Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

wally lewis - how good was he?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

I don't think Trinity won another game all season when he went back home.

For all his skill and mastery, he managed to spend most of his time in Yorkshire on the lash, and turned up at Wheldon road half cut and played.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#22 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

I tend to associate those traits with an old school scrum half rather than an old school stand off.

and when you can pass the ball 30 metres across the field into somebodys chest, you dont need to scoot or jink or electric pace. For me he is the best player I have ever seen because he could see things nobody else could see or nobody else could do, he was light years ahead of his time compared to players in this country at the time..He was strong, tough and didnt know when he was beaten..

Posted Image

#23 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

I don't think Trinity won another game all season when he went back home.

For all his skill and mastery, he managed to spend most of his time in Yorkshire on the lash, and turned up at Wheldon road half cut and played.

Read this, http://richarddelariviere.co.uk/?p=825

Posted Image

#24 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

15023_10150157937555434_884988_n.jpg

15023_10150157937560434_5322374_n.jpg

15023_10150157937565434_7603703_n.jpg

God I used to love the 1980's DIY Fanzines be it music/fashion or sport.

#25 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

That ties in the Cas game (the engagement as I think it was a boxing day game).  I think the pub was on the left hand side just before the big bend to the right on Aberford road.... on the way to Newmarket.  

An amazing player, but in terms of benefit to the team, Colin Maskill and Nigel Bell to name but two put some bloody fine shifts in for Trinity and deserve some of the nostalgic recognition that Lewis gets.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#26 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Context is the key - if you weren't there then it is difficult to understand the impact that he had in his brief time here and, much more importantly, in his time in the ARL/QRL. Remember he played in the Queensland competition before it merged with the NSWRL to create what eventually became the NRL. No Brisbane Broncos, Sky/Channel 9 money; even in Oz the players were strictly part-time; training was a bolt-on to their regular jobs; and the game as positively brutal, it really was (that's why complaints today about lax refereeing make me chuckle).

To survive and thrive in those conditions as a skilful half back with vision and combative energy was really something special that would make many current players flinch to think about. Never mind his games for Trinity just watch the influence of his cameos for the 1982 tourists and marvel.

He liked a beer and a fag, hated training and generally ignored coaches, so I reckon he was like two Lee Briers on speed with tackling ability and no dodgy haircut.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#27 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

Wayne Bennett once described him as the finest player that ever pulled on a State of Origin jersey.

That'll do for me.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#28 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

He was a freak of rugby league nature

Powerful and tough
Agile and quick
Clever bordering on genius
A leader, both verbal and through actions
The best passer of a ball I've ever seen
a class kicking game
Vision and understanding of the game
Consistently brilliant

What made him the greatest was his ability to be one or all of these things at just the right time in the game.

#29 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

and when you can pass the ball 30 metres across the field into somebodys chest, you dont need to scoot or jink or electric pace. For me he is the best player I have ever seen because he could see things nobody else could see or nobody else could do, he was light years ahead of his time compared to players in this country at the time..He was strong, tough and didnt know when he was beaten..

He was strong, tough and didnt know when he was beaten........I don't doubt it but.............As a young kid the Aussies came to Barrow to play and I remember being outside the ground as the Aussie bus pulled up as we wanted to glimpse the superstars up close and get autographs etc,  anyhow big daft Eddie Szymila  was walking up to the ground carrying a plastic shopping bag (lol) He suddenly went ape ######, he ran over to the bus ran around until he spotted Wally and went bananas slamming the windows screaming how he was going to kill him etc he ran to the coach door and tried to open it to get on etc, the faces on the Aussies was a picture and Lewis looked shaken to say the least as Eddie was ushered into the ground chomping at the bit, An hour or so later you hardly noticed Wally was actually on the pitch.  

#30 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

That'd be like the British RL team going to play some backwater team in Wolf Creek.....if some Mick Talyor style character started screaming that he was going to create a few "heads-on-sticks" I'm sure it would put Sir Kev of his stroke too.... 

#31 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 601 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

He was strong, tough and didnt know when he was beaten........I don't doubt it but.............As a young kid the Aussies came to Barrow to play and I remember being outside the ground as the Aussie bus pulled up as we wanted to glimpse the superstars up close and get autographs etc,  anyhow big daft Eddie Szymila  was walking up to the ground carrying a plastic shopping bag (lol) He suddenly went ape ######, he ran over to the bus ran around until he spotted Wally and went bananas slamming the windows screaming how he was going to kill him etc he ran to the coach door and tried to open it to get on etc, the faces on the Aussies was a picture and Lewis looked shaken to say the least as Eddie was ushered into the ground chomping at the bit, An hour or so later you hardly noticed Wally was actually on the pitch.  

What year was that? They played Cumbria at Carlisle in 1982 did they play Barrow as well? I know they played Cumbria at Barrow in 1986

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#32 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,735 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

So Bedlam Breakout, who regularly tells us that RL isn't as good as it used to be, is now downgrading his view on good players who used to be? Has he/she never just considered the possibility that RL isn't the game for him/her?

Edited by Just Browny, 30 September 2013 - 09:33 AM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#33 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

What year was that? They played Cumbria at Carlisle in 1982 did they play Barrow as well? I know they played Cumbria at Barrow in 1986

In 1982  they played Barrow at Craven Park.

Wally was one of the Emus on the 1982 tour and Brett Kenny was the chosen Test 5/8 alongside Sterlo at Halfback.

By the 1986 Tour Brett Kenny had been pushed into the Centres at Test level.

http://www.rugbyleag...82/summary.html

Edited by AndyCapp, 30 September 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#34 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

I thought Lewis was a great player based on his impact on SOO, and also v GB in 84, 86 and 88. Vision and leadership, tough guy, great passing, decent short kicking game, very influencial.

I saw him during his time at Wakey in 83/84 and he jogged round and took the pee a little, old manning the refs and rarely getting out of second gear. He still looked a cut above his team-mates unsurprisingly.

A Fev Blog

#35 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 601 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

In 1982  they played Barrow at Craven Park, Wally was one of the Emus on the 1982 tour and Brett Kenny was the chosen Test 5/8 alongside Sterlo at Halfback

http://www.rugbyleag...82/summary.html

Cheers for that, as a kid watching the 82 Kangaroos live at Carlisle and the Tests on telly the 2 that always stick out in my memory are Big Mal and Wayne Pearce, it was only really when Lewis went to Wakefield I really became aware of him. Seem to remember it being reported that he put that many on the gate that Wakefield made a profit on him being there

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#36 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

:tongue:  Szymala. Mad as a bag of snakes.

A Fev Blog

#37 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

having watched many repeated soo matches on premier sports it left me asking the question was "the king" really that good? or was it a aura built up by the queensland press and public?  to be fair there never seemed to be any electric pace, jinking or sidestepping or anything out of the ordinary, sure he was a good passer grafter and leader but I think there have been much better half backs than him to come fron down under.

Having won eight State of Origin man of the match awards he must have had something going for him.

#38 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

As school kids we were always trying to throw 'Wally Lewis' passes so his reputation certainly flooded through the game in the 1980s.

#39 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 573 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

I'm always amused that while Wally was busy pulling a supporting Offiah back, Mike Gregory went 60m under the posts himself.

#40 FlattenedbyWard

FlattenedbyWard
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

Errrrr- out of this world IMO.

Yes he was of his time, and the game was very different even in the 80's but was a prodigious ball player, organiser, general and leader. A great physical presence too who could mix it with the Forwards and wasn't afraid to get stuck in.

The nearest player I can see to him now is Glen Stewart ironically who is a 13!

Today he would have been a 13 too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users