Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Batley imports

Are they necessary

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#61 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

Really excited to see Flanagan and Ellis rotating at hooker next year.......with a pack that's gonna be better than this year we'll take some stopping.

And hopefully when it comes to the crunch we've got someone who can drop a goal too  ;)

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

#62 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

Sounds like Lamont Bryan is, in fact, leaving Fev - along with another very surprising departure from your forward pack. Looks like big Keegan might end being a Fev first choice after all!

Posted Image

#63 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,042 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Sounds like Lamont Bryan is, in fact, leaving Fev - along with another very surprising departure from your forward pack. Looks like big Keegan might end being a Fev first choice after all!

like we said earlier. ... this deal replicates the black/Handforth swap.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#64 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,199 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

Very interesting indeed
Im Fev and im proud

#65 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Moore will have alot to learn to read the game like Finn does

Moore was signed when Finn was on his way to Halifax. If Finn and Kain stay fit cannot see how Moore will get many games. Cannot see Moore being a replacement for Kain with Kain being a 'running' halfback and Moore a 'organising' halfback.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#66 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

personally i can see tommy saxton makeing way with the wingers we'v signed

#67 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Haven'y seen this announced can you give more dxetails?

#68 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

Haven'y seen this announced can you give more dxetails?

It hasn't been announced...yet.

Posted Image

#69 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

personally i can see tommy saxton makeing way with the wingers we'v signed

Looks like your correct on this one

#70 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

Looks like your correct on this one

Would be sorry to see Tommy go, he still causes lots of problems for opponents with his elusiveness and off loads
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#71 Bazzer

Bazzer
  • Players
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

If you read the comments on the Hunslet forum regarding our new flying winger, it will make you wonder why we signed him.

#72 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

If you read the comments on the Hunslet forum regarding our new flying winger, it will make you wonder why we signed him.

Ahh yes Hunslet, they were vast scorers every week scoring umpteen tries especially for their wingers

No disrespect to them, but they probably didnt utilise or have the players to utilise Chisholm

As for signing him, Martin Offiah made a career out of just being fast, he wasnt that skilled really or that much of a decent defender one on one and not the best under the high ball, however give him a bit of broken field or a chink of light in the corner.......just saying like

#73 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

Ahh yes Hunslet, they were vast scorers every week scoring umpteen tries especially for their wingers

No disrespect to them, but they probably didnt utilise or have the players to utilise Chisholm

As for signing him, Martin Offiah made a career out of just being fast, he wasnt that skilled really or that much of a decent defender one on one and not the best under the high ball, however give him a bit of broken field or a chink of light in the corner.......just saying like

Incorrect. Offiah had absolutely fantastic, almost magical.footwork that, allied with his pace, enabled him to beat defences with ease. Definitely not just a sprinter, but a very talented rugby player as well. Having pace is, in itself, not enough to be a success. There are many examples of the latter.

Edited by TheTerminator, 14 October 2013 - 01:13 PM.

Posted Image

#74 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

Would be sorry to see Tommy go, he still causes lots of problems for opponents with his elusiveness and off loads

I didn't mean he was leaving just think he won't be first choice winger although if the new lads don't perform and Saxton gets in it will be hard to leave him out

#75 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:01 AM

Unbelievable.

Did you ever actually see Offiah play? - "He wasn't that skilled really".  REALLY??

#76 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

i saw him play numerous times both live and on the TV and to be honest i thought his skill levels limited to the fact he could run damned fast and had decent footwork...but i'm struggling to see any other skills.... :(

his passing from dummy half was slow and laboured,his tackling non existent and were it not for wigan signing a certain Gene Miles (who even at the end of his career was head and shoulders above any british centre) i'm not sure he would have scored as many tries at domestic level..he certainly never replicated it in internationals,but then he never had a decent centre who could give him the service and the Australians knew how to keep the ball away from him when defending and never gave him space.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#77 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

i saw him play numerous times both live and on the TV and to be honest i thought his skill levels limited to the fact he could run damned fast and had decent footwork...but i'm struggling to see any other skills.... :(
his passing from dummy half was slow and laboured,his tackling non existent and were it not for wigan signing a certain Gene Miles (who even at the end of his career was head and shoulders above any british centre) i'm not sure he would have scored as many tries at domestic level..he certainly never replicated it in internationals,but then he never had a decent centre who could give him the service and the Australians knew how to keep the ball away from him when defending and never gave him space.

What attacking skills other than great footwork and pace would you want in a winger? Offiah was actually just as prolific when playing outside the relatively unheralded Darren Wright at Widnes than with any of his centres at Wigan. I'm not at all keen on the guy due to his post-career involvment in the game, but he's the best winger I've ever seen play the game. Some of the tries he scored were utterly astonishing, and relied on balance and footwork as heavily as any pace. Brimah Kebbie - a contemporary, was actually quicker than Offiah, but lacked any of the innate ability that set Offiah apart. Almost a try a game at international level tells a story that he was a very special player.

Edited by TheTerminator, 15 October 2013 - 02:39 PM.

Posted Image

#78 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Unbelievable.

Did you ever actually see Offiah play? - "He wasn't that skilled really".  REALLY??

He always claimed that he wasn't the fastest either. He reckoned he was the fastest over ten to twenty yards and then could maintain his lead. He was defeated over several exhibition races at various times. My personal memories of Offiah was that he was fast, had a great body swerve, good footwork and could beat a full-back - which are pretty decent attributes for a winger.

I think one thing is for certain, he would be a walk-in (or a run in) to the England team right now. The bottom line is, he knew his way to the try line!

Edited by distantdog, 15 October 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#79 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

He always claimed that he wasn't the fastest either. He reckoned he was the fastest over ten to twenty yards and then could maintain his lead. He was defeated over several exhibition races at various times. My personal memories of Offiah was that he was fast, had a great body swerve, good footwork and could beat a full-back - which are pretty decent attributes for a winger.
I think one thing is for certain, he would be a walk-in (or a run in) to the England team right now. The bottom line is, he knew his way to the try line!

agreed!!! Was it him who once scored 10 try's in a game against leeds???
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#80 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

Anybody who watched Offiah would realise he was an extremely good player not just a speed merchant. I can think of numerous fast players even even timers who didn't reach his standard.