Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How many tries are now off kicks...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

id say over 50%, we seem to be heading for a hybrid union game at times. Teams seem clueless to open a defence without a kick, tbh its getting a bit boring and the rules need changing, agree or not ?

Posted Image

#2 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

Are defences getting so good that it's getting so hard to score without the kick at the end? I do agree though it's a lot less exciting when nearly all tries come from a kick on the last

#3 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

Rules changed? To what? You can't kick the ball anymore? picard-facepalm.jpg

It's time to park the camels.

#4 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

Disagree king my friend. The kicks we see in league that lead to tries take a massive amount of skill to perfect and execute. The kicks in union 9 times out of ten are just big territory boots or clearing kicks to touch... you dont really see attacking kicks leading to tries in union! I think the attacking kicks we see in league are an exciting part of the modern game. You have a lot to learn king :-) you cant teach an old dog new tricks!!@

#5 Penola

Penola
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

Anyone for a Wolford up down left right dummy on the last or a Kingy dart over the line?

#6 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

Although we didn't see an occurrence tonight, I find tries resultant from high 'kicks to the corner' immensely tedious.

Posted Image

#7 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

its aerial ping pong at times and we,ll end up like basketball with everyone about 6ft 7in, i tell you one rule id change anyone who hoofs the ball downfield dead from inside their own half should hand possesion over from where they kicked it and not have a 25 yd tap out as is what happens now.

Posted Image

#8 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

Disagree king my friend. The kicks we see in league that lead to tries take a massive amount of skill to perfect and execute. The kicks in union 9 times out of ten are just big territory boots or clearing kicks to touch... you dont really see attacking kicks leading to tries in union! I think the attacking kicks we see in league are an exciting part of the modern game. You have a lot to learn king :-) you cant teach an old dog new tricks!!@

you stick to sailing and messing about on yachts young man...

Posted Image

#9 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

Anyone for a Wolford up down left right dummy on the last or a Kingy dart over the line?

ball handlers like Wolford never resorted to hoofing it up in the air mate did he, a great player.

Posted Image

#10 HUNSLET72

HUNSLET72
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

... Great days ! For me THE BEST 2 EVER to Wear an Hunslet Shirt ....ABSOLUTE CLASS !!!!?

#11 Mrbus

Mrbus
  • Coach
  • 780 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

ball handlers like Wolford never resorted to hoofing it up in the air mate did he, a great player.

They also played again p*ss poor defences tbh

#12 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

thats a fair comment but players like Wolford played in worse conditions in winter, had heavier kit, worse boots, less protection from refs from headhunters and had day jobs some of them down pit !

Posted Image

#13 HUNSLET72

HUNSLET72
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:33 AM

..aye ###### poor defence ,away @ Cardiff , when Kingy got his jaw broke ? SHAME ON YOU Mrbus !!!!

#14 HUNSLET72

HUNSLET72
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

...Mrbus comes on here and has the Nerve to question The FINEST Player Ever to play for Hunslet. I Expect this "Extremely SPECIAL Mrbus" to Appologise to All on this Hunslet forum.....

#15 Moose

Moose
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

...Mrbus comes on here and has the Nerve to question The FINEST Player Ever to play for Hunslet. I Expect this "Extremely SPECIAL Mrbus" to Appologise to All on this Hunslet forum.....

I think you need to read up on your Hunslet RL history..

He may have been in your opinion the finest Hunslet payers you ever saw play but history. International appearances and trophies won suggest otherwise. Here's a few which are well in front of your two in the pecking order.

Albert Goldthorpe, Jack Walkington, Fred Smith, Brian Gabbitas, Brian Shaw and Alf Burnell.

#16 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

I think you need to read up on your Hunslet RL history..

He may have been in your opinion the finest Hunslet payers you ever saw play but history. International appearances and trophies won suggest otherwise. Here's a few which are well in front of your two in the pecking order.

Albert Goldthorpe, Jack Walkington, Fred Smith, Brian Gabbitas, Brian Shaw and Alf Burnell.

You can't compare players from different ere's , played under different rules , protein , kits , kicking tee's ect , and if kingy had have gone to a top club he would have won more caps and trophies...........kickings part of the game nowadays , like it or not..................

#17 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 892 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

Impossible to judge best ever players. Apart from the different eras, is there anyone still alive who actually saw Albert Goldthorpe or Jack Walkington play for Hunslet?

The likes of Walkington, George Todd, Hector Crowther, Oliver Morris, Ernest Winter - in fact anybody who played in the 1934 Cup Final! - were my dad's boyhood heroes. He then saw all the great Hunslet teams and players of the 50s and 60s.

But if he were still alive, my dad would have celebrated his 90th birthday last week ...

#18 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

im the same hawkwind, my dad used to tell me about all them players, remember being on his shoulders as a little kid at a packed out huge odsal bowl on a red hot day in 59 when we played st helens in the championship final.We were the top team in this City then, you could even count on a couple of hundred  going to watch them train on a tues and thurs night on the training pitch at Parkside.Geoff Gunney was my dads fav but ive heard so many tales of Arthur Clues, Cec Thompson,Ted Carroll, and Ginger Burnell.Gunney was also the best forward ive ever seen in a Hunslet shirt.

Posted Image

#19 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

Impossible to judge best ever players. Apart from the different eras, is there anyone still alive who actually saw Albert Goldthorpe or Jack Walkington play for Hunslet?

The likes of Walkington, George Todd, Hector Crowther, Oliver Morris, Ernest Winter - in fact anybody who played in the 1934 Cup Final! - were my dad's boyhood heroes. He then saw all the great Hunslet teams and players of the 50s and 60s.

But if he were still alive, my dad would have celebrated his 90th birthday last week ...

Thats not to say they could'nt have made it in todays game either , my dad was born in 1922 so around the same age...........

#20 Penola

Penola
  • 604 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

Dolly Dawson, Dai Jenkins.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users