Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Now The Dust Has Settled...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

After yesterdays disapointment, and having time to to reflect on all things Oldham RLFC, maybe it could be a blessing in disguise in not going up.

With the shake ups and make ups of the divisions next season, it will look like 4 teams will be relegated back down to Championship 1. Like fellow posters have put, the step up to the Championship is a big one, and one that would need massive investment on and off the field. Personally, I see many clubs will struggle with performance on the pitch, but in order to survive in the league, having to make a massive gamble financially - which will break some clubs AGAIN. If Oldham had of gone up, we would of coped, and confident that we would of recruited well, and with our small budget would it be enough? In addition without over relying on players coming in for a week at a time from Salford, similar to what some clubs have done, thus losing your clubs identity?

Add to the factor that the RFL have history on changing the golaposts for the game, no one can be sure exactly what will happen in both divsions outside SL. 

For me its simple. You get behind your home team, win, lose or draw, and if we had the following of yesterday at Whitebank every home game, then things would be so much different. But its easy to blame one person, and a person that most have never met, or even have spoken to.

Not one player nor one club member wanted to lose yesterday, and everyone is gutted beyond belief, none more so than CH. We were beaten by a better side on the day, and even though it was our dear old rivals, Rochdale, I wish them well for next year.

#2 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

I agree with what you say Oldhamer. There are a number of unknowns at the moment: although the new structure has been mooted it hasn't been confirmed 100% , then there's the koukash scenario! ? Where we will be in a years time we can't be sure. On the day Rochdale were the better team, over the season though they weren't, the league table shows that.

#3 Through Thick and Thin

Through Thick and Thin
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

Well said Oldhamer great posting! Agree with everything said. Lots of if onlys this season especially the last minute try at Gateshead by North Wales. It literally was that close.......

#4 m brooksy

m brooksy
  • Coach
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

This defeat will take some getting over. Can't fault the players or the coaches. They've been great and couldn't have put in more effort than they have.

Unfortunately we are likely to lose our best players once again (Lepori, Files, Palfrey and Ford) due to not going up . Hopefully the coaches find some more gems like this year but it will be even tougher to gain promotion with York and Hunslet coming down.

#5 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 943 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

Good positive post there Oldhamer. In response to the concerns by Brooksy on the players,Ford and Files are more than likely to be here next season, one of the remaining two has already signed last wed, but has asked us not to say anything till its announced. We have signed Danny Whitmore for next season, so we will be stronger in the Half backs .

I have to agree in the statement about Hornets, they were the better side in the game, the Experience of Hough, English and Langley will have served them well. 

I'm proud of what a young squad has achieved this season under a new dynamic and forward thinking coach, who told us on Saturday, he's turned down offers from other bigger clubs to stay with us. 

The down side now ? No rugby for 5 months. Roll on March, I'm ready ready ready already.

Up the Yeds

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

After yesterdays disapointment, and having time to to reflect on all things Oldham RLFC, maybe it could be a blessing in disguise in not going up.

With the shake ups and make ups of the divisions next season, it will look like 4 teams will be relegated back down to Championship 1. Like fellow posters have put, the step up to the Championship is a big one, and one that would need massive investment on and off the field. Personally, I see many clubs will struggle with performance on the pitch, but in order to survive in the league, having to make a massive gamble financially - which will break some clubs AGAIN. If Oldham had of gone up, we would of coped, and confident that we would of recruited well, and with our small budget would it be enough? In addition without over relying on players coming in for a week at a time from Salford, similar to what some clubs have done, thus losing your clubs identity?

Add to the factor that the RFL have history on changing the golaposts for the game, no one can be sure exactly what will happen in both divsions outside SL. 

For me its simple. You get behind your home team, win, lose or draw, and if we had the following of yesterday at Whitebank every home game, then things would be so much different. But its easy to blame one person, and a person that most have never met, or even have spoken to.

Not one player nor one club member wanted to lose yesterday, and everyone is gutted beyond belief, none more so than CH. We were beaten by a better side on the day, and even though it was our dear old rivals, Rochdale, I wish them well for next year.

We were told last week at the Skolar's game by a member of the RFL, that 5 teams are likely to be relegated next year and it could be in the clubs best interest not to get promoted until next year? Mind you I would have sooner have won yesterday than go through the loss of another grand final again, we must be close to the Guiness book of records now for losses/

But good luck to Hornets the better team on the day, just hope they are not facing relegation next year because I am sure we will be coming to get you.

#7 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

Good positive post there Oldhamer. In response to the concerns by Brooksy on the players,Ford and Files are more than likely to be here next season, one of the remaining two has already signed last wed, but has asked us not to say anything till its announced. We have signed Danny Whitmore for next season, so we will be stronger in the Half backs .

I have to agree in the statement about Hornets, they were the better side in the game, the Experience of Hough, English and Langley will have served them well. 

I'm proud of what a young squad has achieved this season under a new dynamic and forward thinking coach, who told us on Saturday, he's turned down offers from other bigger clubs to stay with us. 

The down side now ? No rugby for 5 months. Roll on March, I'm ready ready ready already.

Up the Yeds

Got to agree with everything here I know we were all very disappointed yesterday but truthfully if anyone had said at the beginning of the season with a squad of young guys like ours we would challenge for automatic promotion or even reach the grand final you would have called them mad.

