wally lewis - how good was he?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

He certainly gave Oldham the run around with his extra ordinary cut out passes, it led to New Zealand international Nick Wright (who played full back for Oldham ) trying to remove his head from his shoulders in a terrible and blatant piece of foul play that got him a red card.
Lewis was a great, tough as teak and elusive,up there with the very best!

#42 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Today he would have been a 13 too.

I think that Wally started at 13.

I seem to remember something in Open Rugby about him first making the World XIII at 13 (or 8 as it was in Aus).

I think he toured as an RU player possibly at High School/College age - don't think he was ever a Wallaby.

Edited by Ex-Kirkholt, 30 September 2013 - 02:22 PM.

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#43 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

I believe that he toured with the Queensland RL side around 1980. I've got the programme for their game against Leeds somewhere so will look it out when I can next get to it..

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#44 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

I think that I have posted this before, but I remember reading an interview with Clive Woodward around the time when England won the RU World Cup - just noticed that I had typed Enbland, which makes me think that there might be something in Freudian slip theory. Anyway, Woodward was asked who, if he could choose from any era or nation, would he add to his current team. He chose Wally Lewis.

#45 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

I believe that he toured with the Queensland RL side around 1980. I've got the programme for their game against Leeds somewhere so will look it out when I can next get to it..

It was 1983 and was captain on  the tour.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#46 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

So Bedlam Breakout, who regularly tells us that RL isn't as good as it used to be, is now downgrading his view on good players who used to be? Has he/she never just considered the possibility that RL isn't the game for him/her?

simply asking peoples views and memories of wally lewis that's all (since I have been drunk 68 million times since he hung up his boots my memories not that great), its like been asked if you would have rather had hanley or lewis in your dream team, now theres a question

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#47 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

I don't think Trinity won another game all season when he went back home.

For all his skill and mastery, he managed to spend most of his time in Yorkshire on the lash, and turned up at Wheldon road half cut and played.

I was at that game when he played at Cas. It was like an alien had landed.

He had so much time in possession, as all great players seem to have. The frustration was evident though as the quality of those around him meant that his talents weren't fully exploited....

#48 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

I remember watching a GB v. Aus game where GB were on top until Lewis scored a try, Jack Gibson was a summariser and he said in that laconic voice "Australia, looking for a playmaker. Who turns up ? Wally Lewis. Captain".

Wally Lewis was a magnificent footballer.  In great Brisbane / Queensland and Australia he was still head and shoulders above the rest.

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#49 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

I was chatting to my mate from Brisbane and I said that Darren Lockyer is the best player I'd ever seen play the game.

He then said "Darren Lockyer wasn't good enough to pass The King a beer!"

He is also a big Lockyer fan.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#50 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Wally Lewis is the best player I have seen having followed the game closely since the late 70's. He had vision, passing, out of the hand kicking, an eye for a gap and the ability to beat defenders. He wasn't the quickest player but other than that he was the best IMHO by some way.

#51 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Wally Lewis was the best out and out 5/8 Captain and leader I have seen.

Brett Kenny was the best pure 5/8 ever IMO that I have seen.

Edited by AndyCapp, 01 October 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#52 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

It was 1983 and was captain on  the tour.

It was indeed, and we beat them! Leeds and Wigan got stuffed of course.

#53 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

simply asking peoples views and memories of wally lewis that's all (since I have been drunk 68 million times since he hung up his boots my memories not that great), its like been asked if you would have rather had hanley or lewis in your dream team, now theres a question

You're not listening mate. I go back to the Frank Myler, Roger Millward, Bobby Futon era. They were great players. I've seen plenty of good 'uns in that time. Hanley was a great player but Hanley or Lewis ? Give me a millisecond to think about that. As a Brit it pains me to say it but Lewis was the best bar none.

Alex Murphy was the best scrum half I ever saw though.

#54 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hanley was the better athlete, Lewis the better player, by far.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#55 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

The "Scariest" however was Les Boyd! At sheddings he walked past me having come down the pavilion steps and I shuddered, having probably only just got over the sight of the ugliest player in rugby league Brian Hogan! Great memories though!

#56 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

The "Scariest" however was Les Boyd! At sheddings he walked past me having come down the pavilion steps and I shuddered, having probably only just got over the sight of the ugliest player in rugby league Brian Hogan! Great memories though!

Sir Les, the Baby faced Assassin ;)  

#57 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

He never was and never will be as good as the great Brett Kenny.

#58 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

Kenny was alright!

He never ever seemed to single handedly take a tight game by the scruff of the neck and haul his team to a victory in the way that Lewis did time after time for Australa, Queensland and Brisbane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users