Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

29/09/13 - Championship One Play-off Final: Rochdale Hornets v Oldham KO 2pm (Premier Sports)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Rochdale Hornets by 13 points or more (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

2. Rochdale Hornets by 7 to 12 points (5 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

3. Rochdale Hornets by 1 to 6 points (5 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

4. Oldham by 1 to 6 points (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. Oldham by 7 to 12 points (6 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

6. Oldham by 13 points or more (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

Discuss Rochdale Hornets v Oldham here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

Crook relishing derby final

By Joe Smith

Rochdale Hornets half-back Paul Crook is relishing the chance to play local rivals Oldham in the Kingstone Press Championship One Play-off Final at Leigh Sports Village on Sunday (2.00pm).
Crook landed a last-minute drop-goal to give the Hornets victory over Oldham when the sides met in a play-off encounter on September 15 and he’s expecting another tough contest when they meet again in Sunday’s competition finale .
“It’s fantastic that we’re playing Oldham, it will mean that both teams will raise their games and with it being against our local rivals, it’ll definitely add something to the final,” said Crook.
“It’s a final and both teams will be going all out to get that promotion which is at stake and that promises for a great game and I’m sure the fans will really get behind the team.
“We have stuck to our targets all season. We had a game plan against Oldham in the first match and we will probably use a game plan again at the weekend. As long as we can get on top of their forwards we have a good chance.”
Crook was quick to praise the impact of Rochdale coach Ian Talbot, after the manager had to bring in a plethora of new faces in the close season and Crook says everybody is now targeting the same thing.
“I’ve been here for four years but at the start of the season we had basically an entirely new team. Ian Talbot has made some fantastic signings and we’ve managed to build a side again,” he said.
“I think there’s the perfect blend of old and young players and Ian has done really well to get everybody to gel so quickly.
“Everyone at the club has one goal in mind, that’s promotion to the Championship, and we’ll be going all out to ensure we get that this weekend.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#3 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

This match should be a humdinger, if both teams play to their potential.  After Oldham's many grand final disappointments I suppose I would like to see them finally win a grand final!  Having suffered repeated defeats in these matches at Superleague level I can sympathise with their fans and so I think I will be supporting the Roughyeds at the LSV on Sunday!

#4 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

TLCRF80mins - the Hornets Fanblog - is running a series of preview articles every day this week: 'The Final Countdown" http://theseladscanr...blogspot.co.uk/

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#5 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Oldham star relishing a ‘feisty’ derby final

Oldham full-back Richard Lepori is predicting a “feisty” Kingstone Press Championship One play-off final when his side take on local rivals Rochdale Hornets for a place in the Kingstone Press Championship at Leigh Sports Village on Sunday (2.00pm).
Oldham were beaten 23-22 in a tense play-off tie by the Hornets two weeks ago but earned a re-match by defeating London Skolars 64-8 on Sunday.
“The fans are really up for it, it’s the game that they all wanted,” said Lepori, who made his comeback from injury in the win against Skolars. “It’s going to be feisty, there will be a lot of passion and it’s a massive game.
“For the neutral, it’s the game you would want to see in the final because every match between us and Rochdale has been close this year.
“It’s going to be tough. We’ve played against them four or five times in all competitions this season. They are beating us 2-1 in the league this year so it is a chance to put the record straight.”
This season represents Oldham’s most successful in recent years, with their highest league finish at Championship One level since their relegation to the division seven years ago.
Leopri thinks that the momentum gained from the win over London could help Oldham in the final against Rochdale, as the club look to bounce back to the second tier of Rugby League.  
“The game against London went really well, it was good to get the result in the way we did,” he said.
“We’ve got momentum now and confidence in the camp is high. As long as we play like we did on Sunday, against London, then we are confident we can go to Leigh and get the win.
“We’ve got to keep our feet on the ground now. It doesn’t matter how good we were against London, now we’ve just got to concentrate on another 80 minutes.
“Our target is obviously to win though we have to try and concentrate on ourselves, and try to do what we do best by playing our way.
“It’s a chance to go up to the Championship. Everyone wants to be in there. Teams like Halifax, Sheffield and Featherstone play in that division and we want to be there.
“A club like Oldham, with the history it has and the support it gets, should really be in the Championship, playing at that level.”

On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.

#6 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Sunday September 29

Kingstone Press Championship One Play-Off Final

Rochdale Hornets v Oldham (2.00pm, Premier Sports)

Rochdale Hornets coach Ian Talbot insist it would be a ‘fairytale’ if his side win on Sunday and secure promotion to the Kingstone Press Championship.
Talbot said: “We've been through a lot of adversity this season. There were times when I was questioning what I was doing, and quite a lot of this squad were playing amateur rugby last season.
“They've got better and better as the season's gone on, and wouldn't it be a fairytale if Rochdale were to get promoted?”
Hornets will end a 22-year wait for a major final appearance when they face their local rivals Oldham in Sunday’s showdown.
Talbot, who has a fully fit squad to select from, added: “Our last two games have been bruising encounters where we’ve come up with last-minute plays to win.
“That bodes well for us, because we know if we have another tight game we can come out on top.
“The lads have already shown they’ve got the determination. Play-off games are renowned for being tight affairs and our boys have been through that a couple of times already.”
Oldham coach Scott Naylor could name an unchanged team from the side that hammered London Skolars last week.
Naylor said: “We won’t be killing ourselves in training this week. The emphasis will be on staying calm and relaxed. There will be no break in routine.
“We don’t need to do anything differently. We’re getting ready for a game of rugby, just like we have done all season.
“Come Sunday we’ll be relaxed, but we’ll also be ready. That’s the key.”