Well done to all concerned you gave us a great season with some great entertainment.

I know who has signed and highly delighted, no names.

Don't forget Hornets also had  an established St Helen's full time first teamer playing  for them in Greenwood. and he caused his fair share of problems for us as well.

#8 Logic

Logic
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

Great post 'oldhamer'.

On the day Rochdale won fair and square in a one-off Final for their right to promotion, based on the RFL deciding that the second promotion spot goes to the winners rather than to the runners-up in the league. However, our league position confirms how well our young team have developed and performed this season and they have certainly surpassed early season expectations. Congratulations to them all for their dedication and commitment, also to the coaching staff who selected a group of talented players, brought them together and prepared them for the challenges of the season. Onward and upward! 

Que sera, sera.

#9 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Got to agree with everything here I know we were all very disappointed yesterday but truthfully if anyone had said at the beginning of the season with a squad of young guys like ours we would challenge for automatic promotion or even reach the grand final you would have called them mad.

Well done to all concerned you gave us a great season with some great entertainment.

I know who has signed and highly delighted, no names.

Don't forget Hornets also had  an established St Helen's full time first teamer playing  for them in Greenwood. and he caused his fair share of problems for us as well.

Joe Greenwood's 19 and he's played 15 games for us this season. Saints have 'borrowed' him back off us a couple of times. It's not quite the same as drafting in a Super League veteran for the final.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#10 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

I know hindsight's a wonderful thing, but I've just read in the Manchester Evening News report on the game that Chris Hough contacted Kevin Sinfield to ask him to come and give a pep talk to his team on what it takes to win play off finals and, according to Houghie, it helped them relax in the build up to the final. It clearly worked as Hornets appeared to be far more composed and in charge for long periods during the game. After all our disappointments in finals, why did no one at the club have the idea of doing something similar. It's not a normal game (the players know that) and you can't treat it as such. Anything that gives you even the slightest edge has got to be worth looking at. The final's gone now but this is surely food for thought in the future. And anyone thinking that Kevin's a traitor to his home town, just consider this - if we didn't ask him, why shouldn't he accede to Hornets' request. More fool us.

#11 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

I know hindsight's a wonderful thing, but I've just read in the Manchester Evening News report on the game that Chris Hough contacted Kevin Sinfield to ask him to come and give a pep talk to his team on what it takes to win play off finals and, according to Houghie, it helped them relax in the build up to the final. It clearly worked as Hornets appeared to be far more composed and in charge for long periods during the game. After all our disappointments in finals, why did no one at the club have the idea of doing something similar. It's not a normal game (the players know that) and you can't treat it as such. Anything that gives you even the slightest edge has got to be worth looking at. The final's gone now but this is surely food for thought in the future. And anyone thinking that Kevin's a traitor to his home town, just consider this - if we didn't ask him, why shouldn't he accede to Hornets' request. More fool us.

Did he come and talk to Hornets 'cause they were Rochdale or because he's good mates with Houghy? They both played together at Waterhead in their school days, in fact I think there's a team photo from the 90's of them both in the U 16's Lancashire cup final on the wall of the bar. Chris Hough had hair in them days.

He used to also be a regular visitor to Spotland when Ian played for us.

Edited by PooingDog, 30 September 2013 - 05:17 PM.

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#12 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

We did that the last time we got to the final.

#13 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

Personally, I see many clubs will struggle with performance on the pitch, but in order to survive in the league, having to make a massive gamble financially - which will break some clubs AGAIN.. 

Please can you give us some insight and tell which clubs you personally know will be broken 'AGAIN', by being in the Championship next year?

The 4 that got promoted last year seem to have survived their first season.

Regards 7

#14 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

Lots of if onlys this season especially the last minute try at Gateshead by North Wales. It literally was that close.......

But it could have also been so far if we are talking last minute try's  ;),'swings and roundabouts' as the saying goes.

http://www.roughyeds...36-2/#more-9334

It really was a close and exciting end to the season and imho opinion the yeds should have been promoted by right. Best wishes for next season.

Regards 7

#15 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

And it will be tougher next year as they fight to beat the drop of four, especially on the crowd levels we see week in, week out in both divisions beneath SL.
How will Sheffield fair with no home? How much damage financially has it affected Swinton playing at the LSV? Rochdale like NW will have to increase their wage bills to compete, and especially with Hornets, they need to increase their support to levels that can justify the expense . NW could do ok, and have the potential to increase their support base in Wrexham on a solid foundation built this year. It's going to be tough on all clubs in both divisions next year, and there could be casualties.

#16 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

Best wishes fro next season from a North Wales Cru fan.  Although Whitebank doesn't have much to offer in the way of facilities it has great people who support their team  - and it the people in the club that are the thing that makes it special.  You'll all be bitterly disappointed with the defeat, particularly as it was Hornets but you'll be there at the top of the league next season.  Keep the faith.

#17 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

Did he come and talk to Hornets 'cause they were Rochdale or because he's good mates with Houghy? They both played together at Waterhead in their school days, in fact I think there's a team photo from the 90's of them both in the U 16's Lancashire cup final on the wall of the bar. Chris Hough had hair in them days.

He used to also be a regular visitor to Spotland when Ian played for us.

Chris Hough with hair ! No I'm not having that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users