Baseball

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,170 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

I went to watch NY Yankees v San Francisco Giants last Friday (20-09-13)  it was garbage.  The beer was good though - I'd no idea you could get IPA in the US, but you can and it's a great drink. Better than the ###### on the field anyway.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

Yeah IPA everywhere, some of it quite good. A very welcome surprise.

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

I went to watch NY Yankees v San Francisco Giants last Friday (20-09-13)  it was garbage.  The beer was good though - I'd no idea you could get IPA in the US, but you can and it's a great drink. Better than the ###### on the field anyway.

So you went to a game you can't understand in a place for which you were so prepared you didn't know what booze might be on offer?

Still, some background ...

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,165 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

sounds like a great voyage of discovery, so well done for embarking on it. Maybe you'll get hooked!

#5 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

They'd probably say something similar about our cricket. 

#6 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

I went to a game in Havanna. If it hadn't been for the crowd trouble then I think I'd have fallen asleep. Pretty much nothing happened for hours.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#7 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

I went to a game in Havanna. If it hadn't been for the crowd trouble then I think I'd have fallen asleep. Pretty much nothing happened for hours.

Havana? Christ your band is getting all over, well done
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#8 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,170 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

sounds like a great voyage of discovery, so well done for embarking on it. Maybe you'll get hooked!

I doubt it. It was three hours long, the boredom was relieved only by the ale.  There was a prat in front of us (we sat in the bleachers) jumping up and down all through the game, standing on the seats, chanting "let's go Yankees" and "Hey Rod" (I think one of the Yankees team is called Rogrigues)  no one else was carrying on like this.  The game was 1 all until the ninth innings and then the Yankees scored 4 and they all walked off the field.  There are various rituals - singing and doing all the actions to YMCA and standing with you hand on your heart for America, America.  It was an experience but not one I'd care to repeat.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#9 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

http://en.wikipedia..../Alex_Rodriguez known as A-Rod is a batter who has scored many home runs due to his steroid enhanced body for which he has received an incredible 211 game ban. Agree baseball is the dullest major sport that I have watched. I attended a college game in Houston and could see that the players were fine athletes, looking for something athletic to perform but rarely given the opportunity.  The concept of the game seems flawed in that it is possible to win a game without striking a home run or even showing any skill whatsoever.

Edited by flyingking, 06 October 2013 - 11:49 PM.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#10 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

So basically its a day on the booze?

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:49 AM

it is possible to win a game without striking a home run

Hmmm ...  winning without scoring home runs is a lot more fun.

- Severus, July 2012

#12 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Hmmm ...  winning without scoring home runs is a lot more fun.

I guess like winning a game of RL without scoring any tries?

Don't know much about baseball, so no idea if this is apt. The few games I have seen I really enjoyed actually

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

It's just rounders with bigger bats.

Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

I guess like winning a game of RL without scoring any tries?

Don't know much about baseball, so no idea if this is apt. The few games I have seen I really enjoyed actually

Not really - the aim is just to get the runner all the way back to home.  It's more fun (to me) if that's done by building up - so a runner gets on base and is then batted round.  A home run is obviously kind of cool but it clears the bases without any threat to the runners.

- Severus, July 2012

#15 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

It's just rounders with bigger bats.

Don' t forget the bigger ball too.
What is it about American sports? They have to make everything easier.
SNOOKER- cut the table down to quarter size
NETBALL- you can run with the ball
9 PIN BOWLING- add another pin to make it easier
RUGBY- throw the ball forward, tackle people without the ball and don't worry about bending your back to score just step over the line. Not to mention play for only 1 hour with a break every 15 minutes and when your tired of attacking get another team on to do the defending.

Edited by bearman, 07 October 2013 - 09:36 AM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,242 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

I've never got into baseball. I can't afford to; I spend far too much time watching the telly as it is.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#17 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

Is the hour(s) wait for a batter to make it to second base included in the fun part?

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#18 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

Is the hour(s) wait for a batter to make it to second base included in the fun part?

Thank you Finbarr Saunders.

Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

Making it to second base is always a pleasure.

- Severus, July 2012

#20 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Whats second base????????

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users