigger because we’re underdogs. We weren’t expected to get here, let alone win it, so it’ll be massive if we do.
“It’ll be huge for the club financially too because we’re run on a shoestring budget here. Getting there’s great, but to win it would be even better.”
Despite being unfancied by many, Batley became the only unbeaten side left in the play-offs with their win over Featherstone, but Smith does not think form will be a deciding factor.
“When you get to a final everyone’s really pumped up for it, and it’s often about who turns up on the day and who gets the rub of the green so it’s not as important as normal,” he said.
“That said, I think we’ve peaked at the right time. We had a slump during the season but if anything it’s benefitted us now. It sounds strange but it galvanised the team, and the Grand Final’s come at the right time for us.
“These close games have given us confidence. If it’s another tight game on Sunday, knowing that we’ve won two games via golden point will help.
“Obviously we weren’t in a good position last week against Featherstone, going 18-0 down within half an hour, but deep down we believed we could turn it around.
“We’d given cheap penalties away and we weren’t completing our sets, so we felt that if we sorted that out there was no reason why we couldn’t win. We got a try just before half-time and from that point we started to claw it back and that gave us the impetus to carry on and win.
“Having being underdogs in the last two games we’ll approach this one in the same way. Sheffield are a very good team, but if we play the way we have done throughout the play-offs there’s no reason we can’t win.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#14 League Express

League Express
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Aston to go head-to-head with mentor

Sheffield coach Mark Aston will face his former mentor John Kear when the Eagles face Batley Bulldogs in the Kingstone Press Championship Grand Final at Leigh Sports Village on Sunday (4.30pm).
The two men worked side-by-side at Sheffield in the 1990s, most notably in 1998 when Kear coached an Eagles team featuring Aston to victory over Wigan in the Challenge Cup final at Wembley.
On Sunday, the Bulldogs stand in the way of Sheffield becoming the first club to win back-to-back Championship Grand Finals and Aston will be hoping to get the better of opponents who are bidding to become the first side to win the Grand Final from outside the top four.
“It’s definitely a positive for Batley to have John Kear in charge,” said Aston. “In 1998, when we won the Challenge Cup, he managed to get us all as a squad in a really good place and we won the competition.
“Batley have been outstanding this season and John has definitely played a big part in that. They are a good team, in a good place so Sunday will be a fascinating game. We’re just pleased to be in the final.
“We won last year and now we’re looking to become the first side to win the final in back-to-back seasons which brings a certain pressure.
“Of course our experience from finals in the last couple of years will help but it will all come down to it on the day and we’ll have to perform at our best.”
Whilst Kear played a formative role in his career and has been a major influence, Aston believes he has developed his own style of coaching.
“You take a little bit of everything from all the coaches you have played and worked under,” he said.
“I would be lying if I said that I haven’t taken anything from John, but you’ve got to figure how to do things your own way as a coach.
“If you want the best out of your players then you have to know what makes them tick and hopefully I’ll manage to get my squad in the right frame of mind for the game on Sunday.”

On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.

#15 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

C'mooooon Bat er Lee!!!!
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#16 League Express

League Express
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

Sheffield Eagles look to make history

By Liam Williams

Sheffield Eagles are just 80 minutes away from making history as they bid to become the first team to win consecutive Kingstone Press Championship Grand Finals against Batley Bulldogs at Leigh Sports Village on Sunday (4:30pm).
The Eagles are going into the game as favourites, but second row Michael Knowles, who won the Tom Bergin Trophy as man of the match in last year’s final, says Sheffield will not be taking Batley lightly.
“I wouldn’t say there’s extra pressure on us because we’re not looking at ourselves as favourites,” said Knowles.
“If you look at the results of the two teams, Batley are coming into the game with better form, so we won’t be taking them lightly.
“Form certainly counts for something. It always helps if you can be going into these games with confidence and we are, especially on the back of a great result against Halifax but this is a one-off match.
“We’ll both be raising our game, but it tends to come down to who plays best over the 80 minutes.
“We’ve beaten them both times this season, so you can say that it gives us a bit of a boost mentally, but when you look at the score for both games there wasn’t much in it and we’re expecting another tight game on Sunday.”
This will be Sheffield’s third consecutive Grand Final appearance whereas the Bulldogs are playing in their first, and Knowles says the side will be looking to use that experience to get the better of their West Yorkshire opponents.
“We’ve got some big players who’ve played in these big games, and it’s nice to have that experience on your side, to have people who’ve been there and done it before,” he said.
“The mood’s great at the moment. We’ve got that feeling back from the start of the season that something special is happening within the club.
“It’ll mean loads to us to win. Everyone knows the history of this club, so it’d be fantastic to win two on the bounce which no one’s ever done before.
“It would be a great reward for Mark Aston too, who played a massive part in rebuilding the club, so hopefully we can do what we did last season and win it again and celebrate another success.”

