Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Royal Mail privatisation

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you in favour of Royal Mail privatisation? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you in favour of Royal Mail privatisation?

1. Yes (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

2. No (23 votes [82.14%])

Percentage of vote: 82.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

Having six companies hasn't improved anything though has it? EDF charge us more than they charge their French customers.
The Royal Mail has lost money for years and the British Public has picked up the bill. Now it has started to make a bit, we should be recouping some of the money we ploughed in.
We have competition now, privatising the service will not increase the number of competitors it will just ensure that public money is syphoned off into individuals pockets.
I have an old postcard from before WW1 it was sent from Ulverston to Newcastle on Tyne, it was posted in the morning and the wording says "Arriving at 2pm please pick me up at the station" -4 posts a day!
How long before privatisation brings us 4 posts ( or even 1) a week?

Having six companies hasn't improved anything though has it?

yes. compared with life under The North West Electricity Board, everything and I means EVERYTHING , is better

EDF charge us more than they charge their French customers.

Even if that were true, its irrelevant as they have entirely different costs, entirely different SLAs etc.

I have an old postcard from before WW1 it was sent from Ulverston to Newcastle on Tyne, it was posted in the morning and the wording says "Arriving at 2pm please pick me up at the station" -4 posts a day!

I know what you mean on this. But you try telling that to the kids of today, with their interweb, smartphones, text messages, voice mail, Twitbook, overnight parcel deliveries and they wouldn't believe you!

Edited by JohnM, 28 September 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#22 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

This thread is about Royal Mail privatisation. Stay on topic, please.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#23 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

Just an aside, the business linked to this website posts out magazines. Do these magazines, which will undoubtedly be sent by Royal Mail, arrive on time, every time?

No, not every time. But Royal Mail is the ONLY service that offers us an affordable next day delivery option to all areas of the UK.

I think many people fear that this level of service will only go one way after privatisation, regardless of any promises being given by government ministers now, who lets face it, have a vested interest in the privatisation going ahead, will say whatever they think they need to say in order to achieve that and will probably no longer be around to admit or accept blame if their promises are later seen to be broken.

In short - do I expect the postal service to impove after privatisation? No.

Do I expect it to cost a lot more? Yes.

Will those employed to run it start earning even more outrageous amounts in pay and bonuses than they do already? Absolutely.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#24 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

And if it were not privatised, what evidence is there that the service will not decline further and that prices will not increase?

#25 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

In short - do I expect the postal service to impove after privatisation? No.

Do I expect it to cost a lot more? Yes.

Will those employed to run it start earning even more outrageous amounts in pay and bonuses than they do already? Absolutely.

How can it improve? Letters get posted letters get delivered. That's it.

Right now a first class letter costs 60p.

UK guaranteed before 1pm costs £6.22, by 9am it becomes a slightly more expensive £17.64!! Stick an extra £3 on for a Saturday.

So, even though standard first class "aims to deliver next working day including Saturdays" you have to pay 10 times that to actually make sure it does! 

#26 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

Only just realised who Archibald is - can't believe it took me so long. Welcome back I guess.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#27 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

And if it were not privatised, what evidence is there that the service will not decline further and that prices will not increase?

The onus here is on those who want to privatise, to demonstrate what the actual benefit of that is to those who presently own the service, ie, all of us.

So far, deafening silence on that, interspersed with a lot of hysterical right wing ranting from certain quarters.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#28 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Anyone can buy shares.

If you have at least £750 spare cash.

Tell me, why should I buy shares in something I already own?

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#29 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

Is the Royal Mail the only delivery provider that offers next day service to the whole of the UK? No.

Affordable? How do you judge that? Does the royal Mail make a profit?

Many people fear? Other than those who want a big state, who are the scare mongerers in question, who fears it?

Of course, the world we live in hasn't changed one bit. Emails haven't replaced letters, online shopping hasn't increased the number of parcels being delivered & Royal mail is the only provider out there.

To answer your points in order:-

For letter post, of the type we use to deliver our products, yes it is.

Affordable in the sense that our company avoids making a loss on the materials we send through the post for next day delivery.

Who fears it? Try picking up a newspaper or talking to a few people outside your current social circle. Many do. Ask yourself why this particular privatisation is so unpopular.

Yes, the world has changed. To the extent that Royal Mail as it is makes a profit already. So why flog it off? It has also changed to the extent that many people can see that privatisation is not the answer to everything. It never was, and is as dogmatic as the desire to nationalise everything. Somewhere inbetween the two exteremes sanity can be found..

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#30 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

If you have at least £750 spare cash.

Tell me, why should I buy shares in something I already own?

So, it's you who keeps on putting the price of stamps up! When do they hand out our share of the profits as I never seem to get my cheque!

#31 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

So, it's you who keeps on putting the price of stamps up! When do they hand out our share of the profits as I never seem to get my cheque!

Maybe they're investing the profit back into improving the business. You know, like private companies always claim they do.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#32 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

Maybe they're investing the profit back into improving the business. You know, like private companies always claim they do.

Private companies do, they have to to survive. Are spinning jenny's still the industry standard?

Why is there now an online version of league express/rl world?

Edited by archibald, 28 September 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

How much improvement, or prevention of decline, would Royal Mail get for £400 million  these days?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-22605734

#34 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

Will it still be called Royal Mail? Is the Queen allowed to "promote" a private company?

#35 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,717 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

yes, indeed..and not just as a customer, but working with the overmanned inefficient, unresponsive CEGB and Norweb who had never heard of the concept of customer service.

Yes they were terrible days indeed. Someone used to come and read your meter every quarter and you could actually go into a shop and pay your bill in person. Combine this with someone on the end of the phone (as opposed to. ..'press 1') who you could sort out any issues and it really was horrendous.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#36 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,717 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

Employing people to read meters? How inefficient & expensive was that. Just think how much lower bills could have been. You can still go into shops & pay. Problems were sorted out much quicker in the old days? Really?

Which shops do British Gas or eon have on the high street?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#37 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

shops? how quaint!

#38 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

The onus here is on those who want to privatise, to demonstrate what the actual benefit of that is to those who presently own the service, ie, all of us.

So far, deafening silence on that, interspersed with a lot of hysterical right wing ranting from certain quarters.

A couple of points here.

1. Full trading of the shares will take place from 8am on October 15.

2. This " hysterical right wing ranting from certain quarters."  Can you supply more details? 

#39 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Selling stuff to folk who already own it has to go down as one of the best con tricks in history, yet they manage it time and again. How long before there are threads on here such as this one about the post companies? 

I know there is a commitment that the newly privatised post service will retain the universal service commitment that it has currently, but I give it 10 years max (and more probably within 5) before "regulation" is relaxed under pressure from the companies to be able to limit their service in certain areas. Still, I expect Peter Mandelson will be pleased with his efforts, which should keep some posters happy. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#40 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

Selling stuff to folk who already own it has to go down as one of the best con tricks in history, yet they manage it time and again. How long before there are threads on here such as this one about the post companies?

If I own it, where's my dividend? my cut of the profits? why am i not consulted on price rises? why was i not consulted on the amount of junk mail shoved through my letter box etc etc. The actual con trick is made by people claiming that we own the damn thing.

Sorry, forgot to ask, why is it deemed to be some sort of human right that a postman has to turn up at your house 6 days per week.

Edited by archibald, 28 September 2013 - 03:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users