#7 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hornets coach aiming for fairytale ending

Rochdale Hornets coach Ian Talbot is dreaming of a fairytale ending to the 2013 season with victory in the 2013 Kingstone Press Championship One Play-off Final at Leigh Sports Village on Sunday (2.00pm).
Rochdale and Oldham have already met in the play-offs, with the Hornets triumphing thanks to a last-minute drop-goal from Paul Crook, but they will have to beat their local rivals once again to clinch promotion – and their first silverware in almost a century.
“To win promotions would be a fairy tale ending to the season,” said Talbot. “Obviously there’s a lot of competition between the two clubs but it’s been a long time since Rochdale won a trophy, over 90 years, so it would be fantastic for us to change that.
“Rochdale are sleeping giants in Rugby League. The fans deserve success and there are a lot of people who have been working hard behind the scenes at Rochdale who deserve it as well.
“But we are not taking anything for granted. We know that we will have to be at our best to be in with a chance of winning the game.
“We also know that they are a good side but both teams are looking towards that much-coveted promotion.”
Rochdale have been climbing the Kingstone Press Championship One table gradually over the last few years but Talbot, who joined the club for the 2013 campaign, was forced to bring in a host of new faces in the off-season which brought its own challenges.
“We always knew that, if we played to our potential, promotion was a realistic aim,” he said. “We have definitely gelled as a team very quickly.
“In the off season I was behind in terms of recruitment at one point, and that’s just testament to the players who have come in and the hard work they have put in to gel quickly.
“Towards the end of the season we really started to get that consistency. We had a slight blip in the middle of the season and at one point I had 10 players out through injury, but we had to keep going, knowing that we would come good in the end.”

#8 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hoping for a Hornets win tomorrow. Enjoy it, Hornetto!

Edited by Mistress_Marlowe, 28 September 2013 - 07:08 AM.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#9 Roughyhead true

Roughyhead true
  • Facebook
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

Mr saints fan, you can't compare what has happened to Oldham and saints. I cant face another broken heart.

#10 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Anyone know whether this game is on the radio?

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#11 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

Very tight contest so far! That Lepori looks a good player

#12 3feathers

3feathers
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Sat here watching on premier (with an empty bottle of wine)- top match! Really good game, well done to both teams. I do think Oldhams 2nd try was forward, but hey "them's the breaks".  I look forward to a day out, at which ever team joins the Cru next year. Come on "Rocham"?

#13 3feathers

3feathers
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

How come Rochdale get such a good cup, when all us Crusaders got was a yogurt pot?   :)      Well done Rochdale, you deserved to win on the day, but Oldham you deserved to win on the season. Good luck for next year Oldham. See you soon Rochdale (can't wait).

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Mr saints fan, you can't compare what has happened to Oldham and saints. I cant face another broken heart.

So sorry.  So very sorry!  I went to the LSV and was cheering for Oldham but maybe I should have stayed home or cheered for Rochdale as I was probably a bad luck omen.  What Oldham need to do is get promotion from winning the league.  That way they won't have to face yet another grand final.  Wish Saints could have won the SL championship that way as we had little problem getting to the top but five consecutive problems at Old Trafford!

It was a really good match to watch and what a terrific job Kingstone Press and LSV did to create a fun and enjoyable atmosphere.  Pretty decent turnout too by fans it has to be said. 

#15 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Thoroughly entertaining match. Rochdale deserved it as they clearly had worked on a game plan to play on Oldham's weaknesses and stuck to it

#16 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Well done Rochdale :))

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#17 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:41 PM

we've lost 6 grand finals in 12 years.....shocking record :(

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#18 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:01 AM

Two of the original teams who broke away from the RFU who have fallen on hard times and both are fighting back even from this league of death and I congratulate Hornets on their promotion  but never ever have I seen such hard luck losers as Oldham. Not only the five grand final losses  but since I have been following the game they must have lost five cup semi finals including the thrice played semi against Hull KR when they were actually winning 17 to 13 when bad light and no floodlights stopped play. They must truly be snake bit. If they win promotion next year no one could begrudge them.Certainly not me. 

#19 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

since the mid 80's we've lost 4 challenge cup semi's,a lancashire cup final,1 championship grand final which would have put us back in super league and 5 championship 1 grand finals...

we're jinxed

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#20 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

Sorry for Oldham- great turnout from their fans- just a pity they all left after their match and didn't stay on for Batley- Sheffield- missed a great game!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users