League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Royal Mail privatisation

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you in favour of Royal Mail privatisation? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you in favour of Royal Mail privatisation?

1. Yes (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

2. No (23 votes [82.14%])

Percentage of vote: 82.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

Another crackpot privatisation looms...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-24294745

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Not in the slightest. Just another opportunity for them to give their mates a chance to make money at our expense. It's what they're put into politics for.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,815 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

This country is bent as a nine bob note.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#4 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

The sooner the better.

#5 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

The sooner the better.

Why?

#6 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

Why?

Cheap(ish) flotation. Dividends.

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,815 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

You mean like British Gas? Yeah that was worth a few people making a few quid wasn't it. It's not like the energy companies now shaft everyone regularly.

Building societies becoming banks was another good earner. I am just popping down to the Bradford & Bingley. ...

#8 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:47 AM

And a worse service at a higher price for the consumer to go with it.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#9 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

And a worse service at a higher price for the consumer to go with it.

Will postman suddenly lose the ability to locate the postbox or something? How much higher?

#10 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

You mean like British Gas? Yeah that was worth a few people making a few quid wasn't it. It's not like the energy companies now shaft everyone regularly.

Building societies becoming banks was another good earner. I am just popping down to the Bradford & Bingley. ...

Do they? In what way do they shaft everyone?

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,815 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:54 AM

Do they? In what way do they shaft everyone?

Are you taking the p iss or what? I can only assume that a) you generate your own electricity
b ) are a millionaire or you own a power company.

It is a complete and utter scam.

#12 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

Are you taking the p iss or what? I can only assume that a) you generate your own electricity
b ) are a millionaire or you own a power company.

It is a complete and utter scam.

Aah, I'm not a cobbler either, are shoe companies a scam?

Why is it a scam, there's a chart doing the rounds that show just how much we pay compared to our European cousins and judging by the gnashing and wailing round here you'd think that we were actually paying with blood while over the channel they were being given it gratis.

http://www.energy.eu/

Edited by archibald, 28 September 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,815 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

Do you remember the days before energy privatisation?

#14 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

Yes. Halcyon days, where bills were virtually non existent. How much were they again and how much would they be today? When we'd have just the one supplier, who could set just how much they could charge and how little they could invest.

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,815 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

Yes. Halcyon days, where bills were virtually non existent. How much were they again and how much would they be today? When we'd have just the one supplier, who could set just how much they could charge and how little they could invest.

Why do we need more than one supplier? It isn't food or something that can vary in quality. It should be made to keep peoples houses warm and power business, not just generate profit for a handful of rich people.

Same with the Post office.

#16 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

Why do we need more than one supplier? It isn't food or something that can vary in quality. It should be made to keep peoples houses warm and power business, not just generate profit for a handful of rich people.

Same with the Post office.

Because if you have just the one supplier they call the shots. "Electricity gone off, sir? We'll be round 3 weeks on Tuesday!"

It does keep peoples houses warm, power business AND generate profit, which keeps my pension ticking over nicely.

#17 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

Because if you have just the one supplier they call the shots. "Electricity gone off, sir? We'll be round 3 weeks on Tuesday!"
It does keep peoples houses warm, power business AND generate profit, which keeps my pension ticking over nicely.

Having six companies hasn't improved anything though has it? EDF charge us more than they charge their French customers.
The Royal Mail has lost money for years and the British Public has picked up the bill. Now it has started to make a bit, we should be recouping some of the money we ploughed in.
We have competition now, privatising the service will not increase the number of competitors it will just ensure that public money is syphoned off into individuals pockets.
I have an old postcard from before WW1 it was sent from Ulverston to Newcastle on Tyne, it was posted in the morning and the wording says "Arriving at 2pm please pick me up at the station" -4 posts a day!
How long before privatisation brings us 4 posts ( or even 1) a week?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,939 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

Do you remember the days before energy privatisation?

yes, indeed..and not just as a customer, but working with the overmanned  inefficient, unresponsive CEGB and Norweb who had never heard of the concept of customer service.

#19 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

Having six companies hasn't improved anything though has it? EDF charge us more than they charge their French customers.
The Royal Mail has lost money for years and the British Public has picked up the bill. Now it has started to make a bit, we should be recouping some of the money we ploughed in.
We have competition now, privatising the service will not increase the number of competitors it will just ensure that public money is syphoned off into individuals pockets.
I have an old postcard from before WW1 it was sent from Ulverston to Newcastle on Tyne, it was posted in the morning and the wording says "Arriving at 2pm please pick me up at the station" -4 posts a day!
How long before privatisation brings us 4 posts ( or even 1) a week?

Improved? What do you want to improve? You mean you want it cheaper, you see these faceless corporations who just have 10's of thousands of rotund men in expensive suits keeling over from the weight of the £50 notes they're shovelling into their pockets and want a cut of the action.

Excellent, lets get back to what it was like before the "great war", first thing, women no longer get to vote. That ok?

If privatisation brings us 2 guaranteed posts per week, brilliant. Because the only thing that'll happen is I'll get less marketing ###### from various companies.

Just a quick question, if, when you check on the mat in a morning and the postie (or national treasure as he/she shall now be called) hasn't delivered anything who do you blame?

OH MY GOD! A company charges people in a completely different country a different amount for it's services.

#20 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Just an aside, the business linked to this website posts out magazines. Do these magazines, which will undoubtedly be sent by Royal Mail, arrive on time, every time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users