TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Great First half

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 kiwityke

kiwityke
  • Coach
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

Fantastic first half. Keep it up guys.

#2 kiwityke

kiwityke
  • Coach
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

Sadly a game of two halves.

Batley's right hand edge scored the try in the first half but let in 3 (?) in the second.

Just a step too far, however, a great achievement over the past few weeks getting to the final. Runners up not to be sneezed at.

Looking forward to Mark's report.

#3 budgiezilla

budgiezilla
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

Unlucky, but that's only 3 tries scored in 4 games at the Leigh Sports Village this season....need to improve.

Can't rely on penalty kicks all the time. :tongue:

#4 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 776 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

Here we are once again with Sheffield coming out on top with a game that was there for the taking.Batley failed to score early in the second half despite  putting lots of pressure on Sheffield's line, at that point the game changed and the Dogs never saw much ball after that.If Black hadn't been ankle taped on his run down the touchline who knows.The right wing was terribley exposed at times.

The Dogs have had two long hard games over the last couple of weeks so hard for them to come up with the win today.

It's been a great finish to the season.Roll on the next

#5 leytherjay

leytherjay
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

The shocking decision from the touch judge turned the game for Sheff (have to watch it later as to me the winger didnt put his foot in touch).......shockin decision and was the game changer.

You was robbed IMO.

NRC CHAMPIONS 2011 & 2013

#6 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

Tremendous intensity from Batley in the first half, but it was always going to be a big ask to maintain that over the 80 minutes. The penalty kicks looked a good decision at the time, but in retrospect Batley might have been better served to try and make hay while the sun was shining and get another couple of tries on the board.

Still, it was a cracking game and Batley more than played their part in that. Terrific support as well.

#7 olddoggy

olddoggy
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

Tremendous intensity from Batley in the first half, but it was always going to be a big ask to maintain that over the 80 minutes. The penalty kicks looked a good decision at the time, but in retrospect Batley might have been better served to try and make hay while the sun was shining and get another couple of tries on the board.

Still, it was a cracking game and Batley more than played their part in that. Terrific support as well.

I think the problem was that Batley came out in the second half determined to continue where they left off.   They won field position and pressed very hard for quite a while, showing great determination and urgency, but everything got a bit frenetic.  This resulted in penalties, poor decision-making and handling errors.  There was a demand for a cool head as well as energy and enthusuiasm. In other words, far from cracking under pressure, they actually tried a bit too hard.  Sheffield certainly upped the stakes but Batley also lost impetus with the errors.   I think the efforts of the last two or three weeks were certain to take their toll, particularly from a mental point of view.

Having said all that, it was a fantastic first half from the 'dogs and a season to make everyone at the club proud.  Well done lads, and thanks.

#8 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

Commiserations guys. Sheffield never got a sniff in the first 55 minutes, but then managed to get some possession and momentum with it. At that point, I suspect tiredness crept in and it was just one game too far, in an incredible end to the season.

Here's looking forward to our games next season - although I would prefer someone else, should we be fortunate enough to get to the play-offs!

#9 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,756 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:19 PM

I didn't get to see the game but have read a little about it. What I have read confirms my opinion that Sheffield are the most professionally coached team in the division, prepared to do the little things well and await their opportunities rather than press the panic button. They are helped by a couple of wise old heads particularly in the halves.

They are a benchmark and it is no shame whatsoever to be beaten by them.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#10 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

Looking forward to Mark's report.

Unfortunately, you might have a long wait for that. Decided not to take notes today so I could enjoy the game and do the report off Premier Sports. In keeping with the rest of the day however, my Sky box deemed it unecessary to record the game, so anything I do now will be purely from memory.

#11 kippaxbulldog

kippaxbulldog
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

It's repeated at 5.15 in the morning. Great 1st half, 2nd half too much panic as oppose to patience. If Black had of scored it would been disallowed for a knock on before Campbell got the ball. Although I think Thomason should have gone to the Bentham when Moore tried to score but lost the ball backwards IMO. Can't remember who picked it up and put it down over the try line, would have made it 18 0 to batley and possibly have won the game.

#12 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

Excellent first half and we lost our way and momentum in the second so it just swung to Sheffield who held their nerve and kept possession and the pressure. Have to say I really enjoyed the day the Bulldogs support and noise will stay with me for a long time. Well done to everyone in the dogs family

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#13 greensman01

greensman01
  • Coach
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Despite all the Dogs' pressure they had no one to zip the ball wide from the ruck in a couple of passes to give the Eagles the run around - just as Brambani did to us in a devastating 10 minute second half spell. Having panicked in attack the Dogs then panicked in defence (albeit with the help of some dubious decisions) and the game was gone. As said earlier, the Eagles didnt panic at all and simply stretched Batley one way with long passes and then the other with a couple of passes and a good kick - solid competent and well executed rugby league!!!!,

#14 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

I after agree thats exsactly what they did our problem is no one as a long cutout pass or aquick but we will c what the new recruits bring to the table . Fairy tale over but fantastic supporters hope people who came today come next season :-)

#15 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

Someone who I believe is one of your signings for next season was stood in the North Stand and will certainly help to shift the ball from dummy half.

#16 LINNERS

LINNERS
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

Go on then LM. . . .

#17 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

It showed me today what it means to play for batley i saw chris lythes mark barlow and imho one of the best number 6 or 7 ever to wear a batley shirt paul handsworth love him hate him he was a class act for batley . Says a lot when ex players turn up to support their old team great stuff .

#18 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

Yep saw Potter and John Gallagher (spelling?) Too

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#19 Morleydog

Morleydog
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

Alex Walmsley, Paul Storey and of course, Mark Scott.

#20 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 699 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

Dane Manning and Robinson were there too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users