Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Batley imports

Are they necessary

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#41 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

I was thinking more of Flanaghan and Ellis. Think Moore was coming in for Finn but as we know Finn didn't want to leave so we will have to see

Yes there's a few possibilities , depends what JB has got in mind , I just heard about that combination last week from someone and thought it was a viable option , but wel see , new ideas , new coach may be one or two surprises .

#42 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

Finn to be back-up for Moore surely!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#43 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Finn to be back-up for Moore surely!

Moore will have alot to learn to read the game like Finn does

#44 BirstallDog

BirstallDog
  • Coach
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

A message to the the Fev supporters who I spoke to behind the posts.

I really hope you will continue watching Featherstone next season..after signing "Rubbish"

I told you so.... :tongue:

#45 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

I too think Moore and Ellis will rotate at hooker , Kain and Finn 6/7 . Is Briggsy staying ?

Think Briggs is under contract until 2014

#46 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Think Briggs is under contract until 2014

Cheers , be nice to see him back fit next season

#47 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

I just cannot understand the reasoning behind the Batley imports. If Kear is willing to let the nucleus of his team leave, what have we to gain from the exercise?.

No better than the players we have IMO. Okay, Hirst had a reasonable game in the final but I am afraid that for the bulk of the season, he has not been punching his weight.

#48 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

I really don't think its a case of kear willing to let they go, he simply had no hope of keeping them. Why would a player turn down bigger money, longer contracts, new facilities, bigger crowds and at a club that are successful and going places. its not really a hard choice I wouldn't have thought.

Exactly

#49 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

john kear's a canny bloke. he may be taking more DR players from huddersfield, which could be a cheaper option. i think Batley have proved over the years that they are always able to compete. they lost quite a few players last year, but they didn't do too badly this season.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#50 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

I really don't think its a case of kear willing to let they go, he simply had no hope of keeping them. Why would a player turn down bigger money, longer contracts, new facilities, bigger crowds and at a club that are successful and going places. its not really a hard choice I wouldn't have thought.

Sorry, just not enough talent IMO. At the risk of repeating myself, no better than what we have.and we certainly do not want players coming along for an easy ride.

#51 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:57 AM

Sorry, just not enough talent IMO. At the risk of repeating myself, no better than what we have.and we certainly do not want players coming along for an easy ride.

A different challenge , a different coaching style and also playing around different players can bring out the best in individual players , so I think JB will know what he's recruiting , and what he expects of them . So to say that the new signings are no better than what we already have is a bit presumptuous at this stage IMO .

#52 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

A different challenge , a different coaching style and also playing around different players can bring out the best in individual players , so I think JB will know what he's recruiting , and what he expects of them . So to say that the new signings are no better than what we already have is a bit presumptuous at this stage IMO .

I quite agree. It is what an individual brings to the team that matters. Sometimes the team is greater than it's individual parts. If what Saddleworth says is considtent, there would be no point in any teams turning up against those above them. What would eb the point of SL teams taking on Championship players?

Presumptiousness and a little arrogance to argue that point that players should only come from better teams! Finn hasn't turned out so bad and I remember one or two on here saying he wasn't good enough for you.

#53 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

Presumptiousness and a little arrogance to argue that point that players should only come from better teams!

Where in this thread has anyone said that Fev players should only come from better teams? This just comes across as an excuse to label Fev fans as arrogant.
I have mixed feelings about the Batley quartet, because I've seen them play plenty of times. Flanagan I think will do a good job, but the other three I am less convinced about, though open-minded. And that's because of which players they are, not which club they come from. I'd be much more enthusiastic, for instance, about John Davies. And I think Matty Nicholson - who has come from one of the relegated teams - is a fantastic signing.

