Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

With the excitement of the 2013 season now behind us, what would you like to see from the Bulldogs in 2014?

Who would you like to see in the squad?

What do you expect to see? Bring the NRC back to the Mount? Another Grand Final? Breaking the Eagles oodoo?

What about off the field? Big sponsorship after such a good run in 2013? Ground development? Community work? More BISSA pledges?

I can't wait for Boxing Day!
SIGNATURE

#2 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 665 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

My hopes for next season on the field are that we maintain our league position in the top 5 next year to ensure a place in SL2. A good cup and playoff run would be great and you never know it could happen.

Off the field I would like to see bigger crowds. If half of those Batley supporters there at the GF turn up at the mount next season we will be able to compete with the "bigger" clubs financially.

An extra effort should be made to secure more sponsors for next season. The boards around the side of the pitch are cheap and they're there all year. I'm not sure how much Morley Waste pay as sponsors so I don't want to comment on weather or not we can get a better main sponsor.

Is it possible to start selling season tickets now? I was thinking that it might encourage fans who only came to a few games at the back end of the year to buy into the club for next season? Probably way off the mark but surely it can't hurt can it?

#3 kippaxbulldog

kippaxbulldog
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

I couldn't get there yesterday due to work but amazes me that batley get to a final and all these so called fans come out of the woodwork, same at the NRC final. If they came to some games during the season we could afford better players and possibly push the top two.

Should be pushing for the top three next season if we can cut out losing to the lower sides. I would also like to break the Sheffield hoo doo.

#4 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

What do you think could be done to entice the glory supporters?
SIGNATURE

#5 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

Unfortunately, this debate has gone on forever about fairweather fans. And probably not just at our club, either. These are the same people sat in the Union Rooms et al at 4pm asking the score as the "real" fans file in after the game. I wish I had an answer.

As for 2014 - the real goal is a strong finishing position to ensure that we are in position to take advantage of whatever structure the RFL finally decide on. Personally, I'd like to see us finish in the top 4 and win the NRC. I'd also like to see Applegarth get a full season injury free and a double over those mangy Eagles. That'd do for me!

#6 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

I too look forward to see Applegarth back playing.  He brings that extra strength to the pack.

Another one I'd like to see stay at Batley is George Flanagan.  Is his a done deal at Featherstone?  Out of the four players linked with them, he's the one I'd rather keep.  Although the Gareth Moore from 'the business end of the season' really was a star! 

SIGNATURE

#7 Kiddzyy69

Kiddzyy69
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

I too look forward to see Applegarth back playing.  He brings that extra strength to the pack.

Another one I'd like to see stay at Batley is George Flanagan.  Is his a done deal at Featherstone?  Out of the four players linked with them, he's the one I'd rather keep.  Although the Gareth Moore from 'the business end of the season' really was a star!

Yep,George to fev is done. After the game on Sunday when the players came back to the club he was saying its a 2year deal,they offered him a little more than we could so he had to take but he will be back at batley he said.

#8 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

Thats a shame if true as id live to have kept George, and maybe if he'd hung on he may have got the same offer here with the grand final winnings sure to swell the coffers.

We should be aiming to kick on from this and go one better next year and win the GF. teams may finally class us as a genuine threat and not just "little old Batley" as they usually do,

Hope the club also continue the great work on improving the ground - it really is one of the best in the league.

Plenty to look forward to and get excited about - shame its 5 months off before the real stuff starts again!
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#9 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

Yep,George to fev is done. After the game on Sunday when the players came back to the club he was saying its a 2year deal,they offered him a little more than we could so he had to take but he will be back at batley he said.

Bidding for players before the season's over is a load of rubbish.  Just look what BTJ just said about the Grand Final money.  It's a valid point, and I'm sure Mr Flanagan would have been high up on JK's list of keepers.

SIGNATURE

#10 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

I wonder what the club will do with its windfall?

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

I wonder what the club will do with its windfall?

A fair bit generally goes on players' wages.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

What would you prefer? Getting more expensive players in or maybe spend some on the ground?
SIGNATURE

#13 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

I think the infastructure of the club is vital. Once you start to ignore that then more problems arise. Some of the money should be spent on a new scoreboard imo

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#14 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 665 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

I agree. There's no point overspending this year if we can't sustain it next year. KN knows what he's doing I'm sure he wouldn't gamble the clubs future in that way.

Scoreboard and ground development should be high on the list

#15 ginaldo

ginaldo
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

nowt wrong with scoreboard weve got

#16 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

nowt wrong with scoreboard weve got

no you are right.. nowt wrong with it but we need to get into the 21st century ... electronic is the way forward ,which depending on what kind it is can be used for advertisng and announcements as well... even Cov Bears in NCL have got an electronic  scoreboard

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#17 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Unfortunately, this debate has gone on forever about fairweather fans. And probably not just at our club, either. These are the same people sat in the Union Rooms et al at 4pm asking the score as the "real" fans file in after the game. I wish I had an answer.

As for 2014 - the real goal is a strong finishing position to ensure that we are in position to take advantage of whatever structure the RFL finally decide on. Personally, I'd like to see us finish in the top 4 and win the NRC. I'd also like to see Applegarth get a full season injury free and a double over those mangy Eagles. That'd do for me!

I think most of the extra fans at finals have little or no interest in sport whatsoever....Girlfriends..boyfriends..wives and husbands of true supporters tag on purely for the day out; I know this cos my wife has joined me in big games at Fev; She hardly understands the game and indeed has no intentions of wanting to understand it and I reckon about a thousand or more that tagged on with the Batley fans feel the same; For many its just a day out with their partners;

#18 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

I think most of the extra fans at finals have little or no interest in sport whatsoever....Girlfriends..boyfriends..wives and husbands of true supporters tag on purely for the day out; I know this cos my wife has joined me in big games at Fev; She hardly understands the game and indeed has no intentions of wanting to understand it and I reckon about a thousand or more that tagged on with the Batley fans feel the same; For many its just a day out with their partners;

Your right Phil, my wife nearly went to the final and she hates rugby, the promise of all day boozing appealed.

#19 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

The "Extra" fans who did turn up at the LSV certainly made some noise...the dogs end was rocking!

#20 phildog

phildog
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Re; the Flanagan debate, there are 2 ways of looking at this. He left us once to get more money at Dewsbury, even after we'd backed him up in his court case, came back for 1 season and is now going off again in search of more money. So, therefore is he the kind of player you can bet your shirt on, like Danny Maun and Byron Smith who are committed and faithful? On the other hand, do we need a player who for however long he hangs around can change a game or give the team a kick-on? For George to say 'great, I've got a great financial deal for 2 years, but I'll be back' is a bit of a kick in the rump IMO, as it says that he'll come back in 2 years when he might not be the player he is now, and just fancies an easy back end of career ride at Batley. As mentioned above, and could apply to several others, their offers were made at a point in the season when the team appeared to be losing its' way, and it clearly turned one or two fans into doubting the abilities and reasoning of some players. Had all clubs been like Batley and been diplomatic and courteous about their dealings, announcements wouldn't have been made, then would have come our resurgence, our appearance in a final, and who knows some of those players may have been left wondering what was their best move, to go or stay. I'm sure the board would have been able to offer better money to one or two lynchpins and got them to stay. Similarly, I hope the prize-money is used in some part to bring in a couple of players who might have been out of our reach prior, without putting too much stress on the finances which may be earmarked for other works. What a windfall eh, but with all the problems it can bring in knowing the best way to spend it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users