Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Signings / departures for 2014

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

So now the dust is settling on a tremendous season, when do we get to officially find out whos leaving and whos coming in for next season?

Would be nice to end the speculation - on the back of Sunday a few announcements would keep the buzz going.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#2 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

Watch this space.

#3 London Dick

London Dick
  • Coach
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

I'm re-signing when season tickets go on sale.
"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

#4 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

Joe Chandler, Sam Scott, don't know anymore

#5 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Joe Chandler, Sam Scott, don't know anymore

Vinnie Finegan according to shef site.

#6 phildog

phildog
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Leatherbarrow, Nicholson, Manning, Ashall all rumoured or more or less confirmed depending on which club website or RL paper you read. Knowing JK he will also have scouted round the leagues for a couple good amateurs as well. Out are Potts, Walton, Johnson, (rumours that Walton and Johnson could be loaned back, on the say so of Johnson himself) Moore, Mennell, Flanagan, Hirst, Walmsley, Whitmore. Maun's retirement is rumoured to be on hold but not neccesarily re-signing for us, waiting for news on Bretherton (rumoured to say yes) and Lindsey, think that just about covers all eventualities!! If I've missed any names somebody please fill in!!

#7 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 638 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

Bretherton told me sunday night he has signed for us again, I also spoke to danny and he doesnt think he can continue at this level. His body is asking too many questions of him is what he said. Spoke to Ash on sunday also and he told me that he had been offered a contract but its not as good as he was hoping for but if he will not sign for another club. if he doesnt sign for batley he will call it a day.

Out of those named above I would love to see Dane Manning back at the mount but I wont hold my breath.

#8 Mark B

Mark B
  • Coach
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

Leatherbarrow, Nicholson, Manning, Ashall all rumoured or more or less confirmed depending on which club website or RL paper you read. Knowing JK he will also have scouted round the leagues for a couple good amateurs as well. Out are Potts, Walton, Johnson, (rumours that Walton and Johnson could be loaned back, on the say so of Johnson himself) Moore, Mennell, Flanagan, Hirst, Walmsley, Whitmore. Maun's retirement is rumoured to be on hold but not neccesarily re-signing for us, waiting for news on Bretherton (rumoured to say yes) and Lindsey, think that just about covers all eventualities!! If I've missed any names somebody please fill in!!

Dane Manning are you having a laugh ? He would have to take a ridiculous paycut and that isn't going to happen , apart from the fact he has 1 year left at Halifax on his contract .

As for Ashall , no chance putting it simple he is not good enough . Im sure we will be ok in the forwards but I would like us to sign a classy ball handling centre more than anything , with Walton going Danny etc we are short there most definitely .

IMO we would have beat Sheffield sunday if we had QLT and Menzie Yere they made the difference , we have done amazingly well on a peanuts budget to get where we are so if its not broke don't fix it and carry on with the restrictions we work with , Fev , Leigh etc spent a lot and didn't make the final .

John Kear is the coach next year and that is by far the most important signing we will make as far as I am concerned .

Edited by Mark B, 01 October 2013 - 03:32 PM.

Posted Image

#9 phildog

phildog
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

Suggestion was that Manning didn't want to give up his job as Halifax were reportedly going full-time next year, so he was coming back to batley. Don't know about his contract situation at Halifax but if the original story is true, then that can obviously be sorted.

#10 phildog

phildog
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

Also heard from reliable source that Ashall IS coming, another source says Paterson also, but the first source said he was going to Dewsbury, as is Tom Hemingway, a name I missed off my original list. Regarding which site and/or source you choose to believe, you pays your money,you takes your choice!! The only time we will know for sure is when club puts it up...soon??

#11 phildog

phildog
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

have scoured eagles official site and their forum,can't see Finnegan mentioned anywhere, doesn't mean it's not true, nor does it mean that it is!!

#12 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

As I said earlier, news will start appearing on the website shortly. Very shortly.

#13 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Some of the rumours on here sound straight out of cloud cuckoo land, btw!!

#14 Mark B

Mark B
  • Coach
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

Also heard from reliable source that Ashall IS coming, another source says Paterson also, but the first source said he was going to Dewsbury, as is Tom Hemingway, a name I missed off my original list. Regarding which site and/or source you choose to believe, you pays your money,you takes your choice!! The only time we will know for sure is when club puts it up...soon??

Exactly ! Work it out though if Halifax are going full time why are the players who they are rumoured to have signed from us not giving up there jobs ? Dane Manning , Ashall and Patterson will not be at Batley in 2014 . I'm sure we will announce whoever we may have signed in due course and I'm sure John Kear will work his magic again !! The word reliable source I would use loosely
Posted Image

#15 Ackropj

Ackropj
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Exactly ! Work it out though if Halifax are going full time why are the players who they are rumoured to have signed from us not giving up there jobs ? Dane Manning , Ashall and Patterson will not be at Batley in 2014 . I'm sure we will announce whoever we may have signed in due course and I'm sure John Kear will work his magic again !! The word reliable source I would use loosely

I,m not sure about Manning, I dont know if he is still under contract but i would not let him go if it was up to me, Patterson definatly gone and i believe that to be to dewsbury along with Craig Ashall and Anthony Thackery, there is always Karl Ashall who is also being released.

Add to this i have no idea where all this going full time stuff is coming from, are we still not operating on a £300 k salary cap ?. if so then 17 players full time would only get £17,647 full time wage, just aint going to happen is it. Anyone who is going full time in the Championship next year is in clear breach of salary cap regulations.

#16 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

What if these players have other roles within the club and are getting the 17000 just for playing I think the full time players are just going to be at the clubs all day and not just training but we will see

#17 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

What if these players have other roles within the club and are getting the 17000 just for playing I think the full time players are just going to be at the clubs all day and not just training but we will see

Measurement of the salary cap within the Championship is much more flexible than in SL, mainly due to the fact that players have other earnings outside of the club (sounds like the days of broken-time doesn't it?). The fact that a club might pay certain players as full-time employees doesn't make this any more straightforward to monitor.

On the other hand I can't see how or why any club would go full-time next season but could understand why they might wish to in 2015.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#18 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

Measurement of the salary cap within the Championship is much more flexible than in SL, mainly due to the fact that players have other earnings outside of the club (sounds like the days of broken-time doesn't it?). The fact that a club might pay certain players as full-time employees doesn't make this any more straightforward to monitor.

On the other hand I can't see how or why any club would go full-time next season but could understand why they might wish to in 2015.

I was thinking "broken record" BSJ :lol:

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#19 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Next season is very important as I beleave if you finish in the top 4 you will get more money than the rest of the teams in the league

#20 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 764 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:28 PM

Everyone needs stop worrying about annoucing the signings just wait until after the presentation evening and people have a few weeks off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users