WAS IT A DREAM ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

I have waited a day before making this post. I just wanted to wake upon Monday and realise that Sunday was NOT a dream.

I was proud to sit with supporters who for a lifetime have watched the Nets promise so much but never deliver. Tears filled the eye at the final whistle. The unbelievable is now a reality.

Where do we start with the plaudits? To the players who to a man were superb. To the coaching staff who have suffered criticism during the season. To the Board who have taken stick all season. To the loyal but small fan base that has declined over the years worn down by the lack of success. Everyone has played their part. Well done to everyone.

Next season will be a very different proposition. It will be a massive step up in standards. But that is the challenge to be taken up.

I just hope that the Rochdale Observer gives the lads the column inches that this win deserves but I will hold my breath on that one.

To all those who made the trip over to Leigh just remember that in years to come you can say

“I WAS THERE”  

What next. Well I for one will be at Spotland to support Rochdale’s second team “Fiji” in the World Cup.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS HORNETS

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#2 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

There is still one last match for Hornets this season, Saturday 19th October when we take on Fiji.Lets get up to Denhurst Park Stadium and make it a big celebration of this season.We will also get to see a cracking rugby league match to.

Must echo the comments from above a big thank you to all the players,coaching staff,directors,staff and the fans who have supported our great club over the last season.Yesterday made all those long trips worth while.

The hard work starts here for next season,we all need to pull together and get season tickets, sponsorship, memberships or just turn up on the day lets back our club in any way we can.

Edited by boro hornet, 30 September 2013 - 04:35 PM.

Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#3 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

There is still one last match for Hornets this season, Sunday 20th October when we take on Fiji.Lets get up to Denhurst Park Stadium and make it a big celerbration of this season.We will also get to see a cracking rugby league match to.

Must echo the coments from above a big thank you to all the players,coaching staff,directors,staff and the fans who have supported our great club over the last season.Yesterday made all those long trips worth while.

The hard work starts here for next season,we all need to pull together and get season tickets, sponsorship, memberships or just turn up on the day lets back our club in any way we can.

That's the second time I've seen you refer to Spotland as Denehurst Park Stadium. What's going on? Why?

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#4 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

Thats the name of the stadium , we all still call it Spotland including me just trying to give the place its correct title.
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#5 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

Thats the name of the stadium , we all still call it Spotland including me just trying to give the place its correct title.

I think you're p1ssssing in to the wind there BH.

I've just heard Houghy has retired and had to have several pain killing injections during the game.

Thanks for everything you brought to Hornets and the game yesterday, not least your enthusiasm. Top man.

It's always a sad day when a player hangs up his boots but at least it was a dream ending. Good luck.

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#6 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

Got to agree with Big Doug. A great effort by everybody all season not forgetting the players who didn't make the squad yesterday. I've waited a long time for this having had many disappointments starting with a Lancashire Cup Final loss in 1965 to Warrington.

Not a weak link on Sunday. Every player had a good game and we made few errors. I think that the completion rate must have been very high. A big thanks to all concerned.

Next year will be difficult and we will play some good teams but it will be great to have fixtures against Swinton, Batley, Dewsbury etc. again. A lot of hard work lies before us but I would rather have this challenge than not have the chance. Obviously I will miss playing Oldham and also seeing the Gateshead fans who are true supporters but at least not many long trips now.

#7 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

Got to agree with Big Doug. A great effort by everybody all season not forgetting the players who didn't make the squad yesterday. I've waited a long time for this having had many disappointments starting with a Lancashire Cup Final loss in 1965 to Warrington.

Not a weak link on Sunday. Every player had a good game and we made few errors. I think that the completion rate must have been very high. A big thanks to all concerned.

Next year will be difficult and we will play some good teams but it will be great to have fixtures against Swinton, Batley, Dewsbury etc. again. A lot of hard work lies before us but I would rather have this challenge than not have the chance. Obviously I will miss playing Oldham and also seeing the Gateshead fans who are true supporters but at least not many long trips now.

That was my first game Pedro.  Graham Starkey was my teacher and he gave all who wanted them complimentary tickets and I was hooked.  Since that game I have seen a few ups and many, many downs but yesterday was THE proudest moment of my life as far as sport is concerned.

Rochdale Hornets are WINNERS, say it out loud, it's nothing to be embarrassed about, we are WINNERS.  There were two prizes in our division this season, the N.W.C. got the ultimate prize of being crowned champions and being promoted as of right but then the play-offs decided the other promoted club and we WON!!!!!  Pretty close at times, 2 points against London and 1 against the Biffs, but in knockout rugby that's all that counts.  Then to win by 14 yesterday which is as big a margin as all the other non-Law Cup games put together I think?

