Radio Manchester

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

The RL show tonight was plugging the world cup, some interesting idea and thoughts

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,683 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

any more info RW?

#3 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

you should be able to hear it again. They had someone called Sally talking about he future promotion of the games, how the various locations bid for games rather than approaching towns etc. Think the Burgess brothers and Mum will be used to sell the game outside the usual areas.

Munster very keen to take the Irish game, Warrington adopting Samoa, David Solomona links etc.

#4 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

you should be able to hear it again. They had someone called Sally talking about he future promotion of the games, how the various locations bid for games rather than approaching towns etc. Think the Burgess brothers and Mum will be used to sell the game outside the usual areas.

Munster very keen to take the Irish game, Warrington adopting Samoa, David Solomona links etc.

Was it Sally Bolton?  If so, she's the head of the world cup team.

#5 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

Was it Sally Bolton?  If so, she's the head of the world cup team.

It was Sally Bolton.

#6 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,839 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

Not a particularly informative thread, but certainly in the olden days the Radio Manchester RL coverage used to get big audiences. I don't know if that's still the case.

But I hope so. When I look down my fixture list for the World Cup, it's the 'heartlands' crowds that worry me.

Hull? St Helens? Leeds? Warrington?

These are the games that should be full to bursting, but I don't see it somehow. I wonder whether 'heartlands' fans aren't the hardest sell. Miserable buggers.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,273 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

Not a particularly informative thread, but certainly in the olden days the Radio Manchester RL coverage used to get big audiences. I don't know if that's still the case.

But I hope so. When I look down my fixture list for the World Cup, it's the 'heartlands' crowds that worry me.

These are the games that should be full to bursting, but I don't see it somehow. I wonder whether 'heartlands' fans aren't the hardest sell. Miserable buggers.

The track record at some of those clubs isn't great.

In Wigan there have already been several World Cup events raising awareness, There are adverts on the sides of buses for the Tonga v Cooke Islands game at LSV, the council website, including council intranet, run regular World Cup related features, the Museum is about to start its second RL related exhibition this year to tie in with the WC.

They have had Tony Collins giving a talk on the RL World Cup and also the Tony Collins playlette performed by school children about the Great Split in the Reference Library. I believe it will be performed again a week on Saturday (5th Oct).

The promises made to secure the quarter final at the DW and game at LSV seem to be being fulfilled, I think the town has a few more publicity campaigns up its sleeve yet.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#8 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

All those locations you mention made the playoffs and wigan and Hull made the Cup Final. Money for the World Cup tickets might not have been so available to the fans because of this.

Hopefully, as the various teams fall by the wayside, and Saints currently and either Wigan or Leeds will follow suit this weekend, more of the fans in those towns might turn their attention and funds towards the World Cup games. I hope so.

#9 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

Not a particularly informative thread, but certainly in the olden days the Radio Manchester RL coverage used to get big audiences. I don't know if that's still the case.But I hope so. When I look down my fixture list for the World Cup, it's the 'heartlands' crowds that worry me.Hull? St Helens? Leeds? Warrington?These are the games that should be full to bursting, but I don't see it somehow. I wonder whether 'heartlands' fans aren't the hardest sell. Miserable buggers.

I'd agree with that. Think fans in those areas are planning to just walk up on the day. It's what people are used to in rugby league. It will be a major break through if this World Cup can help to change that culture. To start to put some "value" in having a ticket for a rugby league match outside the cup final or Grand Final.

#10 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

I'd agree with that. Think fans in those areas are planning to just walk up on the day. It's what people are used to in rugby league. It will be a major break through if this World Cup can help to change that culture. To start to put some "value" in having a ticket for a rugby league match outside the cup final or Grand Final.

But is anyone going to equate a major tournament with the league? 

#11 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

To give you an idea as to Saints' attitude, I asked if they were running any coaches to any of the world cup venues and they said no but their travel sponsors are (ie expensive weekend packages only).  Saints never do anything to promote the international game and by the looks of it so far nor do the Council.  They didn't even bid for a quarter final because of 'the cuts' (although that didn't stop them putting in a bid for the local shopping centre, which would have cost far more than a quarter final!).  Saints probably think that the Aussies playing at LP will sell itself but there is another game on that day which involves England and so that cannot be guaranteed. 

#12 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

It would be interesting to know what was in the deal that the various local authorities signed up for having bid to host a match or a team. Some local authorities have put up signs to advertise their matches. Leeds have had various things, including a banner at the tourist office in the train station for the best part of a year! I've seen signs on the side of roads or roundabouts in both Calderdale & Kirklees.

Was looking for some information about matches in Hull yesterday and must admit that there was little recent information on the council website about the World Cup. I wonder whether a couple of the local authorities in traditional areas are rather too representative of their electorate and take the same half-hearted attitude to the World Cup.

#13 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

It would be interesting to know what was in the deal that the various local authorities signed up for having bid to host a match or a team. Some local authorities have put up signs to advertise their matches. Leeds have had various things, including a banner at the tourist office in the train station for the best part of a year! I've seen signs on the side of roads or roundabouts in both Calderdale & Kirklees.

Was looking for some information about matches in Hull yesterday and must admit that there was little recent information on the council website about the World Cup. I wonder whether a couple of the local authorities in traditional areas are rather too representative of their electorate and take the same half-hearted attitude to the World Cup.

Why would one be surprised by RLWC not being a priority for any local authority.   Of course they would have backed a bid to get a slice of the action but why would any organisation put trust even the keenest and most well meaning of local authority... they are not full of top marketing people.

At the end of the day its the clubs as well as Sally Boltons team that should be breaking a gut to promote. I think Sally Bolton/RLWC organisers ae doing a good job but I am not convinced the clubs are breaking every sinew to promote the world cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users