TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Grand Final Entertainment

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,998 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

Has anyone heard who the turn is at the GF next week?

rldfsignature.jpg

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,538 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

I dread to think.

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

me too. Whatever it is its bound to be a shambles, a betrayal, rubbish, Nigel Woods fault.  :D

#4 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

The Super League Grand Final pre-match ceremony will open with stars of the small screen, the Stobart truckers! Watch as the truck drivers of the much loved haulage firm deliver a dazzling performance on the famous Old Trafford pitch in which they will wave at the crowd aswell as mimmic driving a truck, turning the wheel, changing the gears and that old trucker favourite, honking the horn unnecissarily.

Then, as we approach 80 minutes of Extraordinary Grand Final Rugby League, prepare to be amazed as The Sooty and Sweep show takes to the field. Promising to utilise the whole field, the Sooty and Sweep show looks set to turn Old Trafford from The Theatre of Dreams to A Theatre. Old favourite Sooty and Sweep sketches include Sooty not saying anything aloud and Sweep squeaking alot, so with this being a world wide exclusive performance, the jam packed stadium and world TV audience can watch as the entire Sooty and Sweep ensemble traverse the field, perhaps even making a Rugby League joke.

Then a few sing songs pre kick off and I have just wasted 5 minutes of my saturday.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#5 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

The Super League Grand Final pre-match ceremony will open with stars of the small screen, the Stobart truckers! Watch as the truck drivers of the much loved haulage firm deliver a dazzling performance on the famous Old Trafford pitch in which they will wave at the crowd aswell as mimmic driving a truck, turning the wheel, changing the gears and that old trucker favourite, honking the horn unnecissarily.

Then, as we approach 80 minutes of Extraordinary Grand Final Rugby League, prepare to be amazed as The Sooty and Sweep show takes to the field. Promising to utilise the whole field, the Sooty and Sweep show looks set to turn Old Trafford from The Theatre of Dreams to A Theatre. Old favourite Sooty and Sweep sketches include Sooty not saying anything aloud and Sweep squeaking alot, so with this being a world wide exclusive performance, the jam packed stadium and world TV audience can watch as the entire Sooty and Sweep ensemble traverse the field, perhaps even making a Rugby League joke.

Then a few sing songs pre kick off and I have just wasted 5 minutes of my saturday.

I was the one who persuaded Sooty to go solo ............... he doesn't talk to me anymore ......................... he doesn't talk to anyone anymore!

(Milton Jones)

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,538 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Are Brother Beyond doing anything next week? How is Sonias' diary?

#7 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

How about someone daring to suggest who they'd book, in advance of the official announcement, so we can all have a jolly good laugh at how awful their taste is, whoever they pick. ;)

Isn't that how this works?

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#8 Barry Badrinath

Barry Badrinath
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

Burt Bacharach?

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

It has to be someone current and who people have heard of.

Rolf Harris could be worth a shout.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

Something easily listening.

If the RFL are trying to follow in the footsteps of the Olympics, Emeli Sande may be a nice touch.

They are there for background entertainment, etc. Something to put the drunkard teens to sleep anyway...

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

Had to be impressed with the AFL (Aussie Rules) grand final today. Not only do they have a pretty big Aussie star - Tina Arena - doing the national anthem, they then have an iconic Aussie band, Hunters and Collectors, playing at half time. Then they have the post-GF show, starting shortly after the GF finishes, which anyone can attend, free of charge, featuring three well known bands.
They really do make it an occasion for everyone.
Oh yeah, and more than 100,000 attended the game...

#12 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

Had to be impressed with the AFL (Aussie Rules) grand final today. Not only do they have a pretty big Aussie star - Tina Arena - doing the national anthem, they then have an iconic Aussie band, Hunters and Collectors, playing at half time. Then they have the post-GF show, starting shortly after the GF finishes, which anyone can attend, free of charge, featuring three well known bands.
They really do make it an occasion for everyone.
Oh yeah, and more than 100,000 attended the game...

Just saw on B B C news 100,000 attended the world ploughing championships in Ireland as well no accounting for taste

#13 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Just saw on B B C news 100,000 attended the world ploughing championships in Ireland as well no accounting for taste

Ha! The ploughing was probably more entertaining too!

#14 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

How about Black Veil Brides? Never heard them play, but I'm under the impression they are some awful "heavy rock" group and I've got to take my daughter to see them in before Christmas? Maybe if they did 5 mins at the Grand Final, that would do instead, and I could cry off the full ear-bleed in December!

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

The Super League Grand Final is more than just a game. Start your afternoon by enjoying the facilities in our fan village featuring inflatables, face painting and chances to win some great prizes from our sponsors. Enjoy some great stadium catering before taking your seat for the pre-match show. Previous events have featured top bands like Scouting for Girls and The Wombats. The entertainment builds to a spine tingling high, culminating with the traditional singing of Jerusalem before the players enter the arena to bursts of fireworks and the sound of 70,000 passionate fans.

see http://www.rugbyleag....uk/grand_final

The thing is, right, what is the point of pre match entertainment?

1. Will it increase the value of the event as a spectacle?

1. Will it help sell more tickets or at a higher price?

2. Will it increase  the size of the TV audience?

3. Will it attract more media attention?

4. Will it attract more sponsors?

I'd say it should do all of these, so it would make sense to promote it  well in advance.

#16 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

It might be too late for this year but perhaps Larry the Leit's band could do the honours next year?.
I know he has a full diary so they would have to booked early.
As mentioned on another thread with his following in Europe he would be a shoe in for the Eurovision Song Contest too.

Edited by bearman, 28 September 2013 - 04:32 PM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#17 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

The pitch cutting up ruined it for me.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,538 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

The pitch cutting up ruined it for me.

You're wasted on here mate. When does BGT start?

#19 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Classical star headlines Grand Final entertainment bill

Laura Wright, one of the world’s leading young classical artists, will headline the pre-match entertainment at the 2013 Super League Grand Final, Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors, at Old Trafford, Manchester on Saturday (6.00pm).
The 23-year-old has sold over one million albums worldwide and was the first female singer since Katherine Jenkins to reach No 1 in the UK classical charts with her album The Last Rose.
She has already performed at some of the country’s biggest sporting events, including the 2012 Challenge Cup final, football’s FA Cup and Carling Cup finals (all at Wembley) and international rugby union matches during the Six Nations at Twickenham.
Wright will be performing Jerusalem prior to kick-off, just after the Super League trophy’s grand entrance, which will be accompanied by music performed by the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers from Lancashire.
The band Conquer Rio will also be performing a 20-minute set and fans can help choose one of the songs by voting on Twitter via @superleague – the choice is Dakota by Stereophonics or Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor by Arctic Monkeys.

Timeline of events (please note that timings are approximate):

5.20 - Conquer Rio set
5.40 - Sky Go Best Seat Competition with Robbie Hunter-Paul
5.53 - Super League trophy arrival accompanied by a live fanfare performed by the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, Lancashire
5.55 - Laura Wright performing Jerusalem

6.00 - Kick Off

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

Appears they have sacked off trying to get decent bands in which is a shame imho. I enjoyed when they had Madness and Scouting for Girls and it gave the event a different feel from the Challenge Cup which is often about classical music building up to kick off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users