Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Known facts about Sheffield

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

Think somebody needs to take a chill pill and think about the tremendous season we've had!! 

Its all down to opinion and whilst we may not agree with decisions made yesterday the recent weeks have definitely been the most enjoyable that I've experienced in the 8 years I've watched Batley 

So the question I'd put to the dogs faithful isl  " has JK given you the the best ever post war Batley team ?" - certainly they are the best in my memory.

#22 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Think you had two tough games prior to final Eagles had 9 days rest , thought you played very well, had Eagles rattled but they have 2 great strike players in Yere and QLT. And a complete idiot in Taulapapa, he did the same at Dewsbury, I just thought it was a one off then, obviously he needs to be shown error of his ways either by his club or RFL.

#23 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

So the question I'd put to the dogs faithful isl  " has JK given you the the best ever post war Batley team ?" - certainly they are the best in my memory.

So that covers pre-war too then GOR?

:tease:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#24 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

So that covers pre-war too then GOR?

:tease:

Et tu brute ? Well below the belt that BSJ - I'd have expected it from PM, but you .. :sclerosis: .   :shout:

#25 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

He's a numpite Tapupula is he offered all Dewsbury fans on behind stand after game he's got a short fuse

#26 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

He's a numpite Tapupula is he offered all Dewsbury fans on behind stand after game he's got a short fuse

Any takers ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#27 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

You need to read the laws of the game.  

The third is a penalty, whether or not the offside player is looking.  He got in the way of the ball, bad luck - it's still a penalty.  The touch judge told the referee that Walker threw the ball at him deliberately - he still gave a penalty.  That's the rule.

Maybe you should too Griff. This is taken from the RFL site's rules of the game...

Accidental off side...If the catcher deliberately and unnecessarily runs into the off side player then play should proceed.

Accidental off side Where the Referee is satisfied that interference with play by an off side player is accidental he should order a scrum. 

Walker deliberately passed the ball in to the Batley player, he picked the ball up from dummy half, looked at him, dummied, then looked at him again again and passed the ball at him deliberately, therefore it should have been a scrum.

The other shocker was Moore's half break on the Sheffield line, the ball came free backwards and the ref gave a scrum for a knock-on. Whatever the ref deemed to have happened there, it could not be a knock-on. Either Moore's ball carrying arm hit the floor and he passed it out, in which case it was a penalty to Sheffield. Or as the ref had not shouted held, then the pass was fair, (it definitely went backwards from Moore) and then it should have been play on and a try. But whatever else it was, there was no knock-on.

I'm not blaming the ref for the loss, he didn't help, we blew 3 or 4 chances to win the game, but we made the errors that cost us the game ultimately.

I still cannot understand why we had to have second rate officials for a game as big as this though? The RFL have professional Full-Time referees on the payroll, these are supposedly the best in game, there were no other games being played that day, so why on earth did we have second rate officials for a game of that magnitude?

Edited by DOGFATHER, 30 September 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#28 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

Well, the Championship final should also be for the best Championship officials in my opinion.Bringing in SL officials just wouldn't seem correct, once again in my opinion.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#29 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

i was hoping for a Batley win, hope you fans enjoyed the occasion. you deserved your day out

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#30 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Maybe you should too Griff. This is taken from the RFL site's rules of the game...

Accidental off side...If the catcher deliberately and unnecessarily runs into the off side player then play should proceed.

Accidental off side Where the Referee is satisfied that interference with play by an off side player is accidental he should order a scrum. 

The quote from Law 11 is ....

Accidental interference If the interference with play is accidental, a scrum should be formed. Interference should not be considered accidental when the player concerned has had opportunity to remove himself from the area in which play is taking place.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#31 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

I don't think so. I'd go for the side that played in the Lancashire League plus games against the top Yorkshire sides and contained the likes of Tommy Martyn, Stan Gittins and Phil Doyle plus two Yorkshire County shadow squad members in Holmes and Toohey. Others might go for the team that contained the likes of Storey, Gibson, the Wilson brothers, Scott and briefly Cunningham. Still others might favour the side that was second in the old second division and should have been promoted into division one but for the formation of Super League. Some real old timers might point to the 1952 squad that did the double over a strong Wigan outfit and reached the final of the Yorkshire Cup.

A reasonable debate mind, and we have certainly punched above our weight in recent seasons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users