#54 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

Where in this thread has anyone said that Fev players should only come from better teams? This just comes across as an excuse to label Fev fans as arrogant.
I have mixed feelings about the Batley quartet, because I've seen them play plenty of times. Flanagan I think will do a good job, but the other three I am less convinced about, though open-minded. And that's because of which players they are, not which club they come from. I'd be much more enthusiastic, for instance, about John Davies. And I think Matty Nicholson - who has come from one of the relegated teams - is a fantastic signing.

agree 100%.
Like you I've seen the 'gang of four' play many times, often as a neutral when objectivity is much more likely.
Flanagan I'm excited about. The other three I will wait n see, pretty much as I did with liam, bossy, ingy etc etc.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#55 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

..And then we've got to understand that we were fortunate to beat Batley in both our league matches..and then lo and behold they were allowed to come back from 18-0 down in a semi final of the play-offs..not bad players then in my mind;

#56 Terry Chimes

Terry Chimes
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

Your new Coach was sat just in front of me when we played Rovers at the Mount, which was Daryll Powell's final game.The rumours started about signing these four signing for Rovers after this, so I am assuming they were targeted on the back of this one game.

I did ask myself the question at the time if any of them would strengthen arguably the strongest overall squad in the division and the answer would be yes with Flangan, not really with Moore and Hurst and not at all with Walmsley (who did have a stormer in the mentioned game).

Flanagans eye for a gap from the play the ball and speed of execution are outstanding and he'd bring something to the table for every team in the league. On the flip side his uncontrollable impulse to go it alone if the ruck if less than 10 meters out, can infuriate.

Hirst is a very large human being and i'd say is on a par with anyone you have at the moment.

Gareth Moore will annoy you at some point. On his day he's excellent, although he's inconsistant and fancies himself (not a bad thing for a number 7?) maybe a bit too much. Is he better than Finn / Kane - i'm not too sure.

Walmsley wouldn't have been in our first choice 17 this year, so logically, he wouldn't be in Rovers considering thier squad and budget, and seems to have been signed on the back of one game. He does define that awful cliche of 'putting your body On the line' though.

So good look chaps (and Rovers) and thanks for the memories . . .

#57 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

agree with most of that assessment and it's been well documented that John Bastian was at that Batley game (and Walmsley did play very well that day). Moore has a bit to prove for me and Fev fans tend to take more to the blue-collar, roll-your-sleeves up types, but it's handy to have some half-back cover as we have been lucky in terms of injuries with Finn and Kain (though Andy seems to play through injury a lot). Hirst has always had that "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" thing thrown at him, but to be fair he has been more effective when I've seen him lately, including in the grand final. I'm hoping that Flanagan's acquisition means Ellis will be starting games, he is the outstanding hooker in the division and needs more minutes for me, Flanagan as an impact player off the bench for half an hour looks the way forward there. My concern is that it's not going to be easy to get any improvement out of players who have played for John Kear, but on the other hand,if they don't bring plenty to the table they simply won't get a game with that squad.

#58 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

In all fairness to Hirst, he's improved out of sight under John Kear. I remember seeing him play for us against Hunslet some years ago, and he was a real waste of space. However, he's still not a level where I'd have expected the divisions most ambitious club to sign him. Liam Walmsley is full of effort and vigour, but he's simply not big enough and unlikely - at nearly 25, to improve in that respect. I'm just glad that John Davies had s stinker against you at The Mount.

Posted Image

#59 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

..And then we've got to understand that we were fortunate to beat Batley in both our league matches..and then lo and behold they were allowed to come back from 18-0 down in a semi final of the play-offs..not bad players then in my mind;

Aided and abetted by the inept performance of our lads in the second half. Wonder what were the odds on that?.

#60 phildog

phildog
  • 309 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

I hope you're not confusing kicking game with goal-kicking. Moore's field kicking isn't brilliant, more often than not it's straight down the middle or to the corner in hope, I've never seen him complete a 40-20 for example or get a good result from a kick. Goal-kicking is another matter, he can land them from anywhere, as you already know, so weigh both sides up carefully. My thoughts on Hirst and Walmsley have already been aired on your a treat.site. Your best bet of an immediate success is George, livewire and will bring you lot on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users