Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gareth Ellis announces international retirement

England Ellis RLWC

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 brooza

brooza
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

Retired with immediate effect.

I think he got the heads up that he wasn't going to be in the squad...

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#2 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

Been a terrific player but I'm glad this decision has been taken as I think we have better options. Could also be of huge benefit to Hull next season in a JP kind of way

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#3 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

Good decision for Ellis and for England I think. I don't think his performances this year put him in the top 10 English second rowers, but he's had a great career and has been a brilliant player.

#4 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

I think he got the heads up that he wasn't going to be in the squad...

Exactly what I was thinking.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#5 7723

• Coach
  • 550 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

Has been a fantastic player for England and Great Britain but on this seasons form he probably wasn't going to be selected anyway.

#6 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Congrats to Gareth Ellis on a fantastic career. He still has a bit left in him as well...!!

#7 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

He hasn't suddenly become a bad player and I agree he probably wouldn't have been selected for the WC,but a good rest in off seasons will do him good and extend his career.Good on yer Gaz
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#8 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,056 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hasn't looked the player of old at Hull this season,maybe the off season rest will revitalise him.A fantastic player on the international stage,always gave 100%.

Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#9 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hopefully, Peacock will unretire now.

#10 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,056 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Hopefully, Peacock will unretire now.

Part of the BBC team for the World Cup

#11 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Part of the BBC team for the World Cup

Even dafter than when they let the Maori take part, if you ask me.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#12 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Ellis announces international retirement

England player Gareth Ellis has today announced his retirement from international Rugby League with immediate effect, ruling himself out of selection for Rugby League World Cup 2013.
The 32-year-old second row has reached his decision following consultation with England coach Steve McNamara and officials at Hull FC, the club he captained to the Tetley’s Challenge Cup final and Super League play-offs this summer.
Ellis, who joined Hull FC at the end of last season following a successful four-year spell with Wests Tigers in the NRL, had been a contender for England selection this autumn but has opted to concentrate on his club career.
“It’s no secret that I’m heading towards the latter part of my career and after picking up untimely knocks over the last couple of years, I feel it is time for me to focus on my club,” said Ellis, who has played 22 games for England, as well as 17 caps for Great Britain.
“It will allow me more time to rest up and recover before taking part in a full pre-season, something I haven't done since 2002 ,and hit the ground running in 2014.
“It’s been something I've been thinking about for a long time and it's been a very tough call to make as I was always very proud to represent England and it will be extremely disappointing to miss the World Cup.
“I feel this could be the strongest England team for some years, but after 12 years I’ve had my opportunities on the international scene and I want to focus on a big year for Hull FC.
“We made it to Wembley this year which was a great achievement, but I want to be there again next year and the year after. I want to be able to play my part for the club week in and week out, and make a contribution to help us achieve things and I feel the best way for me to do that now is to retire from international rugby.
He added, “Steve [McNamara] was very understanding when I spoke to him regarding my decision and I would like to wish him and the team the very best of luck ahead of the upcoming tournament.
“I will certainly be supporting the boys from the stands and I hope to see as many Hull FC fans there getting behind England throughout the tournament.”
England coach Steve McNamara said: “Gareth has made a massive contribution to England, both on and off the field, where his attitude was never anything other than totally professional.
“The standards of his performances with Wests Tigers demonstrated that England players are among the best in the world and though he has had a difficult season with injury I have no doubts that he has lots to offer Hull FC in the years to come.
“We fully understand the reasons behind his decision and wish him all the very best for the future.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#13 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hopefully this opens the door for Kirmond to wear the 11 shirt with Westwood number 12.

He's been a quality player Gareth, but he has been off form this season. If McNamara has advised him of the decision then credit to him for not picking on reputation.

#14 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

Boom boom!

#15 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Been a class player for a long time but form hasnt been good enough for wc. Stil has loads to offer at hull. Think itl b westwood and hock at 2nd row. Ferris and farrell defo in the wc squad. As read tht mcbanana has tild kirmond he isnt in his thinking.

#16 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Think Ellis might have made the squad but would probably have been a fringe player, so this is a good decision. Be good to see him go full steam for Hull next season.

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

Very poor indeed.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 26 September 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#18 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,056 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

I wasn't.

#19 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

Shame its only England he retired from.
Not one good game all season not one clean bust all season
Not a patch on willie manu or danny tickle or richard whiting.
In my opinion the reason Hull had such a bad season was he was made captain and upset the squad

#20 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

Shame its only England he retired from.
Not one good game all season not one clean bust all season
Not a patch on willie manu or danny tickle or richard whiting.
In my opinion the reason Hull had such a bad season was he was made captain and upset the squad

couldnt agree more, said when he signed-waste of money crocked former great looking for 1 last pay day. shame

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users