• 1,277 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

Well done Rochdale on promotion

#2 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

got to be honest its not a team ive got a lot of time for. hope we give them a pair of stuffings next year.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#3 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

I wonder who Saints will DR with next season.... My guess is Rochdale with them being closer.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Reporters who have to cover the games like Walshy will be chuffed Rochdale won !!

#5 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

Salford would also have sent their better players to Oldham had they gone up so we might have a better chance of getting hold of them.

#6 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

Will definitely be interesting to see whether Rochdale or Haven get the better Saints players. Have Rochdale got any Saints coaching staff at their place? I'm sure the players would rather train and travel to Rochdale that's for sure. The Haven wheels fell off last year when the likes of Swift were no longer available so some major recruitment is in the offing. If they were hiring mini buses to save costs last year this may not be too easy though. 

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

They have their coach from St Helens ... Good start !

#8 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

They have their coach from St Helens ... Good start !

Really!, So can Saints supply 2 clubs in the same league DR players? It is a total mess, and I think Haven will suffer if the Rochdale coach is a Saints employee.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#9 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

Rochdale are the Saints first choice partnership club but under the rules as they were (you never know when the RFL change them) a SL club could have a second partnership club providing the second club was in a specific area, i.e. South East, South West, London, North East, Wales, and Cumbria, etc. That is how Haven came to be partnered with Saints probably through Dave Woods connections.

Rochdale train at the Saints training ground and Ian Talbot was the youth coach at Saints before "moving" to Rochdale as their head coach. I believe that he also has a job at Saints as well but that may have altered.

So, if the rules have not been altered then I can't see any objections to the present arrangement even though both clubs are in the same division although Rochdale will still be the number one partner. Likewise, if say Wigan, Warrington, Salford, etc, wanted a foothold in Cumbria they could offer Town a partnership as their second club.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#10 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

Cheers Keith that's much clearer. Surely saints won't have enough Championship quality players to furnish 2 clubs though.
Well maybe if one team gets the younger lads they can but I would have thought most would choose to train and play at Rochdale.
I suppose it won't affect us and I shouldn't worry but it's another RFL balls up IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users