warrington mccarthy williams mendeika

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Wireagle

Wireagle
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

Warrington announced today that Tyrone McCarthy and Rhys Wiiliams are to leave the club, with no destinations if any, declared. For me McCarthy will be a big loss and I've a sense that the club has under-valued his potential. They've also released James Mendeika, who was given a squad place after a stellar Academy career but was given no starts this season. Both are local lads. If players of this quality get lost to the game, surely that's a reflection of how having no older than twenty "second team" set up is going to waste talent here. Any thoughts?

#2 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

Agree with you about McCarthy. I thought he was excellent throughout last season and have been surprised how little he has featured - but then Currie and more recently Harrison have been great in a position where we have a lot of strength. He'll do well for another SL team, no doubt at all.

Williams hasn't shown the game to match his speed and physique sadly. He's a very decent player, but his release makes me think there's another winger coming in - perhaps Ben Jones-Bishop if the rumours are to be believed.

Btth players are certainly to be thanked for their efforts.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#3 Wireagle

Wireagle
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

Can't believe we've released Williams on the grounds of Kevin Penny coming back, so maybe there is someone else coming in?

#4 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

IF London make it to the starting gate next year they could do a lot worse than getting these two on board.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#5 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

McCarthy may be off to Australia.

Edited by getdownmonkeyman, 24 September 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

McCarthy in particular could do a good job at plenty of SL clubs.

In the forwards we have now lost Morley, Carvell, Cooper and McCarthy. Asotasi in. Our forwatds squad is weaker as it stands. Will be interesting to see if any others come in.

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,782 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

I'd have Rhys Williams at the Bulls like a shot, and play him at centre.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

Warrington announced today that Tyrone McCarthy and Rhys Wiiliams are to leave the club, with no destinations if any, declared. For me McCarthy will be a big loss and I've a sense that the club has under-valued his potential. They've also released James Mendeika, who was given a squad place after a stellar Academy career but was given no starts this season. Both are local lads. If players of this quality get lost to the game, surely that's a reflection of how having no older than twenty "second team" set up is going to waste talent here. Any thoughts?

If they are good enough, they will get a gig at another SL club. Tony Smith seems to know what he is doing, so if he's not keeping them, I suspect he thinks he's got people better to fill the first team slots when they become available.

#9 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

In the forwards we have now lost Morley, Carvell, Cooper and McCarthy. Asotasi in. Our forwatds squad is weaker as it stands. Will be interesting to see if any others come in.

We now start with Hill and Wood who are pretty mobile for props, it wouldn't surprise me if we went down that route next year. Maybe Westwood/Harrison will move to the front row?

Is Currie injured?

#10 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:13 AM

Wouldn't be surprised to see them both end up at Cas, with Powell reshaping his squad for next season

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#11 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:47 AM

Nothing wrong with dropping down a divison to kick start their careers like Alex brown, Kevin penny, Greg Johnson etc.

Edited by walter sobchak, 25 September 2013 - 04:05 AM.

#12 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

I don't think McCarthy needs to, he will get into most squads in super league

#13 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

With regards to back rower McCarthy being released, Warrington also have James Laithwaite who is a really good player. He had a couple of injuries this season but he will be looking to kick on next year.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#14 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

Looks like Ben Evans will be coming back to Bradford again, as well.
People called Romans they go the house

#15 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Brett Hodgson added to Wire exit list

#16 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

Both would do a job for some SL clubs, especially if they have good World Cups as well.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#17 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

We now start with Hill and Wood who are pretty mobile for props, it wouldn't surprise me if we went down that route next year. Maybe Westwood/Harrison will move to the front row?

Is Currie injured?

Currie was poorly and lost over 20lbs.

#18 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

Just seen that Brett Hodgson will definitely leave at the end of this season too. Wow.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#19 Wireagle

Wireagle
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

I seem to remember one of Hodgson's jobs on coming was to be to mentor Rhys Williams into the full back role. If Ratchford takes that role now as would seem likely, with Williams going the combined half back / centre cover looks a bit stretched now. Means keeping Grix fit becomes more important. Can't see Riley moving to FB, so you have to think we'll be looking at a substantial back line signing.

#20 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

Just seen that Brett Hodgson will definitely leave at the end of this season too. Wow.

He's been a joy to watch. When I heard we'd let Mathers go and brought him in, I was sceptical, but I've been proved comprehensively wrong. He looks like he's going to get broken every time he hits the line, but somehow carries on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: warrington, mccarthy, williams, mendeika

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users