Rugby League World Cup 2017 Tours – Register Your Interest Now!
Join TotalRL.com, League Express & Rugby League World at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup in Australia, New Zealand & Papua New Guinea! Click here for more info

Rugby League World
FREE 2016 Fixture Guide
League Express

Rugby League Yearbook 2015-2016

Photo
- - - - -

England Squad Announcement

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
376 replies to this topic

#361 Wally123456

Wally123456
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

Since 2011 he's won a Harry Sunderland trophy and a golden boot so definitely not declined

You can hardly count the Golden boot. Given to the 6th best player in a list of 6 because he is (for some odd reason) England captain and the world cup is being held in England.

#362 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

So Ablett to start in the centres in Cardiff, but not sure who is best to go along side him.

I can't believe I'm agreeing that Ablett should start against Aus but I think it could to nullify their wide attack. Also I don't think we can win that match in the backs, much more likely through the middle with the forwards. Therefore Ablett adds to the brute force.

#363 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

When Petero the Troll says Cudjoe is a poor defender the I KNOW that he hasn't got a clue what he is talking about.

I'm supporting him not just because he is a Giants player, but because he is genuinely one of the best centres in the English game, if he played for Wigan or Leeds he'd be the first name on some peoples lists without seeing him play.

As for the list of centres posted earlier, it's a good list. If question how many of them have performed well against Aus though, maybe 4 or 5

Newlove for starters never ever took his club form I international level, other players best performances against Aus came at other

positions and some of those named are just there for a laugh I think.

The second sentence of the above joke piece Ant, is quite easy to answer: should as you state that Cudjoe is as good as you seem to imagine then why haven't Wigan or Leeds made a move for him? I could offer an easy and simple answer to that one too, but why bother.

Your probable answer that he is contracted to Huddersfield and that this is what deters both the clubs you imagine are hungering for Cudjoe, has never previously, in the entire history of R/L, stopped either from approaching and signing players before and, very likely will not do so again, now or in the future.

I am not saying, incidentally that Cudjoe is the worst centre in S/L, not at all, what I am saying is that he is not International class and by a long chalk at that. I care what happens in the W/Cup and want England to win it desperately, that is why I fear Cudjoe's involvement in the team if pitted against Oz and NZ or the best from the S/Hemi.

#364 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

I can't believe I'm agreeing that Ablett should start against Aus but I think it could to nullify their wide attack. Also I don't think we can win that match in the backs, much more likely through the middle with the forwards. Therefore Ablett adds to the brute force.

By all accounts Inglis has had a quiet season since his injury earlier in the year and it would not surprise me if he has plenty left in the tank for the World Cup and will be firing on all cylinders.

Without wanting to focus too much on him, I think if you can keep Inglis quiet then you are in with a chance, and Ablett is the only centre we have who I think could deal physically with Inglis for 80 minutes. So do you pair him with Watkins or Cudjoe and if so, what are the combinations with wingers? 

It is a shame he decided to switch as a centre pairing of Joel Tomkins and Ablett would I think be perfect against the Aussies, big units strong in defense but who have shown they have the gas and passing game to take the game to the opposition in attack.

#365 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

Here's one reason to be cheerful

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#366 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

By all accounts Inglis has had a quiet season since his injury earlier in the year and it would not surprise me if he has plenty left in the tank for the World Cup and will be firing on all cylinders.

Without wanting to focus too much on him, I think if you can keep Inglis quiet then you are in with a chance, and Ablett is the only centre we have who I think could deal physically with Inglis for 80 minutes. So do you pair him with Watkins or Cudjoe and if so, what are the combinations with wingers? 

It is a shame he decided to switch as a centre pairing of Joel Tomkins and Ablett would I think be perfect against the Aussies, big units strong in defense but who have shown they have the gas and passing game to take the game to the opposition in attack.

For me you can only deal with Inglis at centre in three ways...

1. Cut the supply
2. Stop him stationary
3. Catch him

Number 3 ain't going to happen unless he's carrying an injury, and 1 is likely to have the counter problem of not maintaining the line on the edge, so it's number 2. That means you need to be on him when he gets the ball, before he can fend and/or side step. I think Ablett is strong enough, but I don't reckon he's fast enough off his line, which ultimately means a try to Aus.

I don't have any clever solution by the way, but whoever plays second row for us on that side of the field in going to have to be switched on for the full eighty otherwise it's going to be tough to watch.
......I want curly hair toooooo.

#367 thehullram

thehullram
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

Some interesting stats appearing regarding % of 'Born in England and played for England'.

Cricket - 62.5%
Rugby Union - 76.1%
Rugby League - 94.1%
Football - 96.8%

#368 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

He has scored more tries this year than the three previous seasons.

He had a quiet SOO and has gone missing in some end of season games probably because of his knee injury, he has lost some pace as he has got older and filled out.

Still a threat though.

#369 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

While maybe a touch slower, this version of Greg Inglis is better than any England have faced in the past. He's always had great footballing instincts but he's taken it to a new level in the last couple of years.

#370 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 8,182 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

Aussie in Inglis is better than ever shock.
One thing that puzzles me is why we have produced so few centres of note in the last 20 years. For ages we were entirely reliant on Newlove and Connolly and then Senior and Gleeson, and now Watkins and no one.
Why no centres?

#371 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

While maybe a touch slower, this version of Greg Inglis is better than any England have faced in the past. He's always had great footballing instincts but he's taken it to a new level in the last couple of years.

Agreed, but Id say a fair amount of that is due him him now playing full back for Souths. I dont this think he is as effective playing centre, although having said that, his less effective performances at centre are still pretty devastating!

#372 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 9,580 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

Aussie in Inglis is better than ever shock.
One thing that puzzles me is why we have produced so few centres of note in the last 20 years. For ages we were entirely reliant on Newlove and Connolly and then Senior and Gleeson, and now Watkins and no one.
Why no centres?

You've forgotten Cudjoe,he's the second coming apparently.(According to some)

God bless the keyboard warrior.

#373 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 28,031 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

He's been playing with a fair bit of strapping for part of this season. How fit is he at the moment?

Between the optimist & the pessimist
The difference is quite droll:
The optimist sees the doughnut,
The pessimist sees the hole.

#374 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

Now i'm no rugby league expert nor am I a Leeds supporter but i've watched a fair few Leeds games this season and firmly believe that Abblet deserves his place.....plus I would start him at centre.

#375 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

You've forgotten Cudjoe,he's the second coming apparently.(According to some)

Stats don't lie

And all I've ever said is he is a better all round centre than Watkins, certainly better defensively

But silly me, he's a Giants player so he must be ######.

Edited by Ant, 10 October 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#376 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Now i'm no rugby league expert nor am I a Leeds supporter but i've watched a fair few Leeds games this season and firmly believe that Abblet deserves his place.....plus I would start him at centre.

1) He hasn't played centre all season, playing a second rower at centre is not a sensible option.

2) The only other forward in the squad I would have him ahead of is Farrell, apart from that I don't think he is a better player than any of them. I think there is a couple who have not been selected that merit a place.

#377 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 9,580 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

Stats don't lie

And all I've ever said is he is a better all round centre than Watkins, certainly better defensively

But silly me, he's a Giants player so he must be ######.

Who has said he's ####,just he's not the superman you make him out to be.Watkins and cudjoe are fairly equal.

God bless the keyboard warrior.