Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Batley imports

Are they necessary

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#101 Monkeymagic22

Monkeymagic22
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

Finn is entering the latter years and Briggs has hardly played during the last 2 years. When fit Moore will get plenty of game time and will flourish at Fev.

#102 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

Finn is entering the latter years and Briggs has hardly played during the last 2 years. When fit Moore will get plenty of game time and will flourish at Fev.

If Moore gets in before Finn or Briggs we have problems Finn is the best half back in the division and is consistent ask any championship club which half back they would sign and everyone would have Finn

Be intesting to see what happens if the Fev fans get on his back if he's not performing

#103 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

Ill tell you what happens - if the player isnt performing he will be dropped - even if it is Finn

Maybe a drop is what some players need as some appear to be coasting through their Fev careers knowing theyre in week in week out and need a reality check - signing replacement players for every posistion may not be such a bad idea after all

Moore will easily get in before Briggs, Briggs barely played in a year and got work to do to even get a look in

Edited by elppaxr2i, 19 October 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#104 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

Feath have the cover for injuries now and the luxurious advantage of a second team as we all know but I give moore 6 months and the majority will be nursing his weak shoulder and awkward ego.

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#105 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:58 PM

Ill tell you what happens - if the player isnt performing he will be dropped - even if it is Finn

Maybe a drop is what some players need as some appear to be coasting through their Fev careers knowing theyre in week in week out and need a reality check - signing replacement players for every posistion may not be such a bad idea after all

Moore will easily get in before Briggs, Briggs barely played in a year and got work to do to even get a look in

He may have been signed because of a doubt about Briggs, and Hepworth might be on his way out, but for me the most effective line-up over the last few years was when we beat Cas and ran Wigan close, with a fully fit Briggs and Heppy playing as twin stand-offs from 6 &13, not giving Rangi Chase a look in. With the new imports it looks like we will sadly never see that pairing again, and its a pity because on defence, Briggs is head and shoulders above most half-back in the Championship, and Hepworth's not far behind. Everybody has gone on about what Moore can do when he turns it on and how poor he is when he doesn't, but nobody has said what his defence is like? I've not seen enough of him to make a judgement, but if it's nothing special we couldn't play him and Kain together!

#106 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

Looking at moore you would think he makes burrows look big but we all know its technique and he can hold his own when it counts but ideally he, s a speedbump or 2nd man in.

menzie yere tore his shoulder to shreds years back when moore tried to put a hit on him?!

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#107 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

Looking at moore you would think he makes burrows look big but we all know its technique and he can hold his own when it counts but ideally he, s a speedbump or 2nd man in.

menzie yere tore his shoulder to shreds years back when moore tried to put a hit on him?!

Not many small guys can handle Menzie, but on the other hand he struggles in defence against the little 'uns. Andy Kain mesmerized him when we last played them, but also struggled to hold him when he had the ball. 

#108 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,183 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:48 AM

Moore is a waste of space, he will ruin the dressing room, hes done it at every single club he's been to, the kid is a dreamer who still thinks hes the best half back in the game, his gob will git him into trouble with either the coaching staff or the fans, cant see him staying at Fev as he simply isnt good enough to unseat what you already have so will start sulking all over again.

#109 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

is it just me or is anyone else thinking that next year could be a ###### season

#110 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,062 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

is it just me or is anyone else thinking that next year could be a ###### season

no. Its not just you.
I'm finding it difficult to enthuse when on the face of it at least.... some of the ins aren't as good as the outs!
But... I've been proven wrong afoore. I'm hoping to be wrong again.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#111 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

no. Its not just you.
I'm finding it difficult to enthuse when on the face of it at least.... some of the ins aren't as good as the outs!

In terms of most of the Batley incomers, I think a lot of us feel like that. I suspect our key additions might be from elsewhere, though - Cording, Nicholson and Uaisele are the interesting ones for me, and how we fare might depend more on how those three go than the Batley contingent.