#17 League Express

League Express
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

Sunday September 29

Kingstone Press Championship Grand Final

Sheffield Eagles v Batley Bulldogs (4.30pm, Premier Sports)

Liam Higgins (knee) is a major doubt for Sheffield Eagles coach Mark Aston as the club prepares for its third successive Kingstone Press Championship Grand Final.
The Eagles will start as favourites on Sunday, but Aston is refusing to write off a Batley Bulldogs team coached by his former mentor John Kear.
Kear was in charge of Sheffield when they won the Challenge Cup in 1998 and Aston claimed the Lance Todd Trophy.
Aston said: “Their result (last week against Featherstone) shows the character of that group of people, and the desire and will they have.
“They were losing 18-0, so to pull that back against Featherstone at their place is a pretty remarkable effort.
“I’m really pleased for John and for Batley – they’ve worked hard for the last so many years without a lot of credit.”
Bulldogs coach Kear must select a squad without Jacob Fairbank, who suffered a shoulder injury last week.
But Anthony Mullally and Josh Johnson will both be available for Batley.
Kear said: “We have a thing about ‘Bulldog spirit’ and we showed that last week.”
He added: “Facing Sheffield, you couldn’t have written it better for me. I’m really looking forward to it.
“We’ll turn up and have a go. All the lads will put their hand up and work hard; they’re a good group of people.”

#18 League Express

League Express
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

Kear ready for Sheffield showdown

By Joe Smith

Batley coach John Kear has praised his opposite number Mark Aston ahead of Sunday’s Kingstone Press Championship Grand Final between the Bulldogs and Sheffield Eagles at Leigh Sports Village (4.30pm).
Aston was part of the Sheffield side coached by Kear which won the Challenge Cup in 1998, a game in which Aston was named man-of-the-match, but Kear will be hoping his old protégé isn’t celebrating on Sunday.
“I know Mark really well,” said Kear. “I was lucky enough to coach him when he won the Lance Todd Trophy.
“He was a very clever player and he has managed to transfer that smartness from the playing field to his coaching and Sheffield have got to be acknowledged as the stellar team of the Championship this season.
“They got to the final of the Northern Rail Cup and the quarter-final of the Tetley’s Challenge Cup, as well as finishing second in the table but we’re confident we can come out on top this weekend.”
Batley are looking to become the first team to win the final after finishing outside the top four in the Championship, whilst Sheffield are looking to create history of their own by winning back-to-back titles.
“There’s always a first for everything,” he said. “Last year Sheffield became the first team to win the final from outside the top three, and now they’re looking to become the first to win back-to-back finals.
“There has to be a first time for everything. It’s these games which represent the culmination of a year’s work.
“You’ve just got to live in the moment and enjoy the game. At training for us it will be a case of getting our heads down and back to work.
“We’re happy because there’s a massive interest in the game in Batley. We took a big following to Featherstone and we want lots of interest from lots of people for this game.
“It would be great to get a big crowd in there and to get a lot of neutrals in. It is a great afternoon and you get to see three good games representing three different levels of Rugby League.”

#19 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:47 AM

Hey - maybe it's not a coincidence. ;)

Careful.... I know you can take the the boy out of Cas but you..... and all that!!

I just think their enthusiasm is great and it affects people around them in a positive way

#20 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

Good luck to the Eagles. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users