I genuinely feel for the Oldham speccys, after 4 failures they must have thought this one would be their day in the sun but lets consider they may get the booby prize of Marvin 'Loadsamoney' Koolkash taking them over if 'Elton' can give him a decko at the books, should make interesting reading that little lot!

It's now up to all the people who were at the game yesterday to join up and help the club to stay in this new division, we need your cash.

Incidentally, sorry Phil, but you can join for as little as £20 and your cash helps us to flourish!!!

Pugwash.

Edited by Pugwash, 30 September 2013 - 01:22 PM.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#8 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Brilliant day, great performance, congratulations to ALL.

Also a word for the officials who let them play and both teams for a clean well fought battle. Cannot comment on the video calls since I didnt see them - looked odd from my seat but the general opinion seems to be they were good calls. Lets hope Oldham can survive next year and join us. They deserve to be in a proper rugby league competition.

One quick note, might be worth putting the marketing efforts into selling match tickets as opposed to harping on about the membership stuff. It is and will continue to be divisive and two match admissions is more than one membership.

Lets not rely only on season tickets - offer a modest discout on 3 or 4 game packs before the season, get as much do ray me off people before the first game.

#9 StarfireHypervixen

StarfireHypervixen
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

Membership will only be a divisive issue while you make it one. Everyone here knows what you think, so why keep repeating yourself?

Pugwash, isn't wrong, and you make a good point regarding admission. Why not just let it lie. For my part, I've spent a few quid with the club, the details of which are not important.

I was well pleased to watch the lads lift that trophy, and gain promotion.

With that will come the hard work needed to maintain a Championship club, not least of which will be raising enough money to keep the wolf from the door, All avenues, should, and no doubt will be explored.

Well done everyone on the victory on Sunday, and good luck in the Championship, May you stay there until you're ready for Super League :training: :superblue:

Living life in such a way, that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan says "Oh *@$^! She's awake!"

#10 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:45 PM

I have just watched the match again on tv for the third time. It gets better each time.
The only other comment on the game was that I think that John Cookson's first disallowed try by the video ref was a try. There was no double movement, his arm did not touch the ground and he grounded the ball.
The other issue was Oldhams try just after half time from the cross field kick. The video ref failed to see the offside at the kick. Every Hornets fan saw it as we were right in line with the play as it happened.
What can I do now?
I think I might watch the game again.

#11 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

A good coverage by the Observer in Wednsdays edition with more to come on Saturday.

#12 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

Revenge is a dish best served cold.The 2001 semi final at Spotland "That Game" when we went down in the last minute, has been repaid. Pat Rich 9 out of 9 penalties awarded by Ganson.

#13 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

Revenge is a dish best served cold.The 2001 semi final at Spotland "That Game" when we went down in the last minute, has been repaid. Pat Rich 9 out of 9 penalties awarded by Ganson.

I couldn't agree more Mick. I remember Mrs Shoelaces and myself leaving the main stand and just sitting in our car. We sat there for a good quarter of an hour with speaking ! Quite an achievement for Mrs Shoelaces. Then we went back into the bar for a good drink. I had nightmares about that game for years after. It's the only time in professional sport that I've thought something fishy was going on. I remember years later speaking to a guy who played for Oldham that day and he said he couldn't understand the penalty count that day either.

It wouldn't have done for one of the finalists to have been playing at home would it ? When the venue was decided upon we were nowhere in the running but then we went on a fabulous run of form.

I did go to the final and Pat Rich was as bad against Widnes as he had been good against us.

Anyway on to happier issues. How good was that on Sunday. Every element of our Club was on top form in the run up to the Final. I was at the handing over of the players shirts during the week and you could see from the players attitude and demeanour they meant business. A little thank you here to Kevin Sinfield for taking the time out to give our guys the benefit of his experience of big games. Could you see a footballer doing that ? The players, the coach, the behind the scenes team, all of them never put a foot wrong. It was great to see. The after party at The Flying Horse showed an unbelievable level of togetherness and team spirit. No wonder we played so well on the day.

Tol, Houghy and the other members of the coaching staff must take credit for this, the level of respect and affection shown towards them after the game was inspiring. Our much maligned Board should also take a bow for unconditionally sticking with the coaching staff through some thin times when we were continually on the road mid season. This issue needs to be grasped if we're to give ourselves a sporting chance next season.

I've just been down and paid for two season tickets, roll on the Law Cup.

Finally just a word of sympathy to our rivals. It takes two teams to make a great game and their boys gave it their best shot, we just had a bit more in the tank at the end. You'd have to a heart of stone not to feel for them after another final defeat. As I was leaving the stadium with my wife and grandson an Oldham fan came over, shook our hands and congratulated us. That couldn't have been an easy thing to do,
Let's hope we're both playing at our recently achieved higher level before too long.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 01 October 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#14 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

Congratulations on the victory guys it was deserved on the day and i went up n shook hands and congratulated Houghy and crook well done

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users