#112 sandalrover

sandalrover
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Robin/Bigjohn
I felt exactly the same, and then I wrote down -
Hardman
Chisholm
Uaisele
Worthington
Sharp
Kain
Finn
Crossley
Ellis
Nicholson
Spears
Cording
Briggs
Subs - Flanagan,Bostock,Roche,Mendeika.
I felt a lot better. This was straight off the top of my head and isn't meant as a correct starting line up. A few things still concern me -
- mood of the dressing room, hopefully the lads will come to terms with a lot of change in a very short space of time
- if a were a "Batley import" ..... if the comments on the forum don't motivate me to make us all eat our words, then they are at the wrong club and we've signed the wrong men.
I'm counting the days off to the start of the next season so I can dispel all my fears.In my darker moments there's a whiff of "Barrow Des". I think I need to have a word with myself after supporting all these years. Our issues and problems are a million miles away from the dark days only a few years ago.

#113 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,062 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Robin/Bigjohn
. Our issues and problems are a million miles away from the dark days only a few years ago.

Indeed.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#114 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Moore is a waste of space, he will ruin the dressing room, hes done it at every single club he's been to, the kid is a dreamer who still thinks hes the best half back in the game, his gob will git him into trouble with either the coaching staff or the fans, cant see him staying at Fev as he simply isnt good enough to unseat what you already have so will start sulking all over again.

I will give him a chance as he's at the club I love but every one I talk to says he is not good enough for Fev and he thinks he's better than the rest of he team. If he does then I hope the new coaching staff sort him out but he is not better than what we have and I hope players are selected on performance and because he is the coaches mate

#115 Monkeymagic22

Monkeymagic22
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

Moore did ok in the Semi Final, and for me did a better job than Liam Finn looking ice cool under the pressure of those goal kicks. And to be honest it wasn't that long ago he was at a SL club.

To be honest I prefer not to listen to junk spoken by fans,and will let my eyes be the judge of the player.

After all I can't remember too many fans being overjoyed when we signed Liam Finn from Dewsbury.

#116 The Blues Ox

The Blues Ox
  • Coach
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

I would take Liam Finn over Gareth Moore every day of the week. If your coaching staff still arnt sure if they want him or not then Im sure he would still be more than welcome down at the Shay.

#117 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Moore did ok in the Semi Final, and for me did a better job than Liam Finn looking ice cool under the pressure of those goal kicks. And to be honest it wasn't that long ago he was at a SL club.

To be honest I prefer not to listen to junk spoken by fans,and will let my eyes be the judge of the player.

After all I can't remember too many fans being overjoyed when we signed Liam Finn from Dewsbury.

Spot on, how wrong were we all over Finn

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#118 Monkeymagic22

Monkeymagic22
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

I might be in the minority of one on here, but for me Liam Finn is well overrated. He's a good goal kicker and decent positional kicker, but to be honest he's too slow to make any clean breaks and I don't see him creating that much through his passing either.

Don't get me wrong he's a solid player, but no better than that.

#119 phildog

phildog
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Well, well! Having just ploughed my way through 7 pages of related (and unrelated) posts I'll say again; Moore is a terrific goal-kicker and has a good eye for the line. His field kicking is poor, rarely gets a result from it, always too far ahead of his chasers, often down a defenders' neck, never seen him make an effort at a 40/20. Flanagan is a live-wire, what you see is what you get, 100% all the time, great for team spirit on the pitch, temper a bit suspect though, might spend a game or two at the RFL's pleasure if you get my meaning! Hirst is a big lad who has rarely hit the heights, rarely comes on to the ball at pace, but has massive legs which can take him an extra 20 yards with men on his back, so swings and roundabouts. If John Kear hasn't been able to change him, don't back anyone else to. ot a great handler, will lose you plenty possession. Also, Walmsley, he's a poor handler, not the biggest 2nd rower you'll find and IMO always was more of a squad player that a star, and at 25 going on, can't see much improvement. So that's my assessment of what you've got, time will tell if you agree or don't. there are 2 we'll miss, 2 we won't, but which 2 I'll leave you to find out for yourselves!!

#120 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

Now we have lost Finn, Brian and Hepworth and today Mckay these lads will get their chance to see how they respond to our new coach Bastian. Although after all the knocking, Finn has gone to Cas. We all rated Powell so maybe he sees something the Finn knockers didn't. Time will tell. But I wish himwell and am sorry to see him go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users